Missing Hikers

Nugget Hunter Smith

Jun 18, 2010
Mobile, AL
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it looks like the Superstition Mountains and the LDM claimed another 3 lives. When are people going to learn that you do not go out there in the summer months?
One of the three had to be rescued last year also and did not learn a thing from his past experience.
I feel sympathy for their families and their loss.
Not only do they endanger themselves by going out at this time of the year but the rescue personnel put their lives in danger trying to find them.

lotsofgoats

Tenderfoot
Jul 17, 2010
My question is are they even looking in the right area? Someone mentioned the hikers had John V Kemms map allegedly pinpointing the LDM...

1678460_f496.jpg

Has anyone surveyed this particular area before? Perhaps they found the LDM and were killed as speculated with Jesse Capen.

Not smart to try something like this at the hottest time of the year.

Jan 6, 2010
They are still missing without a trace. Its kind of odd that all 3 would have vanished at the same time, but try this simple exercise.

1) Make sure you have some sort of medical condition that requires daily medication.

2) Hike from First Water into the Boulder Basin area on a 110 degree day

3) Dont take alot of water with you , cause you are coming back out that same day

4) Get lost.

See how that goes.....

Those guys are, I am sorry to say, gone. Thats 4 within a year.

Ranger

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not familiar with this area or treasure hunting for the LDM..but is it also possible that just maybe they did find something and it was booby trapped? just weird not a thing on even finding their remains. Either way, prayers out to their families..

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bootybay said:
I am not familiar with this area or treasure hunting for the LDM..but is it also possible that just maybe they did find something and it was booby trapped? just weird not a thing on even finding their remains. Either way, prayers out to their families..

I guess anything is possible, but I think the odds would be much higher that they came across a cave, old mine shaft, etc... and all decided to go in for a look and didn't get out for one reason or another.

I hope for the families sake that if they didn't survive, at least their remains are found one of these days - not ever knowing has to be devastating every day.

Nov 2, 2009
They are still encouraging people to look out for the men though. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• A Possible Trail.jpg
    A Possible Trail.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 3,244
  • A Possible Trail.jpg
    A Possible Trail.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 1,100

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PAULWYO said:
They called off the search. :'( sorry guys.

Not called off, but dramatically scaled back.

Lots of locals also still going out looking.

Mike

BILL96

Mar 29, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
LST
Age's 67,62,51, two with medical conditions and 110 degrees, at first glance not the intelligence of a 12 year old between them, a tragedy. Maybe we do not know the whole story.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
chkn said:
You know what I find amazing is so many are NEVER found....scary.

While I find it very strange that not only these three, but Jesse Capen from last November as well have just disappeared like a fart in the wind, I know it's not impossible because the Supers are about 245 square miles of wilderness, but it IS VERY UNUSUAL!

Best-Mike

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is very unusual,and troubling as well.A cave in,bad air in a mine or a rockslide are all possibilities.One other possibility is a large bee swarm,especially if they were well off trail.That is about the only thing that really makes me nervous out there and,depending on the time of year,I've always got my eyes and ears open.I had to make a quick downhill retreat to a creek bottom last April when a large swarm came down a draw towards my position.The sound was near deafening as they paused around a clump of mesquite above me,before moving off down the draw.That was the second such swarm that I have witnessed out there so far.The other possibility,of course, is some form of foul play.Hopefully,that is not the reason for Either Jesse's disappearance or that of these three gentlemen.

Regards:SH.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BEES!

That's one I hadn't thought of. I have been very lucky several times when I came too close to a big swarm, and had to slowly back down a gully.

Also, in SoAz, I understand that almost any swarm you find are likely to be Africanized.

Mike

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
off topic a little bit, but are there any precautions a hiker can take in regards to bees? Any way to protect oneself?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread