LDM Secrecy versus Deception

Nov 2, 2009
Secrecy & Deception dovetail, and once you decide to keep something secret you have automatically bought into the possibility of also having to practice deception to keep it secret. It is entirely possible to practice secrecy without resorting to deception...(although you may well use deception to maintain your secret). If no one intrudes on your privacy, you will have no need to use deception.
Secrecy: For our purposes....secrecy is defined as keeping something private by refusing to disclose certain information to certain parties. This information could relate to information, memories, hiding places, activities, or any knowledge that you decide not to share (or to share selectively), with the appropriate person or group.
Deception: is defined as actively taking steps to protect a secret. This includes things such as preemptive steps, diversions, overt activities, and of course lying. Deception is used to protect "secrecy", and by definition includes overt actions (such as lying) to protect a secret and/or prevent it from being discovered or verified.

OP
OP
SANTA FE NEW MEXICAN
Nov 2, 2009
There is NO Perfect or Failsafe Approach To Keeping Secrets

Simply stated...there is no such thing as a secret that can never be found out, a hiding place that can never be found, or a secret activity that can never be discovered. Given enough Time, Resources, and Motivation any secret can be found out. This does NOT mean that you can't be successful at keeping your secret. It DOES mean that if someone is extremely motivated, has sufficient resources and enough time...they will find out your secret.

OP
OP
SANTA FE NEW MEXICAN
Nov 2, 2009
(EXAMPLE OF SECRECY): """"This large cavern in the Superstition Wilderness Area""""
will probably be explored one day and turn out to be
another Arizona natural wonder. Until then, the """"secrecy""""
of its location protects it from vandals."""" Quoted From Tom Kollenborn

Quinan Bear

Nov 7, 2008
Grande Prairie Alberta
SANTA FE NEW MEXICAN said:
(EXAMPLE OF SECRECY): """"This large cavern in the Superstition Wilderness Area""""
will probably be explored one day and turn out to be
another Arizona natural wonder. Until then, the """"secrecy""""
of its location protects it from vandals."""" Quoted From Tom Kollenborn
You must be talking about the vault found under a layer of granite and the entrance faces west?
All will be known.

OP
OP
SANTA FE NEW MEXICAN
Nov 2, 2009
The LEAST GUARDED SECRET:...(the Weakest Link)

This concept says that as a group...all of your secrets are only as secure as your least guarded secret. This parallels the old adage that "a chain is only as strong as its weakest link". The premise is, if one of your secrets gets discovered, the discoverer will then have reason to suspect / believe you have more secrets and re-double their efforts at searching....even if they are not sure what they are searching for. This also applies to various portions of a more complex secret (Like a secret Activity). One small revelation can bring down the entire secret.
The Moral of this story...pay attention to the details.

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was your "get together" in the Superstitions in April SFNM? I was thinking it was supposed to be around April 20 - how did it go?

OP
OP
SANTA FE NEW MEXICAN
Nov 2, 2009
People too often have their secrets discovered (and suffer whatever consequences may come from that discovery), because

(1)they tried to keep a secret that was too complex and had too many uncontrollable variables to reasonably expect success.
(2)they tried to keep a secret that was already known by too many people
(3)they tried to keep a secret where the logistics of keeping the secret simply exceeded their capabilities to keep the secret .

OP
OP
SANTA FE NEW MEXICAN
Nov 2, 2009
One Last Thought... If this process seems too underhanded, too sneaky, or just too much work...then I strongly suggest you reevaluate your reasons for keeping your activity secret and your commitment to keeping it secret.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Hola amigos,

This issue is a complex one. From the discovery to today, the Lost Dutchman mine has a history of secrecy and deception. Waltz, for instance, kept his mine secret from even his neighbors up until he was nearing the end of life. The two 'camps' among Dutch-hunters, generally divided into the Petrasch followers and the Holmes followers, continue the tradition of keeping information secret.

Joe Deering, one of those alleged to have found the Lost Dutchman, did not keep his discovery a secret. He frankly told his co-workers at the Silver King mine about what he had found, but kept the exact location to himself. Whether his mine was in fact the Lost Dutchman is debatable, for what he found had not been covered or concealed, while Waltz made it a point to his friends that his mine had been very well concealed - so well that he said, 'it is hard to find even when you know where it is' - though most likely in Deutsch of course. Deering's ore was a rose quartz, which if an accurate description is probably not from the same vein as Waltz's ore, IMHO.

Walt Gassler tried to tell his friends Bob Corbin and Tom Kollenborn that he had found the LDM too, but unfortunately he passed away before giving exact directions to what he had found.

In recent years we have had several people come forward with claims of having found the Lost Dutchman and-or Peralta mines, unfortunately none have shown any ore samples which could be compared with the known specimens from Waltz so these remain un-proven (in my opinion) and again we are left wondering. ??? :icon_scratch: :dontknow:

***By the way amigo Santa Fe NM - how did your April gathering on Bluff Springs Mtn go? I was not able to attend, but you did say that you were going to make all of your info public, afterwards right? Thank you in advance, ***

Oroblanco

:coffee: :coffee2:

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good evening my friends: Being open with things that cannot be truly hidden, many times is the best cover for the things that may be more important.

Example. I have Tayopa, before I ever posted a single thing on it I made sure that it was titled and in my wife's name. Only then did I post any data on it. Many were shocked and showed disbelief initially with my posts, especially with my disclosure of where it actually is with photographs, and co-ordinates.

However, what they didn't take into consideration, was that it is readily located due to the title having precise details on it's location, to the millimeter. This is easily accessed from the division of mines in Mexico city.

My safety lies in the simple fact that I have never disclosed the actual hidden entrance, but by freely disclosing the actual location I have forestalled any further investigation of the property 'OR' IT'S DEPOSITS'. This is one reason for it still being closed. It has to wait until the proper papers / protection have been received.

This is simply one way to gain protection by simply telling the truth. There are many.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions