Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just talked to Jeff Hobbs from PLP.

He says there is more behind the decision to close Lost Dutchman State Park.

He suggested that the very first thing we do is to exercise the Freedom of Information Act, in writing, by certified letter, and ask all the important questions - including the exact information on the agreement for the trailheads that people have asked about, why they are closing it, and, if they would reconsider if the extra $9,000+ dollars could be raised.

He (Jeff) went through how to write the letter, etc., and I am going to do that today, and mail it by certified letter. I will have that mailed out today, if I can. Monday at the latest, because our Post Office is not open on Saturday.

He said it is a good possibility that this has not as much to do with the park, as it does about closing roads that they wanted closed a few years ago. The way we will be able to tell, for sure, is if they are receptive to keeping it open if there was a way to fund it.

Also, for those who care, they have arrested a gentleman who had a little Camel on his own claim, took his equipment and his truck, for some infraction that the little Camel caused. They told him he could get his stuff back, if he paid a "matching fine" for littering on public lands.
(apparently, this just happened in the last couple of weeks) - so - be careful out there guys.

The officials have fired the first BIG shot!

B

OP
OP
SANTA FE NEW MEXICAN
Nov 2, 2009
The Arizona State Parks Board on January 15 voted to keep nine parks open and close the remaining thirteen State Parks in a phased series of closures starting February 22, 2010 due to six different State Parks funds being swept of $8.6 million. In addition, four parks remain closed due to previous budget reductions.

Parks will be closed in a phased sequence starting on February 22, 2010 and include Homolovi Ruins State Park in Winslow, Lyman Lake State Park in St. Johns and Riordan Mansion State Historic Park in Flagstaff.

The next park closings will occur on March 29, 2010 and will include Fort Verde State Historic Park in Camp Verde, Roper Lake State Park in Safford, Tombstone Courthouse State Historic Park, Yuma Territorial Prison State Historic Park and Tubac Presidio State Historic Park.

The final phased closings will occur on June 3, 2010 and will include Tonto Natural Bridge State Park near Payson, Alamo Lake State Park in Wenden, Lost Dutchman State Park in Apache Junction, Picacho Peak State Park and Red Rock State Park in Sedona.

OP
OP
SANTA FE NEW MEXICAN
Nov 2, 2009
The remaining parks will continue their agreements with other entities or will be passively managed by an adjacent park. These include Boyce Thompson Arboretum State Park in Superior, Sonoita Creek State Natural Area, Verde River Greenway State Natural Area and Yuma Quartermaster Depot State Historic Park.

Four parks would remain closed. These include Jerome State Historic Park, McFarland State Historic Park in Florence, Oracle State Park, and San Rafael State Natural Area.

For more information about the 27 State Parks, statewide hiking opportunities, off-highway vehicle trails, and other outdoor recreational and cultural opportunities in Arizona, call (602) 542-4174 (outside of the Phoenix metro area call toll-free 800-285-3703) or visit AZStateParks.com. Follow us on twitter.com/AZStateParks.

OP
OP
SANTA FE NEW MEXICAN
Nov 2, 2009
Welcome

Join Us at
Save Our State Parks Rally
at the Capitol
February 1st
Governor Brewer's
Plan to Kill the Heritage Fund
Parks Talk! December 2009 Issue

Gov's Task Force on Sustainable State Parks recommendation

ASU's Morrison Institute for Public Policy publishes "The Price of Stewardship: The Future of Arizona's State Parks"

SUPPORT YOUR STATE PARKS...

•DONATE NOW and support the work of Arizona State Parks Foundation;
•Sign and circulate "SAVE OUR PARKS" petition

•Send the following message to GOVERNOR JAN BREWER & YOUR LEGISLATORS
•ATTEND FEB 1st "Save Our State Parks" Rally at the Capitol
Message To AZ State Legislators:
Don't Wreck What Already Works Economically for AZ!

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By all means, sign the petition.

But know that there is a much bigger force going on for these parks - they (they being people like the Sierra Club and Nature's Conservancy), want control of the land, they want to manage the land, and they are and will use money to do this - Its the "the government cannot afford it, so put it in our hands and it will be taken care of" mentality, and then you can kiss them all bye-bye.

Here's the rub - your legislators do not have the final word on this. It is not decided in Congress.

Write your own letter to the Arizona Parks Department.

B

OP
OP
SANTA FE NEW MEXICAN
Nov 2, 2009
"Write your own letter to the Arizona Parks Department." Thank You Beth Lets Get Busy! We Are Americans And We Have Rights!
And I cant Speak For everyone? """"But The Last Time I Heard It Was Still A Free Country!""""

maui

Dec 3, 2007
maui, hawaii
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
these people want to close all the land they can and will not stop.they are radical groups.
just my opinion. ron

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just throwing up your hands and saying "that's what they do, there is nothing we can do to change it - THAT is the attitude that they count on.

Then that gives them "carte blanche" to do whatever they feel like doing. From there, since our country is pretty broke - they will hand it over to an entity that has lots of money and are willing to "take care of it for the people" - and in comes the Sierra Club and Nature's Conservancy - because, in order for them to handle the land - they insist on complete control.

I have fought this kind of crap before - and lost both times. But, it is my hope that there will be more people who will be willing to fight - really fight this garbage, and start take our public lands back. Back in 1994, when they passed S:21 - nobody thought the bill would go through - well, it did. Much like our NAFTA agreement - "the people" did not get involved - we all hated it, but we didn't get involved to any great degree - so, the tie-breaking vote came from Dole - who did it in return for a favor for him. We cannot let that happen again.

The biggest say we have - is our vote - no politician can survive without our votes. That's the very reason why Sierra Club and Nature's Conservancy have so much power - they have thousands upon thousands of people who are part of their clubs - people who think that anyone who doesn't have their "hobbies" and who are convinced, by them, that people like us are destroying the US. They have never set foot on a modern mining claim, or gone anywhere that doesn't have a fancy motel to stay in - but they believe what the Sierra Club and those types of folks are telling them - and they vote their way. Add to that, the clubs brainwash their members on a regular basis and they have lots and lots of money to campaign for politicians. Sierra Club campaigned vigorously against finance reform for 501(c)4 corporations (which is what they are), because they did not want to stop their money funneling. They called it (quoted from their statement) "The Sierra club opposes legislation that would put further controls on First Amendment rights. This corporation (because that's what they really are) has been around since 1892 - over 100 years, with 1.3 million members, give or take - and have more political influence than any corporation whould have. They have trips for their members to places we are not permitted to set foot on.

Its easy to sign an online petition, but its not as effective as writing a personal letter to the right people. And that means the people who actually are in charge of what is happening. When Congress does a budget, a certain amount is alloted to parks, etc. However, they are not told what to spend on where - each park, Forest Service, BLM office - they each make their own decisions on how to spend that money.

So, sign your petitions - but make the effort to email personally to those who hold the power - not just the legislators, but the people that they appoint (to the BLM, The Park Services, national and state-wide, etc.).

Remember, right now it is a few parks - but, truth be told - your money - my money - has already been spent at those places - our tax money built those places - they have no more right to take them away, then they have the right to take your home as long as you pay your taxes. Add to that, everytime they get away with taking away something WE own, the more they will take. Get ticked off and be part of the solution.

B

maui

Dec 3, 2007
maui, hawaii
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i agree mrs. oro
if all of us stand by and do nothing, more of our freedom and rights will be taken away. we have to stand together and not let this happen.
just wanted to say what i believe. thanks much. ron

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would also help if we increased our "membership", so to speak. It is not just the md-ers and prospecters who lose when they withdraw or close public land - there are 4 x 4 clubs, bike clubs, mountain bikers, atv-ers - they also end up losing places to play.

If all you want to do it drag your camper somewhere and cook out and look at the hills, or take a little hike once in awhile, then, those folks will not miss it. But if you have an activity that you enjoy that the high and mighty don't do - (like we do), then we will all be SOL.

B

jrandy

Jan 13, 2010
San Angelo TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett GPT 1350, Predator
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True true what a shame. My young sons and I just found the park and loved it . We were planning to make it a yearly trip.I guess this will be the second and last. :(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread