Jesse Capin search, new video

Nov 2, 2009
"Deputies suspect foul play may be involved because there is no sign of him," she said. "Even if he would have been eaten by wild animals, there would be shoes and clothes left behind."
While searching for Capen, Maricopa County sheriff's deputies came across two prospectors armed with handguns in the desert, Burnett said.

The deputies took the guns from the men to test them to see whether they had recently been fired, she said.

Burnett said her son probably shouldn't have gone there unarmed, but he was a trusting "gentle giant," standing 6-foot-4 and weighing well over 200 pounds.

Read more:
http://www.denverpost.com/recommended/ci_14208899

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
Finding a lost hiker is tough enough, but when you throw in the TH aspect, things get very unpredictable. To add a glimmer of hope to this case, let me say that last year a similarly-sized and equipped search effort was carried out in similar New Mexico terrain for a Lost Adams seeker. Two weeks - no clues. Search was suspended. A month later, the subject walked out of the search area on his own, in good shape, said nothing and left the area. You never know.

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
B.C.,

Just a thought, but Jessie's mom was looking in on this Forum. She may still be doing that, and your comments are way out of line. Think of how you would feel if it was your son, and you read such thoughtless comments.

I hope you will give the lady some consideration here.

Joe Ribaudo

Azhiker

Jan 8, 2010
At this point in the search, it would be a blessing if his disapearance was a hoax or a publicity stunt. At least he would be alive and well.

The search as it stands is at a standstill. Search and Rescue units are doing little if anything and have gone into a recovery and information gathering mode. After over 100 persons combed the area around his camp and where they thought he might have gone, no clues were found or sign of him. A few persons are privately going out as time and weather allows, hopefully, one of them will run across something and end the nightmare for this family.

The recent storms that blew through Arizona have dumped a lot of water in the Superstition Mountains. The creeks Jesse would have had to cross, Tortilla and Peters and possibly LaBarge were running at flood stage during the storms and were not able to be crossed. They should be down again by today or tomorrow. With this water will come a very rapid growth of new grass and brush and tree growth making the search even more difficult. Areas of bare ground can have grass a foot high in a month after rains like Arizona just had. While hope for finding him alive has faded, people have survived incredible odds under incredible circumstances before. Hopefully others will be out looking whenever they can and their efforts will lead to his being found. In the meantime, my prayers are with Jesse and his family.

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Azhiker,

The Sheriff's Office had their helicopter over the area again last Sunday, without any sign of Jessie.

All of our prayers are with him and his family.

Joe Ribaudo

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Since the official search is over, these pictures and the information that will follow may be of use to those who are still searching for Jessie:

JeepDriversLicense.jpg

Tent.jpg

Map.jpg

This was the initial search area.

Joe Ribaudo

Azhiker

Jan 8, 2010
Thanks cactusjumper, hopefully someone might use the search areas on the map to find Jesse.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Ditto to the words of our amigo AZHiker, <thanks Joe> and our prayers are with Jesse & family.

OP
OP
djui5

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Springfield said:
A month later, the subject walked out of the search area on his own, in good shape, said nothing and left the area. You never know.

Wonder how much Gold he found? :hello2:

I don't know if Jesse's mother still looks in on this forum, but I doubt it. She is still very shook up from all of this and just wants answers/her son returned home. That is all. Believe me when I tell you she is still distraught by the whole thing. What mother wouldn't be?? Seriously.

She said to thank everyone who is looking, and she can not express how much it means to her. So thank you to all of you who are helping to find this guy.

I still have plans to go in and look, but the weather keeps getting in the way.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They just pulled some people out of the rubble in Haiti after a couple weeks being trapped, so there's hope for him. Say a prayer & hope the rains hold off.

Nov 2, 2009
Capen planned to spend a month searching for the gold mine. He had been there before to search.

Thousands of others have searched in the Superstition Mountains looking for the mine during the past 140 years.

In the 1840s, the Peralta family of Mexico mined gold out of the mountains, but Apaches attacked and killed all but one or two family members as they took the gold back to Mexico. In the 1870s, Jacob Waltz — nicknamed "the Dutchman," even though he was a native of Germany — rediscovered the mine with the help of a Peralta descendant, according to legend.

Violence has always been linked to the search for the mine. Waltz reportedly shot people who followed him whenever he ran out of money and returned to the mine for more gold. He died without revealing the location of the mine. Movies have recounted the popular tale.

Authorities have found skulls of prospectors with bullet holes in the Superstitions.

While searching for Capen, Maricopa County sheriff's deputies came across two prospectors armed with handguns in the desert, Burnett said.

The deputies took the guns from the men to test them to see whether they had recently been fired, she said.

Burnett said her son probably shouldn't have gone there unarmed, but he was a trusting "gentle giant," standing 6-foot-4 and weighing well over 200 pounds.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Santa Fe New Mexican wrote
Capen planned to spend a month searching for the gold mine. He had been there before to search.

I thought this was his first trip into the Superstitions? Also, I was not aware that Jesse had planned to be a month - do we have any details about what his plans were, other than to be home by Christmas?

Santa Fe NM also wrote

Well I don't know whether to make anything of finding two prospectors armed with handguns - most prospectors carry handguns, they are lighter in weight and you rarely ever use them, so a handgun makes more sense than packing a rifle or shotgun, which can get to feel like you are dragging a cannon on your shoulder. I (almost) always carry a handgun when out prospecting or treasure hunting. <Not in Canada of course, only a long gun is legal there.>

Being a trusting person can indeed get you into trouble if you run in with the wrong people, but at this point I don't think we can make any conclusions concerning Jesse other than we have not yet located him.
Oroblanco

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread