missing (total missing and or dead)

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
Die or severely injured in the Superstitions. It's easy. Hell I went off the same cliff area twice in the last 2 months. First time a 4 foot boulder I was standing on gave way. Flew through the air boulder and all. Landed face down on a pile of boulders. Ouch. I hit so hard my military pants spit and my nuggets flew out. Second time I was making my way down a embankment covered with round river rock. No mater how careful you are you step on round rock on a slope you going for a ride. Landed on my back with my left hand ending up in cactus. Yep forgot to put my leather gloves on. I swear this spot is haunted. Same place the snake chased me.
Every old timer that spent time in the mountains can list the lessons. My list is growing!

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
Frank, too bad Mary wasnt there when those nuggets flew

Ralph

It only hurts when I laugh Ralph. Nothing like the feeling of flying through the air off a cliff in the Superstitions. My head hit a boulder and bounced three foot. My head is ok but the rock cracked in half. My partner thought I was dead. I stood up and said NEXT

rfjj

Greenie
Jun 15, 2010
Frank,
Glad you're ok, even those rugged Supersition rocks are no match for those hard Pennsyvania heads.
RJ

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not survival situations, there are a lot of gunshots on that list...just saying, what is the wrong "type" of person found it long ago and gets greedy...would not be the first time someone is killed over gold

I personally would fire a shot back at the ground. Just to let them know I am armed also.

This no lie. A buddy and i moved to Florida years ago, with his wife. 30 years,ago.
We found a house to rent on the South side of St Pete.
We where all moved in, and after dinner he walks out the back door with his 11.25mm auto pistol.
Fires 2 rounds in the ground.
I immediately ask what the h___ was that about.
He replies now the neighbors know Im just as bad as they are.
Never was bothered.

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
It only hurts when I laugh Ralph. Nothing like the feeling of flying through the air off a cliff in the Superstitions. My head hit a boulder and bounced three foot. My head is ok but the rock cracked in half. My partner thought I was dead. I stood up and said NEXT

Frank 1, Rock 0.

290229.jpg

aztrezhunter

Apr 28, 2014
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250 Garrett Freedom Ace 1950's Whites MD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More people have died in Yosemite National Park than all those in the history of the Superstition Mountains and surrounding areas. See the book: "Off the wall, Death in Yosemite by Michael P. Ghiglieri and Charles R. Farabee, Jr." The book is over 600 pages. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis
The Superstitions are still in business...and business is good.

dpdkld

Jun 28, 2009
Missouri
hmmm I think I had a same experience you have...putting up a deer stand and below raising the ladder with wife at ladder legs. I keep pushing up and all of a sudden the ladder stand ( a two person one to boot) slides off the tree and smashes into my head. Wife is split pea soup and so is my scalp, all I feel is a warm sensation which is blood racing down my noggin. So i rip off my sweat shirt and wrap it around my head and off we go for a mile walk to the car which is a 72 blazer with a 4 inch lift and 35's with crappy steering that she doesn't really want to drive and put us both in a ditch. So a phone call and ambulance later i'm feelin good with 2 vikodin in an emergency room and fifteen stiches later. It happens when you least expect it...

coyotegal

Greenie
Dec 6, 2013
Copper Corridor, Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here's few more for the list.... (I searched treasurenet before posting this and couldn't find the names below so forgive me if this info has been posted already)

KENNY CLARK
July, 7th, 2012
The body of missing 56-year-old Arizona hiker, Kenny Clark was found , nearly a week after he was
reported missing in the Superstition Mountains.
Kenny Clark, an avid hiker, never signed in on the register at the trailhead entrance, so search crews had
no idea where he was headed. Because his family claimed he knew the mountains, the searchers suspected he
had fallen or somehow injured himself.

CHRIS HENSLEY
April 2013
Superstition Search and Rescue (SSAR) traced Chris Hensley's steps into the Superstition Mountains and
located his remains in an area known as No Name Canyon.
He fell about 200 feet off the flat face of a massive rock, that he slammed against at least two rock ledges
before landing on the ground. death investigators say that his broken ribs punctured his left lung. Battered
and likely near death in the unattended wilderness, he apparently managed to crawl partly under bushes
before he died.

Absurd-Ginger

Jun 3, 2015
Gilbert
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I feel anyone who knows a damn thing about the supes should know the risks involved when out there. Its not a playground some like to think it is.. But as a motorcycle rider for 10years in the valley, i feel more safe out in the back country than i do riding down the roads in the valley. Some of the deaths in the SW are intresting to say the least. But for the most part, its realitivly safe now of days. Bring at least 4 liters of water on even a day hike, Carry a firearm, a GOOD well thought out first aid, and a few other things and your set. Precaution, muscle memory and knowledge are your allies when out in the wilderness. Never go beyond your comfort zone and mentally never giving up and prepairing yourself can be the difference between life and death.

captain1965

Apr 12, 2015
Mesa
Detector(s) used
fisher gemini 3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out there today for a 7hr hike. Very hot and a few snakes out. Even with plenty of water, protein and potassium i was very exhausted. But at 50 years old I think I weathered it ok. lol I would recommend waiting till fall.

Absurd-Ginger

Jun 3, 2015
Gilbert
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Went out there today for a 7hr hike. Very hot and a few snakes out. Even with plenty of water, protein and potassium i was very exhausted. But at 50 years old I think I weathered it ok. lol I would recommend waiting till fall.
I just ran up to whiskey springs for no good reason last monday and killed 5 liters of liquid in 5 hrs. I hear you buddy, the humidity has been really off and on which can really zap you with the heat. The summer is one of those times where you learn to enjoy the short time spent in the SW heat in the best way you can. Also hyper light packing/gear can help, walking sticks and staying cool can make things a bit more pleasant. The bugs have been really bad these last few weeks. But all that matters Captain is that your out there enjoy the present moment and smiling my friend. And fall will be here before you know it ��

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The type of clothig has a great deal to do with it. The conventional way wth a belt and tucked in shirt is the worst; Use suspenders, loose fitting pants and a free foating shirt. This assumes proper head covering.

Just misc data that I have picked up while working the Mexican deserts.

Las Vegas Bob

Aug 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just ran up to whiskey springs for no good reason last monday and killed 5 liters of liquid in 5 hrs. I hear you buddy, the humidity has been really off and on which can really zap you with the heat. The summer is one of those times where you learn to enjoy the short time spent in the SW heat in the best way you can. Also hyper light packing/gear can help, walking sticks and staying cool can make things a bit more pleasant. The bugs have been really bad these last few weeks. But all that matters Captain is that your out there enjoy the present moment and smiling my friend. And fall will be here before you know it ��

And sunscreen, I learned that the hard way after having had three bouts with skin cancer in the last two years, one from my scalp (half dollar size patch), one my nose (eraser sized patch) and one my forearm (dime sized patch.)

Absurd-Ginger

Jun 3, 2015
Gilbert
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
And sunscreen, I learned that the hard way after having had three bouts with skin cancer in the last two years, one from my scalp (half dollar size patch), one my nose (eraser sized patch) and one my forearm (dime sized patch.)
Im not looking forward to getting old :laughing7: With my red hair, pale skin, and history of skin cancer... Ill be right there with ya Vegas in no time at all. Plus i just cant help but go outdoors any chance i have.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread