Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Slightly off topic - related to Pinal Sheriff's Office & Search/Rescue

Those who live in the area have undoubtedly seen this, but since Search & Rescue has become a topic here recently as it relates to the missing hiker (Jesse Capan) I thought I'd post a link to this newspaper articles. There's a VERY disturbing trend that pops up here in regards to cooperation between the Sheriff's Office and Superstition Search and Rescue in my opinion.

http://www.ajnews.com/vol14/020110/pdfs/0201_com_AJNW_A1.pdf

Peerless67

Jul 26, 2007
ENGLAND & CALIFORNIA
Detector(s) used
Eyes, ears and common sense
Re: Slightly off topic - related to Pinal Sheriff's Office & Search/Rescue

Personality conflict !!!!

That should surely be put aside when peoples lives are at stake.

Just my personal opinion, I think the sheriffs Dept should automatically call search and rescue it would mean that the missings persons family would not have to worry about doing that...if they even know they have to !!!
Has there been any further news about Jesse ?

:coffee2:
Gary

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I, too, think they should automatically be called.

But, you have to remember this: SAR and SSAR are two entirely different entities in that area. And, the Sheriff's office aside, SAR (Search and Rescue) has had ongoing issues with SSAR (Superstitions Search and Rescue).

SSAR has to be given the go-ahead by family members or the sheriff's office, or they are not allowed to go in. (at least in Maricopa county, I'm not positive about Pinal).

Beth

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS

Search and Rescue procedure in New Mexico:

1. Subject is reported missing by whomever, for whatever reason, to law enforcement.
2. NM State Police is alerted either directly by reporting party, or by Sheriff, Police, etc., and begins investigation of incident.
3. If the incident is not a law enforcement issue (criminal), but requires search/rescue effort, the NMSP initiates a SAR mission and turns over complete control to the NMSAR Area Commander, who assigns a mission number, an Incident Commander for field operations, and begins assembling resources. The search teams and other resources are on the road normally within hours of the NMSP mission initiation. All SAR personnel are volunteers with varying degrees of professional-level training.
4. The SAR organization is completely in charge of all aspects of the mission from start to finish. The NMSP monitors and provides laison as necessary, since the SAR mission is a NMSP activity.
5. When located, the subject is legally required to be debriefed by SAR personnel as to his activities, experiences, circumstances of becoming lost, etc. NMSP may or may not be present for the debriefing.
6. If subject is located deceased, the mission becomes a law enforcement issue and the NMSP, Medical Examiner, etc. assume control.
7. Detailed mission reports, shift assignments, personnel rosters, communications logs, debriefing interview, etc. are sent to NMSP/SAR.

The local police, sheriff's offices, etc. do not get involved with SAR missions.

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona

Paul,

There are these kinds of mini-battles among many of our various departments. It's not unusual at all.

I have heard that the Sheriff's Office wanted to absorb a SAR that was, basically, working within their own organization and command. They declined because they wanted to remain independent.

On the other hand, I believe they did join the search for Jesse. A number of civilian searchers have also joined the post-search efforts, including Aurum.
None of them, that I know of, have found any trace of the man.

Gary is correct, but there are problems with two or more search commands. It's the Sheriff's Office that has the lead as far as the counties are concerned.
Liability becomes a big factor to consider. Who is responsible if a searcher is hurt or even dies while on a search.

No matter how well intentioned rescue efforts are, there are people who will sue if anything goes wrong. If one organization disagrees with the methods of the other, and a victim is reached too late, it could end up in the courts.

Putting all searchers under one command and insurance policy seems to be the best way to go. Anything else would become a nightmare.

Arizona SAR is not the same as New Mexico's.

Take care,

Joe

AZDreamer

Feb 5, 2010

I do not have experience in Arizona but it would seem to me that if there was an opportunity to locate Jesse that the local government would welcome volunteers that are so familiar with the area to help search for this gentleman.

Maybe if they gathered a list now of local "experts" they could enlist their help in determining the likely path of the lost individual. I do sure hope that Jesse is lost in the wilderness (his mother did teach him how to survive) and that he will walk out with some gold. But after the search has wound down I see no trouble in enlisting local experts to help them cover ground to locate the individual.

The rescue personnel, I am sure, are making the best effort possible to locate Jesse. The recent rain and flooding will make it difficult but I hope his disappearance is purely coincidental.

I am new to this forum and respect many of you so I hope you do not find my comments objectionable, including Jess's Mother in the event she is looking in. I pray for your Son.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions