OP
OP
cactusjumper

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Re: 2010 DUTCH HUNTER'S RENDEZVOUS

Greg Davis has confirmed, this morning, that he has "reserved the Dons Club Base Camp at the foot of Superstition Mountain for the 2010 Lost Dutchman Rendezvous on the 22th, 23th, and 24th. of October.

I didn't have much time to concentrate on how many people showed up last year, but 100 does not sound unreasonable for a total. Everyone had a great time, and there were many women and children at the event. In other words, it's a real family outing.

Hope to see more members of TreasureNet this year.

Take care,

Joe

lotsofgoats

Tenderfoot
Jul 17, 2010

What exactly takes place at this event? Do people actually team up and search for the LDM North of Weaver's Needle?

If so is it suggested you bring a firearm?

There are a few key areas I would like to explore...

SGnAZ

Aug 20, 2008

lotsofgoats said:
What exactly takes place at this event? Do people actually team up and search for the LDM North of Weaver's Needle?

Lots of folks show up and share their war stories about the LDM.Usually a speaker will have a campfire chat on Fri night,a couple of good ones the past 2 years.
Most people break off into their own groups,if you're not a "member" of the LDM community,you tend to be somewhat ignored,not entirely,but it happens.We will probably not be attending this year.
Have fun

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SGnAZ said:
lotsofgoats said:

Lots of folks show up and share their war stories about the LDM.Usually a speaker will have a campfire chat on Fri night,a couple of good ones the past 2 years.
Most people break off into their own groups,if you're not a "member" of the LDM community,you tend to be somewhat ignored,not entirely,but it happens.We will probably not be attending this year.
Have fun

I know what you're saying SGnAZ - I feel badly hearing you say that, but I do understand what you mean. The first time I attended, I already had known a few people through the forums here and had done alot of "prep" work in reading some of the books and stuff. Even with that, you're right that you can feel a little "lost" amongst the old timers who mention stories, places, people etc... that you may never have even heard of.

It's not really set up as an event full of displays, information sessions, etc... like one might think of when you hear about it. I can see how if you're really not "into" the Lost Dutchman Mine legend history, you may find yourself a little bored or feeling isolated.

I can promise you however that it's NOT the intention of those folks organizing it to make people feel unwelcome or anything. If you just love sitting around listening to some of the history of the LDM legends and Superstitions, you can pull up a chair anywhere and I don't think anyone would ignore you.

I hope you and your wife do stop by again this year - even if only for the Friday or Saturday night "talks."

OP
OP
cactusjumper

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona

Dear Steve and Kathi,

"Most people break off into their own groups,if you're not a "member" of the LDM community,you tend to be somewhat ignored,not entirely,but it happens.We will probably not be attending this year."

It's truly disheartening to read your post. I hope you change your mind and make the effort to attend.

With the help of a few friends, I held the first Dutch Hunter's Rendezvous at Twin Buttes, near Florence. We were there with a purpose, and that was to find the scrapings on a hillside in the area. Around 35 people said they would attend, only 13 of us showed up. Of course I had stew/garlic toast and sausage and gravy with mom's biscuits ready for around 40 people. Roger brought salad for everyone.

We all sat under the shade at my trailer and talked about people and the history of the LDM. As it was a small group, the conversation was lively and flowed where it wanted. We discussed the LDM, history, Native Americans (mostly Apache) and religion. I doubt anyone felt left out. Carolyn was the only lady there, except for Gloria who showed up with Brad on Saturday. They only stayed for the day.

Each year I set up my trailer and provide as much shade as I can. We bring extra chairs and everyone else usually has their own. I try to bring enough stew/garlic toast for everyone for Friday night. Roger always brings salad. We do the same for biscuits and gravy for Saturday morning. To be honest, that got a little out of hand last year, as we probably had 75 people show up. We served ' till we ran out of food. I always bring extra.

What we have lost since that first Rendezvous, is the ability to have quiet, intimate conversations with our friends. Carolyn tries to do everything she can to keep me free to mix with the folks, but when it gets that big and I am trying to act as camp host, it gets hectic. We set up our camp hoping to accommodate everyone under the shade.

Speaking for Carolyn and myself, we will miss you guys if you don't show up. I apologize for not spending more time with all of my friends who showed up last year. I can assure you it's not because I didn't want to. I wish you guys had been at the first Rendezvous.

What you do get at the Rendezvous, is the chance to talk to many people one on one. Small conversations break out all over the place. Anyone who attends is welcome in any of those small talks, as long as the participants don't ask for privacy. No one should feel slighted if that happens.

Take care,

Joe

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)

Hola amigos,

Always Lost - sorry to hear that about your brother. I had hoped that his health would turn around and improve. Beth & I are planning to attend this year, barring some catastrophe of course, and it would be nice to meet you in person. I hope that our amigo Don Jose will also attend.
Roy

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good morning BB: About your brother, check into the modified Reams treatment, It cured me of a case of terminal neck cancer. If' n I can do it, so can he. EM me if you wish.

[email protected]

As to the Round- I will try my best, but I may have a group that wants to checkout my property up in the Sierra during that time - when, is the question.

After all, I just HAVE to meet the woman that was capable of putting up with 'Oro de Tayopa' all of these years. Of course a pair of nice, friendly slurping Barfs helps.

Don Jose de La Mancha

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BUMP

dustcap

Apr 1, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo, Minelab Sovereign XS 2 Pro and Fisher 2 box
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cactusjumper said:
Greg Davis has confirmed, ...the 2010 Lost Dutchman Rendezvous on the 22th, 23th, and 24th. of October.

...Hope to see more members of TreasureNet this year.

CJ
Looking forward to seeing you, et al, at this year's Rendezvous.
Do you have anyone lined up to speak yet? Not that it matters, as everyone I have heard so far was well appreciated and very informative.
Would it be possible to have a little more light at the disscussion meeting? I for one would like to take a few pictures and/or movies of the event but the lighting was insufficient in the past to get much. It doesn't require a hollywood set but just a few strategicly placed light bulbs would be excellent. If I had a generator I'd bring it. Perhaps someone else does and would.
Thanks for your efforts to make the last ones a success.
-Ken "dustcap" Chichester

OP
OP
cactusjumper

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona

Ken,

In answer to your earlier question, I was asked to post this announcement here:

The 6th annual Dutch Hunter rendezvous is scheduled for October 22nd 23rd and 24th at the Dons camp just off Peralta road on the 109th anniversary of Jacob Waltz's death. Our Guest speaker for Saturday night this year is Author Jack San Felice. Jack will be giving a presentation on J.D Walker. The gate to the camp should be open Thursday afternoon for our out of town guests and other early arrivals. Remember there is no water available at the site, but there are rest rooms on site. All fires must be contained and horses should be kept in the upper camp area adjacent to the entry gate.

Our Saturday night campfire has seen such guest speakers as Clay Worst, Dr Thomas Glover, Jesse Feldman, Bob Corbin, Jack San Felice and others. The Friday night campfire will be open to any and all speakers.

Saturday morning we will be taking a hike to Geronimo's cave. For those interested we will be leaving early and in 2 groups. The more adventurous will follow up Cardiac and take the cave trail to Devils slide. For those who are looking for something less challenging, there will be a 2nd group hiking the Peralta trail to the cave.

As there are 3 separate sites with active forums concerning the LDM, I have asked Paul Shimek to provide information on the Desert USA forum, Joe Ribaudo on the Treasure net site and Randy and I will post and field questions here on the Lost Dutchman site.

Several years ago Kraig mentioned that it would be fitting to have some sort of award or recognition of Dutch Hunters at the rendezvous. We have never been able to make something workable but did provide recognition each year in the way of our guest speakers and/or coffee cups. I would like some ideas on how to rectify and incorporate this in a better way. I hope we also can give some recognition to the surviving families of those who came before us in this way. I have an outline of what I think would work, but would like to hear from everyone on their thoughts and suggestions before I move forward on this.

Carolyn and I will provide stew and garlic toast 'til it runs out Friday night. Roger will provide salad. Anyone who wishes to add their own dish to the mix is more than welcome. We have an 18 Qt. Nesco cooker that we fill up, so that will feed a pretty good crowd. We ran out last year, so if your late, you may find an empty pot.

Saturday morning, we will have mom's Italian Sausage Gravy and home made biscuits. Same deal. We serve it 'til it's gone.

We bring a gas barbecue, and everyone is welcome to use it whenever they like. We always bring ourselves steaks for Saturday night, but you can all do your own thing. We will have shade and tables set up all weekend. We have a few extra chairs, but you should bring your own.

You should bring your own drinks, and a little firewood never hurts. We had more kids and wives last year than ever before. I believe they all enjoyed the weekend.

Wayne, Greg and Randy do us all a great service by setting this event up every year. Make your plans now, and don't miss out on the Dutch Hunter's Rendezvous.......again.

I will be happy to answer all questions.

See you there,

Joe

dustcap

Apr 1, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo, Minelab Sovereign XS 2 Pro and Fisher 2 box
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cactusjumper said:
"In answer to your earlier question..."

Thanks Joe,

I copied the entire post to a file that I can pull up and print or email to friends I have invited to attend. It answers all the possible questions they might have.

Any word about some additional lighting at the campfire presentations? The first year I was there someone had a portable light that was great. I can only surmise the power came from some attendee's generator. If that same someone, or any other person can bring one I will bring the gasoline or pay them for it. I have no idea how much gas it takes. Let me know. I have an area work light, just need power to turn it on.

How big of a sample does someone need to test for a match with the LDM gold?

See you there,
-Ken

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used

Extra lighting for a campfire presentation? :icon_scratch: Doesn't that kind of defeat the whole campfire type of atmosphere? Just curious, it doesn't matter to me either way.
Roy

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dustcap (Ken) was hoping for additional lighting for photographic reasons Oro. I'm not a big photo person myself so I don't care much one way or another - I guess if I had my preference, I like the "atmosphere" of just the campfire.

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Just a reminder BB.
You can take it to the rendezvous,but they won't let you ride them on the trails.
With good reason.....SH.

Attachments

• JD trail bike.jpg
    JD trail bike.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 1,815

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good Lord SH - what websites are you frequenting?? :laughing7:

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That was the centerfold for "Big Toys for Big Boys".....the bike,I mean
Looks like that fella's got two.
;D

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Blindbowman said:
"You can take it to the rendezvous"

i will not be going to the rendezvous ,, this year or any other year for that matter ..

what a shock ::)

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used

Quote from: Blindbowman on Today at 03:58:11 PM

i will not be going to the rendezvous ,, this year or any other year for that matter ..

Huh? Why not? Wouldn't you like to meet some of our friends from here, and hear the experts? Just curious, I do understand about other things needing our time and attention.
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used

Blindbowman said:
Oroblanco said:
Quote from: Blindbowman on Today at 03:58:11 PM

Huh? Why not? Wouldn't you like to meet some of our friends from here, and hear the experts? Just curious, I do understand about other things needing our time and attention.
Oroblanco
cup and mike is why ...

"experts" you are kidding right ...lol

clay worst is the expert i have seen yet .. joe would be a close second

I would suggest letting any differences of the past remain with the past, for the opportunity to meet friends and hear the guest speakers but apparently you do not regard anyone as experts other than Clay & Joe; and by your attitude it is clear that something else is the real reason so I won't pester you about it. Sorry you won't make it, I would have liked to meet you in person; Beth and I have not been able to attend even one of these rendezvous and are very much looking forward to it - for the purposes of meeting friends and hearing the guest speakers, which I guess would not be enough reasons for you. Good luck and good hunting amigo I hope you find the treasures that you seek.
Oroblanco

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread