mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As you know, there are petitions circulating that can be signed.

I have also invoked the Freedom of Information Act - so that we can find out the exact specifics on operating expenses, if they are open to a public way to keep it open (a dollar extra, or whatever), what there responsibilities are at the Lost Dutchman Park and the Superstition Wilderness, including accesses and trails, and how long the closure is expected to last (there are other things in the letter, but these are the basics).

That will take a few weeks to get back, I'm sure, and the park is scheduled to close during the first part of summer, so we may have time yet.

Also, the PLP is waiting to hear from me, when I get the answers from the Parks. They may be able to help - it will depend on the answers.

In the meantime, I still suggest writing - not to the Congress - but to the Park System involved, as they get a budget, and they are the ones who decide what stays open and what doesn't.

B

B

OP
OP
SANTA FE NEW MEXICAN
Nov 2, 2009
Beth. Any word Yet on Saving the Park. Am I safe, to assume, to send in many tourist's before it closes? Or would increased tourism even save the park? Beth?

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not heard back from anyone, as of yet.

The park is not supposed to close until June, so, if you are planning something in April, I don't think it will affect anything. Besides, you don't have to go through the park to get to Bluff Springs.

Apache Junction is considering "adopting" the park, which would keep it open - actually, they have made up some preliminary paperwork to annex the area. However, the laws being what they are, it would probably have to go to a special commission, so, we will see.

B

dustcap

Apr 1, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo, Minelab Sovereign XS 2 Pro and Fisher 2 box
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mrs.oroblanco said:
As you know, there are petitions circulating that can be signed.

Beth,
I live in Scottsdale and didn't know about the closures until lunch time today when I saw the headline in the Arizona Republic newspaper "Costs to close parks eat into state savings." It includes a color 5x7 photo of the 'Flatiron' section of the western face of Superstition mountain. (named so by Tom K in his own words "...because it looks like one.") Caught my attention big time. First thing I did when getting back to work was look on the Forum to see what is going on. I thought I would find something here from Scott Wood from the forest service as he usually keeps us pretty well informed.
I have not heard anything about the petitions you mention... could/would you enlighten me?
Thanks,
Ken 'dustcap' Chichester

dustcap

Apr 1, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo, Minelab Sovereign XS 2 Pro and Fisher 2 box
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SANTA FE NEW MEXICAN said:
Hello Beth! I really want to save the park for future generations. Can we? Will we? Lets use this thread for that purpose and any info or """"ideas"""" regarding that purpose. Saving Our Lost Dutchman Park!

Lost Dutchman Park is only a small portion of the Superstition Wilderness. Basically it is the western face of Superstition Mountain and the parking lot/camping area about a half mile northwest of Siphon Draw (Flatiron area) which is northeast out of Apache Junction, Arizona. That area is mostly a hiking starting point for people on a day trip. It is also directly across the road from the restored ghost town which is a major tourist draw to the area. Bob S. who is the owner of this attraction would probably be the one most directly affected by the park closure.
ken 'dustcap' Chichester

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Dustcap,

I believe that Goldfield and the Museum would be directly affected, among many others. In fact, there are probably places in Apache Junction that will hurt, too.

Their take on it, that they had said, was that they were short a little over $9,000 - and there are some "online" petitions you can sign.

However, individual messages would be much better. Plus, Apache Junction is talking about "annexing" the park - but, I'm not sure that they could keep it open, and if they did - how a town could manage a "public" holding (I am worried that someone like Nature's Conservancy or Sierra Club would become involved, and that would be horrendous, imo) Everything they touch turns to gold - meaning it becomes expensive and generally off-limits or super-restrictive.

I'm trying to get some information (on exact numbers and budget, etc.) through the freedom of information act, but, so far, no good.

The thought behind it being - if we could do something publicly to save it and keep it open - or if they would even entertain the idea.

Originally, I was told they have 3 weeks to answer, but I just recently found out that they can say, after the 3 weeks that they need to "look into it", so, right now, I'm not too happy.

I'm still urging everyone to write to the park on an individual basis, as that is more effective than mass signings that usually end up in the round folder (wasterpaper basket).

B

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Ken,

Scott does not know any details about what is going on with the Lost Dutchman State Park. He states: " I know State Parks is scrambling to sort things out with the closures." Scott, IMHO, is one of the "good guys".

Take care,

Joe

OP
OP
SANTA FE NEW MEXICAN
Nov 2, 2009
Apache Junction, others work to save Lost Dutchman park
by Jim Walsh - Mar. 15, 2010 08:51 AM
The Arizona Republic .
Apache Junction might be getting a late start in efforts to save iconic Lost Dutchman State Park from closure in June, but the beleaguered Arizona State Parks department appreciates any help it can get.

And that help seems to be coming from all corners.

• A Harley-Davidson motorcycle dealership is planning a ride to raise money to keep the park open.

• The Friends of Lost Dutchman State Park is scheduled to meet for the first time Thursday night.

• And Apache Junction officials are in the process of negotiating a memorandum of understanding with the state parks department to provide low-cost ways to support the park.

The park, a casualty of the state budget crisis, is one of 13 scheduled to close June 3. It lost $9,545 in fiscal 2008-09.

Mark LeResche, who co-owns Superstition Harley-Davidson with his wife, Beverly, says the park closure would be another blow to business at the worst possible time.

"We don't need another black mark. Consumer confidence is very low," he said.

Steve Filipowicz, Apache Junction's economic-development director, is spearheading city efforts to save the park, which pumps about $4.1 million a year into the city's economy.

But Filipowicz said the agreement the city is crafting falls short of the initial vision of annexing and operating the park because of technical issues and a lack of funds.

"It's in the too-hard-to-do pile right now," he said, but the memorandum may serve as step toward eventual annexation.

Under the proposed agreement, the city would support adding electrical outlets to 38 campsites and installing more parking, both of which are considered critical to helping Lost Dutchman turn a profit.

The $415,000 project, paid for by federal funds and state Heritage Fund revenues, would start construction this summer and potentially help make Lost Dutchman profitable in the fall.

But Filipowicz cautions that the project would be scrapped if the Legislature sweeps the Heritage Fund money. It remained in the parks department's budget as of late last week, a parks spokeswoman said.

Other measures in the memorandum are periodic police patrols to deter crime and assigning people working off city-court fines to pick up trash and maintain trails.

At 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Cristie Statler, executive director of the Arizona State Parks Foundation, will be the featured speaker at the first meeting of the Friends of Lost Dutchman State Park, which will convene at LeResche's dealership.

Statler said she hopes the group will fill a major void in advocacy for the state-parks system.

Compared with groups in Camp Verde, Flagstaff and Yuma, Apache Junction is "a little late to the party" but their help is vital, Statler said.

"Those people live there. This is their park. All of our state parks belong to everyone."

OP
OP
SANTA FE NEW MEXICAN
Nov 2, 2009
Texan donates $8,000 to keep Lost Dutchman State Park open
by Jim Walsh - Mar. 20, 2010 12:00 AM
The Arizona Republic .
A philanthropic winter visitor from Texas stunned a crowd of Lost Dutchman State Park supporters by plunking down a check for $8,000, enough to keep the threatened park open for about one month.

Taylor H. Sanford Jr.'s generosity culminated a meeting where Assistant Arizona State Parks Director Jay Ream told supporters hoping to keep the park open that they need about $25,000 to keep the park open during the slow summer months.

Sanford, who winters in the Leisure World retirement community in east Mesa and lives in Katy, Texas, said he read The Arizona Republic's account of the park's plight as legislative budget cuts threaten to close it June 3.

"We don't want to see it go," Sanford said.

Hours before making the donation Thursday, Sanford, 76, said he and a group of friends from Leisure World hiked four miles in the park.

"I happen to be very fortunate. I'm good at managing my money," said Sanford, a retired airline captain for defunct Trans World Airlines. He said one of his previous projects was funding Wilderness on Wheels, a wheelchair-accessible trail and campground in Colorado, in honor of his late wife, Jane Patterson Lee, who was disabled toward the end of her life.

"It's not major charities but things that affect people locally," he said.

"I like to see where the money is going and what it's doing."

In this case, Sanford's donation is to a dedicated account set up for Lost Dutchman by the Arizona State Parks Foundation. With his donation, announced by Sanford at a meeting of about 120 people, the philanthropist said he was attempting to kick-start donations to keep the park open.

"I hope it encourages others to do something similar," he said.

OP
OP
SANTA FE NEW MEXICAN
Nov 2, 2009
Lost Dutchman enthusiasts raise $13,000 to keep park open The generosity of supporters who jammed a meeting room at Superstition Harley-Davidson in Apache Junction proves their affection for Lost Dutchman State Park as its closure date approaches.

But with $13,200 now donated after one meeting and a Friends of Lost Dutchman State Park group in formation, the park's previously bleak prospects are looking much better.

So much so that Cristie Statler, executive director of the State Parks Foundation, a non-profit organization, is already predicting that a closure likely can be avoided.

"These folks love our parks. That audience the other night demonstrated that with their generosity," she said.

Despite the donations, Statler said its important to understand that the Arizona State Parks Department costs $34 million a year to operate, and that a reliable source of revenue is required beyond the generosity of individuals.

Lost Dutchman, an iconic park featuring the west flank of the Superstition Mountains, is scheduled to close June 3, a casualty of severe state budget cuts.

State park officials say they can manage to keep the park open in June, but supporters need to raise $25,000 to keep it from closing during the slow months of July, August and September, when some people take early hikes to avoid the heat.

But Statler notes the drive is already halfway to its goal, thanks largely to two benefactors.

His eyes welling with tears, philanthropist Taylor H. Sanford Jr., 76, of Katy, Texas, announced an $8,000 donation at the meeting. That's enough to keep the park open for about a month.

Afterward, Warren Meyer, president of Recreation Resource Management, quietly handed Statler another $5,000 check, even though Assistant Parks Director Jay Ream had criticized privatization as an option for keeping the state parks open.

Ream said privatization often leads to commercialization.

"They're out to make a profit. We're out to make an experience," Ream said.

Recreation Resource Management operates 35 campgrounds around the state and also partners with Arizona State Parks on concessions at Slide Rock and Patagonia state parks. The company has offered to take over operation of several parks.

But Meyer said Ream's commercialization argument is misleading.

"I run parks the way the public authority wants them run," Meyer said. "I can't repaint a line in the parking lot without their permission."

Meyer said he thinks Lost Dutchman is "a beautiful place," that it is the closest park to his home and he has taken his children there for visits. He said he went to the meeting as research for his business, but also was working on a corporate giving plan.

"This is a private gift from Mr. Meyer, not a company check," Statler said. "It was a generous gift from an individual who wants to help Lost Dutchman."

Sanford said he likes to make a big impact on local causes, rather than donating to such large organizations as the American Cancer Society or the Red Cross. Sanford lives part-time in Leisure World, an east Mesa retirement community.

Sanford said he was prepared to write a check for more than $8,000, actually $9,545, to cover the actual cost of the 2008-09 fiscal deficit that got Lost Dutchman designated for closure.

But that was before Ream explained it normally costs $24,000 a month to operate the park. He said $25,000 in contributions can keep the park open in the summer because of layoffs and other cutbacks, and because the campground will be closed for construction.

"I actually got away a little lighter," Sanford said.

The construction project will electrify 38 sites, allowing the park to become profitable in October, when it is scheduled to reopen, Ream said. It will be financed by $500,000 in federal grants and $500,000 in state Heritage Fund money raised through Arizona Lottery sales.

Federal funds and Heritage Funds can be used only for capital improvement projects, not for operating expenses, under various regulations, he said.

Steve Filipowicz, Apache Junction's economic development director, was thrilled that about 120 supporters turned out for the meeting and by the donations.

"This is the most positive event I've been to here," he said, during his three years in Apache Junction.
by Jim Walsh - Mar. 26, 2010 01:11 PM
The Arizona Republic

OP
OP
SANTA FE NEW MEXICAN
Nov 2, 2009
Bikers, hikers, horse riders out to save Lost Dutchman State Park
by Jim Walsh - Apr. 8, 2010 04:06 PM
The Arizona Republic .
Bikers
, hikers and horsemen are part of a diverse group of people who are coming together to save endangered Lost Dutchman State Park from closing due to state budget cuts. Community activism and unity is turning into the "silver lining" of the budget crisis.
http://www.azcentral.com/community/...8/20100408-save-lost-dutchman-state-park.html

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like it's a case of "where there's a will, there's a way." They're gonna find a way to close it down no matter what it seems.

*sigh*

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Guys,

Even though we live in Lake Havasu, we can't imagine why the State would even entertain such a stupid piece of legislation. Why would they lease out a park that makes them so much money, and take less?

It becomes obvious why the State is going broke, or is broke, and why they are unable to manage their budget. This is exactly the way the whole country is going.

2012 can't come quick enough. Earth needs to start over from scratch. Terminal stupidity is destroying us.

Take care,

Joe

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Their stories (and I have emailed several of those politicians involved, and others), are all different. First, they said they needed $8,000 - when someone came up with 8 grand, then it was only good for a month. Then Apache Junction said they would try to do something in the way of taking care of it - then, the answers changed. Then there was a fundraiser. And the 8 grand turned into a different number. Then there was this "support meeting", and now X number of dollars will only cover it with the grounds under construction.

Its all political, and its all BS, AND, not 2 of the people involved have the same answers. Everyone says something different. And, the budget is not see-able by the Freedom of Information act, because they haven't finished the budget. So, they have their own agenda, and they are going to stick with it - we will find out when its all said and done.

And Joe is right - that is the reason MANY places are going bankrupt. You can adopt a highway, and you can contribute to the parks, of all kinds, but you cannot adopt THAT particular one. The budget for it increases every single time you hear someone talk. If they cannot afford to run it, how the heck can they afford to do construction?

It is all BS - and, when its all said and done - don't be surprised if one of the environmental groups owns it. Some deal has been made somewhere.

B

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread