missing (total missing and or dead)

donnaplace

Banned
Jul 18, 2010
Oroblanco said:
Greetings,

Is there a "curse" relating to the infamous Lost Dutchman mine and / or the Superstition mountains? The local Pima Indians held the mountains in some respect and even fear, and had a legend of an ancient flood in which people were turned into stone pillars. (Hence the name "Superstition" mountains; to the Spanish the mountains were known as "Espuma" (which means "foam") for the line of limestone in them, which Pima Indians told them had been where the foam from the ancient flood had reached.

There have been all kinds of fantastic tales told about the Superstition mountains, from wild bands of Apache warriors still holding out in the mountains to Aztecs living in caverns, UFOs, dimension-doors and even more incredible reports. There is the strange "coincidences" involved with one of the worst disasters of the Second World War and the famous Roosevelt Dam. Roosevelt Dam was constructed using stone from the Superstitions, and some 22 deaths were involved in the construction of the dam. When the first water came over the overflow was saved, it was used to christen a famous battleship - the USS Arizona. Some 25 years later, the Arizona became the most disastrous loss in the Japanese surprise attack on Pearl Harbor and more than 1000 men went down with the ship; though many of the damaged US battleships were later raised and repaired, the Arizona remains lying on the bottom of the harbor, where a monument now stands on her structure. Coincidences?

We have all heard of the talk of deaths in the Superstitions too. I have not been able to obtain an exact number of the people who have lost their lives or simply gone missing in those mysterious, brooding and beautiful mountains. By some estimates there are over 600. Here is a partial list of some of the victims of the "curse".

1847-ish A massacre of a group of people occurred in what is today known as "Massacre Field" - the victims were either Mexicans or Pima Indians, caught by Apache warriors.

1870s, exact date unknown - Jacob Weiser, partner of the Dutchman Jacob Waltz, died of wounds received by attacking Apaches after escaping the mountains to a nearby ranch.

1880 - Two soldiers who had shown rich gold ore in Florence went into the Superstitions and disappeared; later their remains were found, with a bullet hole in their skulls. (This may be an incident which occurred in the Four Peaks region in truth)

1884 - Pedro Ortega was found shot dead some thirty feet from the home of Jacob Waltz, dead of shotgun wounds. Waltz told the sheriff that Ortega's partner shot him after "borrowing" Waltz's shotgun, but many believed that Waltz himself had killed Ortega.

1891 - a legend was born the night that Jacob Waltz, the "Dutchman" himself, died.

1892 - the last known death caused by an Apache attack in the Superstitions, Charles Dobie. Any relation to Frank Dobie?

1896 - the first reported beheading in the Superstitions, the victim being Elisha M Reavis (brother to the famous forger James Reavis) who lived the life of a hermit on Iron Mountain and sold garden produce to locals; some referred to Reavis as the "Madman of the mountains".

1910 - The skeletal remains of a woman were found high in a Superstition Mountain cave; gold nuggets were found next to the remains, but no remnant of any kind of clothing!

1931 - Dr. Adolph Ruth was found dead, his skull detached from the body with a 44 caliber hole through it; Ruth had told two prospectors he had possession of a map to the lost gold mine, these men packed Ruth into the mountains and later took his car. The authorities ruled the death "natural causes"!!! Well I guess you would naturally DIE if you are shot through the head with a 44!!!

1934 - The Superstition Mountains claimed the life of Adam Stewart

1936 - Roma O'Hal was hiking in the Superstition mountains, and died from a fall.

1938 - Prospector Guy "Hematite" Frank was found dead in the mountains with a sack of gold at his side. Another "accidental" death?

1948 - Treasure hunter James Cravey, age 62, was found dead in the Superstitions. His body was discovered first, and six months later his skull.

1949 - James Kidd vanished in the Superstitions, never seen again.

1951 - The body of Dr. John Burns of Oregon was found with a bullet hole through him. Even though there were no powder burns and a ballistics expert testified the shot had been from some distance, the coroner's jury ruled the death "accidental" or suicide!

1952 - Joseph Kelly, a native of Ohio, went into the Superstition mountains and vanished. Two California youths, Ross Bley and Charles Harshbarger, also disappeared in the Superstitions that year.

1955 - Charles Massey, hunting in the Superstitions with a 22 rimfire, was found dead, having been shot between the eyes with a heavy caliber bullet. The coroner ruled the death accidental, a result of a ricochet!!!

1956 - Martin Zywotho, a native of New York, was found dead with a bullet hole in his right temple. Although his gun was found beneath the body, the death was ruled a "suicide"!!!

1959 - Benjamin Ferreira killed his friend and partner Stanley Hernandez after they discovered what they thought was gold; the find was actually pyrite, "Fools gold". Ed Piper shot Robert St. Marie in an old-west style shootout after Celeste Marie Jones had hired St. Marie to kill Piper. Just two months after St. Marie was killed, Piper was found dead. An autopsy gave the cause of death as a 'perforated ulcer'. Lavern Rowlee was shot by Ralph Thomas, who was in the mountains on a hiking trip. Rowlee attacked Thomas and in self-defense, shot him.

1960 - Yet another beheaded skull was discovered in the Superstitions, this one with two bullet holes in it. The skull turned out to be the remains of Franz Harrer, a student from Austria. Also this year, the skeletal remains of William Harvey Jr were found, cause of death unknown.

1961 - Some children discovered the skeletal remains of Hilmer Bohen, who had been shot through the head. Walter Mowry's bullet ridden body ws found, the cause of death ruled a "suicide"!!!

1963 - Vance Bacon, a hired man working for Celeste Marie Jones (the woman who had a claim on the TOP of Weaver's Needle) fell to his death from the top of Weaver's Needle. According to some sources, there were rifle shots heard and some indications of foul play.

1964 - The skeletal remains of Jay Clapp were found, but his skull was missing and has never been found. Richard and Robert Kremis were found dead at the bottom of a high cliff. Also an elderly couple were found murdered in an automobile this year.

1970 - Al Morrow, long-term prospector, was killed when a boulder fell on him in the tunnel he was excavating.

1973 - Charles Lewing shot Ladislas Guerrero in self defense, at the Robert 'Crazy Jake' Jacobs camp site.

1976 - Howard Polling was killed by a gunshot while prospecting in the Superstitions.

1977 - Dennis Brown died from a gunshot wound.

1978 - Manuel Valdez was murdered.

1980 - The skeletal remains of Rick Fenning were discovered.

1984 - Walt Gassler, life-long searcher for the Lost Dutchman mine, was found dead in the Superstitions. In his pack was found gold ore identical to that from under the death bed of Jacob Waltz.

More than 100,000 people have searched for the infamous Lost Dutchman mine or legendary Peralta mines in the Superstition Mountains, and over 300 have claimed to have found it. So you decide, is there a curse?

Oroblanco

"There are stranger things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." --Shakespeare

OP
OP
D

donnaplace

Banned
Jul 18, 2010
Re: missing

differn list i found
here is a few more missing or dead
add more if you know of some.would like to get a whole list of names.
1880 – Two soldiers, recently discharged from Fort McDowell, showed up in Pinal, Arizona looking for work at the Silver King Mine. When they showed a bag of gold ore to the Silver King Manager, Aaron Mason, the manager was stunned to see how rich the ore was and immediately began to ask where they had found it.

The soldiers replied that the ore had been picked up while crossing Superstition Mountain, where they had also spied an old mine. Mason bought the ore from the men, outfitted them and entered a partnership with the pair to share in the profits. The two, sure that they could find the place, then headed towards Weaver’s Needle, but after two weeks had not returned. Mason sent out a search party, who found the nude bodies of both men, shot in the head.

1881 – A prospector by the name of Joe Dearing, who was working as a part-time bartender in Pinal, heard the stories of the two dead soldiers and began to look for the lost mine. He soon returned to Pinal, saying that he had found an old mine, describing it as “the most God-awful rough place you can imagine… a ghostly place.” Dearing continued to work as a bartender until he could save enough money for the excavation. To make even more money, he then went to work at the Silver King Mine. Just a week later he was killed in a cave-in without ever disclosing the location to anyone.

1896 – A prospector named Elisha Marcus Reavis, who was better known in the area as the “Madman of the Superstitions” or the “Old Hermit” because he never shaved or cut his hair; he seldom bathed and rumors said he was prone to running naked through the canyons, firing a pistol into the sky. Sure that he was “mad,” even the Apache left him alone. When Reavis hadn’t been seen in some time, one of his few friends went to check on him. The nearly 70 year-old man was found dead about four miles south of his home on a trail near Roger’s Canyon. His head had been severed from his body and was lying several feet away.

1896 – Later that year, two easterners went looking for the lost mine. They were never seen again.

* 1910 – The skeleton of a woman was found in a cave high up on Superstition Mountain. With the body were several gold nuggets. The coroner could tell that the woman’s death was recent, but the gold was never explained.

1927 – A New Jersey man and his sons were hiking the mountain when rocks began to roll down on them from the cliffs above, as if someone had pushed the boulders. One of the boys’ legs was crushed. Just a year later, two dear hunters were driven off the mountain, when again rolling boulders appeared to have been pushed by someone or “something” down the mountain towards them.

1931 – Yet another event added to the legends of Superstition Mountain when Adolph Ruth, a Washington D.C. veterinarian and avid treasure hunting hobbyist went missing in a wilderness area of the peak.

In his search, Ruth utilized a map that his son had obtained in Mexico several years previous, which dated back to the period of the Mexican Revolution (1909-1923), and was later referred to as the Ruth-Peralta map. Ruth was searching for lost Peralta Mines, especially that of the Lost Dutchman. Arriving in the area in May, Ruth convinced two local cowboys to pack him into the mountains, where they left him to his exploring at a place called Willow Springs in West Boulder Canyon around June 14th, 1931.

When nothing had been heard of Ruth for six days, the cowboys’ boss, a man named Tex Barkley, went looking for the treasure hunter. Upon arriving at Ruth’s camp, the rancher could tell that no one had been there in at least a day and reported Ruth missing. A reward was immediately offered by the family and searchers combed the mountain for the next 45 days but Ruth was not found.

Some months later, in December, however; a skull with two holes in it was discovered near the three Red Hills by an archaeological expedition. I turned out to be that of Adolph Ruth. The rest of the treasure hunter’s body would not be found until the next month, in a small tributary on the east slope of Black Top Mesa. Ruth’s treasure map was found at his original campsite.

The headlines were sensational – alleging that Ruth had been murdered for his map. However, the original coroner said that he could not be positive the skull had bullet holes in it. However, Adoph’s son, Erwin, was convinced his father had been killed. Though the coroner acceded that foul play “might” have been involved, the original statement was never changed.

Some believed that Ruth may have died not from foul play, but from the extreme desert heat, and then his body was carried away in parts by wild animals.

1934 – The Superstitions claimed the life of Adam Stewart, cause of death unknown.

1936 – Another life was claimed by the mountain when another hobbyist, Roman O’Hal, a broker from New York, died from a fall when he was searching for the Lost Dutchman.

1937 – An old prospector by the name of Guy “Hematite” Frink was lucky enough to return from the mountain with a number of rich gold samples. In November, he was found shot in the stomach on the side of a trail in or near La Barge Canyon. Next to his decomposing body was a small sack of gold ore.

1938 – A man named Jenkins, along with his wife and two children were having a picnic on the mountain. During their outing Jenkins found a heavy quartz rock that he later learned was heavily laden with gold. However, before he could return to the spot, he had a heart attack. His wife could not remember the location of the find.

In 1945 – A book about the Lost Dutchman Mine was written by Barry Storm, who claimed to have narrowly escaped from a mysterious sniper. Storm speculated that Adolph Ruth might have been a victim of the same sniper.

1947 – A prospector name James A. Cravey made a much-publicized trip into the Superstition canyons by helicopter, searching for the Lost Dutchman Mine. The pilot set him down in La Barge Canyon, close to Weaver’s Needle. When Cravey failed to hike out as planned, a search was started and although his camp was found, Cravey was not.

The following February, his headless skeleton was found in a canyon, a good distance from his camp. It was tied in a blanket and his skull was found about thirty feet away. The coroner’s jury ruled that there was “no evidence of foul play.”

1949 – A man named James Kidd disappeared in the Superstitions.

* 1951 – Dr. John Burns, a physician from Oregon, was found shot to death on Superstition Mountain. The “official” ruling was that the death was accidental.

1952 – A man named Joseph Kelley of Dayton, Ohio was also searching for the lost mine. He vanished and was never seen again. His skeleton was discovered near Weaver’s Needle two years later. The shot in his skull was ruled an accidental shooting incident.

1953 – Two California boys, who were hiking on Superstition Mountain, also vanished. Unfortunately, for these two, nothing was every found of them.

1955 – Charles Massey, who was hunting with a 22, was found shot between the eyes by a heavy-caliber rifle bullet. The coroner ruled it an accidental death resulting from a ricochet.

1956 – A man from Brooklyn, New York reported to police that his brother, Martin Zywotho, who he believed was searching for the Lost Dutchman Mine, had been missing for several weeks. A month later, the missing man’s body was found with a bullet hole above his right temple. Although his gun was found under the body, the death was ruled suicide.

1958 – A deserted campsite was discovered on the northern edge of the mountain. At the campsite were a bloodstained blanket, a Geiger counter, a gun-cleaning kit, but no gun, cooking utensils, and some letters, from which the names and addresses had been torn from. No trace of the camp’s occupant was ever found.

1959 – Two men by the names of Stanley Hernandez and Benjamin Ferreira, thought they had found the “jack-pot.” However, what they actually discovered was pyrite, more often called “Fool’s Gold.” But, these two were sure they had found the elusive mine. Whether out of greed or, some kind of dispute over how they would handle their new found wealth, Hernandez killed his friend Ferreira.

1960 – Robert St. Marie, who was attempted to drill a hole all the way through Weaver’s Needle, was killed by prospector Edward Piper. Two months later, Piper was found dead. The cause of death was said to have been a “perforated ulcer.”

1960 – Two more men who were hiking in the Superstitions that year became involved in some kind of dispute. Lavern Rowlee was shot by Ralph Thomas, who reported that he had been attacked by Rowlee and shot the other man in self-defense.

1960 – A group of hikers found a headless skeleton near the foot of a cliff on Superstition Mountain. Four days later, an investigation determined it belonged to an Austrian student named Franz Harrier.

1960 – Five days later, another skeleton was found, which was identified the next month to be that of William Richard Harvey, a painter from San Francisco. The cause of death was unknown.

1961 – A family picnicking near the edge of the mountain discovered the body of Hilmer Charles Bohen buried beneath the sand. Bohen was a Utah prospector who had been shot in the back.

1961 – Two months later, another prospector from Denver named Walter J. Mowry was found in Needle Canyon. His bullet-ridden body was removed to the coroner’s, who ruled it a suicide.

1961 – Five days later, another skeleton was found, which was later identified as William Richard Harvey, a painter from San Francisco. The cause of death was undetermined.

1961 – Police began searching for a prospector by the name of Jay Clapp, who had been working on Superstition Mountain on and off for a decade and a half. Clapp had been missing since July. After a thorough search, the hunt was called off. Three years later his headless skeleton was finally discovered.

1963 – A man named Vance Bacon, also working to tunnel through Weaver’s Needle, fell to his death. Allegedly, there were rifle shots and indications of foul play.

1964 – Brothers, Richard and Robert Kremis, were found dead at the bottom of a high cliff.

1964 – An elderly couple was found murdered in an automobile.

1970 – A seasoned prospector named Al Morrow was killed by a boulder that fell into a tunnel that he was digging.

1973 – Charles Lewing shot Ladislas Guerrero at a mountain campsite. Lewing claimed self-defense.

1976 – A prospector named Howard Polling was found dead of a gunshot wound. The following year another man named Dennis Brown, was also found dead of a gunshot wound.

1978 – A man named Manuel Valdez was murdered in the Superstitions.

1980 – The skeleton of a man named Rick Fenning was found.

1984 – A prospector named Walt Gassler, who had been searching for the Lost Dutchman for most of his life, was found dead in the Superstitions. In his pack was gold ore, later discovered to be identical to that of the rich ore Jacob Waltz had found earlier.

On Nov 7, 2008 at 11:18 pm Tony said: Thanks for all the info. I knew the story about the lost Dutchman, but all the information before that is new to me. I live very close to the Superstition Mountains- have been to the top twice. I love all the history that this mountain has from the Spanish to the Apache. I am going up to the top tomorrow morning.
On Apr 19, 2010 at 11:08 am Jonathan Crane said: A unidentified male’s remains were discovered on December 30, 1992 in superstition wilderness area. Cause of death was gun shot wound. Is it possible this man was searching for dutchman mine?

OP
OP
D

donnaplace

Banned
Jul 18, 2010
Re: missing

both list combine

1847-ish A massacre of a group of people occurred in what is today known as "Massacre Field" - the victims were either Mexicans or Pima Indians, caught by Apache warriors.

1870s, exact date unknown - Jacob Weiser, partner of the Dutchman Jacob Waltz, died of wounds received by attacking Apaches after escaping the mountains to a nearby ranch.

1880 - Two soldiers who had shown rich gold ore in Florence went into the Superstitions and disappeared; later their remains were found, with a bullet hole in their skulls. (This may be an incident which occurred in the Four Peaks region in truth)

1881 – A prospector by the name of Joe Dearing, who was working as a part-time bartender in Pinal, heard the stories of the two dead soldiers and began to look for the lost mine. He soon returned to Pinal, saying that he had found an old mine, describing it as “the most God-awful rough place you can imagine… a ghostly place.” Dearing continued to work as a bartender until he could save enough money for the excavation. To make even more money, he then went to work at the Silver King Mine. Just a week later he was killed in a cave-in without ever disclosing the location to anyone.

1884 - Pedro Ortega was found shot dead some thirty feet from the home of Jacob Waltz, dead of shotgun wounds. Waltz told the sheriff that Ortega's partner shot him after "borrowing" Waltz's shotgun, but many believed that Waltz himself had killed Ortega.

1891 - a legend was born the night that Jacob Waltz, the "Dutchman" himself, died.

1892 - the last known death caused by an Apache attack in the Superstitions, Charles Dobie. Any relation to Frank Dobie?

1896 - the first reported beheading in the Superstitions, the victim being Elisha M Reavis (brother to the famous forger James Reavis) who lived the life of a hermit on Iron Mountain and sold garden produce to locals; some referred to Reavis as the "Madman of the mountains".

1896 – Later that year, two easterners went looking for the lost mine. They were never seen again

1910 - The skeletal remains of a woman were found high in a Superstition Mountain cave; gold nuggets were found next to the remains, but no remnant of any kind of clothing!

1927 – A New Jersey man and his sons were hiking the mountain when rocks began to roll down on them from the cliffs above, as if someone had pushed the boulders. One of the boys’ legs was crushed. Just a year later, two dear hunters were driven off the mountain, when again rolling boulders appeared to have been pushed by someone or “something” down the mountain towards them.

1931 - Dr. Adolph Ruth was found dead, his skull detached from the body with a 44 caliber hole through it; Ruth had told two prospectors he had possession of a map to the lost gold mine, these men packed Ruth into the mountains and later took his car. The authorities ruled the death "natural causes"!!! Well I guess you would naturally DIE if you are shot through the head with a 44!!!

1934 - The Superstition Mountains claimed the life of Adam Stewart

1936 - Roma O'Hal was hiking in the Superstition mountains, and died from a fall.

1937 – An old prospector by the name of Guy “Hematite” Frink was lucky enough to return from the mountain with a number of rich gold samples. In November, he was found shot in the stomach on the side of a trail in or near La Barge Canyon. Next to his decomposing body was a small sack of gold ore.

1938 - Prospector Guy "Hematite" Frank was found dead in the mountains with a sack of gold at his side. Another "accidental" death?

In 1945 – A book about the Lost Dutchman Mine was written by Barry Storm, who claimed to have narrowly escaped from a mysterious sniper. Storm speculated that Adolph Ruth might have been a victim of the same sniper.

1947 – A prospector name James A. Cravey made a much-publicized trip into the Superstition canyons by helicopter, searching for the Lost Dutchman Mine. The pilot set him down in La Barge Canyon, close to Weaver’s Needle. When Cravey failed to hike out as planned, a search was started and although his camp was found, Cravey was not.

The following February, his headless skeleton was found in a canyon, a good distance from his camp. It was tied in a blanket and his skull was found about thirty feet away. The coroner’s jury ruled that there was “no evidence of foul play.”

1948 - Treasure hunter James Cravey, age 62, was found dead in the Superstitions. His body was discovered first, and six months later his skull.

1949 - James Kidd vanished in the Superstitions, never seen again.

1951 - The body of Dr. John Burns of Oregon was found with a bullet hole through him. Even though there were no powder burns and a ballistics expert testified the shot had been from some distance, the coroner's jury ruled the death "accidental" or suicide!

1952 - Joseph Kelly, a native of Ohio, went into the Superstition mountains and vanished. Two California youths, Ross Bley and Charles Harshbarger, also disappeared in the Superstitions that year.

1953 – Two California boys, who were hiking on Superstition Mountain, also vanished. Unfortunately, for these two, nothing was every found of them.

1955 - Charles Massey, hunting in the Superstitions with a 22 rimfire, was found dead, having been shot between the eyes with a heavy caliber bullet. The coroner ruled the death accidental, a result of a ricochet!!!

1956 - Martin Zywotho, a native of New York, was found dead with a bullet hole in his right temple. Although his gun was found beneath the body, the death was ruled a "suicide"!!!

1958 – A deserted campsite was discovered on the northern edge of the mountain. At the campsite were a bloodstained blanket, a Geiger counter, a gun-cleaning kit, but no gun, cooking utensils, and some letters, from which the names and addresses had been torn from. No trace of the camp’s occupant was ever found

1959 - Benjamin Ferreira killed his friend and partner Stanley Hernandez after they discovered what they thought was gold; the find was actually pyrite, "Fools gold". Ed Piper shot Robert St. Marie in an old-west style shootout after Celeste Marie Jones had hired St. Marie to kill Piper. Just two months after St. Marie was killed, Piper was found dead. An autopsy gave the cause of death as a 'perforated ulcer'. Lavern Rowlee was shot by Ralph Thomas, who was in the mountains on a hiking trip. Rowlee attacked Thomas and in self-defense, shot him.

1960 - Yet another beheaded skull was discovered in the Superstitions, this one with two bullet holes in it. The skull turned out to be the remains of Franz Harrer, a student from Austria. Also this year, the skeletal remains of William Harvey Jr were found, cause of death unknown.

1960 – Robert St. Marie, who was attempted to drill a hole all the way through Weaver’s Needle, was killed by prospector Edward Piper. Two months later, Piper was found dead. The cause of death was said to have been a “perforated ulcer.”

1960 – Two more men who were hiking in the Superstitions that year became involved in some kind of dispute. Lavern Rowlee was shot by Ralph Thomas, who reported that he had been attacked by Rowlee and shot the other man in self-defense.

1960 – A group of hikers found a headless skeleton near the foot of a cliff on Superstition Mountain. Four days later, an investigation determined it belonged to an Austrian student named Franz Harrier.

1960 – Five days later, another skeleton was found, which was identified the next month to be that of William Richard Harvey, a painter from San Francisco. The cause of death was unknown.

1961 - Some children discovered the skeletal remains of Hilmer Bohen, who had been shot through the head. Walter Mowry's bullet ridden body ws found, the cause of death ruled a "suicide"!!!
1961 – Two months later, another prospector from Denver named Walter J. Mowry was found in Needle Canyon. His bullet-ridden body was removed to the coroner’s, who ruled it a suicide.

1961 – Five days later, another skeleton was found, which was later identified as William Richard Harvey, a painter from San Francisco. The cause of death was undetermined.

1961 – Police began searching for a prospector by the name of Jay Clapp, who had been working on Superstition Mountain on and off for a decade and a half. Clapp had been missing since July. After a thorough search, the hunt was called off. Three years later his headless skeleton was finally discovered.

1963 - Vance Bacon, a hired man working for Celeste Marie Jones (the woman who had a claim on the TOP of Weaver's Needle) fell to his death from the top of Weaver's Needle. According to some sources, there were rifle shots heard and some indications of foul play.

1964 - The skeletal remains of Jay Clapp were found, but his skull was missing and has never been found. Richard and Robert Kremis were found dead at the bottom of a high cliff. Also an elderly couple were found murdered in an automobile this year.
1964 – Brothers, Richard and Robert Kremis, were found dead at the bottom of a high cliff

1970 - Al Morrow, long-term prospector, was killed when a boulder fell on him in the tunnel he was excavating.

1973 - Charles Lewing shot Ladislas Guerrero in self defense, at the Robert 'Crazy Jake' Jacobs camp site.

1976 - Howard Polling was killed by a gunshot while prospecting in the Superstitions.

1977 - Dennis Brown died from a gunshot wound.

1978 - Manuel Valdez was murdered.

1980 - The skeletal remains of Rick Fenning were discovered.

1984 - Walt Gassler, life-long searcher for the Lost Dutchman mine, was found dead in the Superstitions. In his pack was found gold ore identical to that from under the death bed of Jacob Waltz.
2009- Jesse Capen
2010- Curtis Meriworth, 67, Ardean Charles, 62, and Malcolm Meeks, 51, planned on hiking into the mountains and exploring
its odd that no deaths happen from 1984 to 2009

BILL96

Mar 29, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
LST
Donnaplace
Very impressive list and really very interesting to see it listed like that but considering the millions of people that have visited the superstitions since 1847 its really not that big of a list. I would probably have a bigger chance of being killed in a car accident during the drive down their than being shot by a mysterious stranger in those mountains, just getting up in the morning can be dangerous.

Bill

Nov 2, 2009
Billy Wrote: """"its really not that big of a list. I would probably have a bigger chance of being killed in a car accident during the drive down their than being shot by a mysterious stranger in those mountains"""" Bill Sir, you are more than welcome to test your statement Please let me and every one know when the test will occur? ???

Attachments

• GOLDEN TEARDROP.jpg
    GOLDEN TEARDROP.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 2,427
  • GOLDEN TEARDROP.jpg
    GOLDEN TEARDROP.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 1,325

BILL96

Mar 29, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
LST
SFNM,
Seriously its been 163 years , while its a really interesting list and very unfortunate for those people and their families thats really not a lot of people. Considering the number of visitors every year it's really a very small risk.
Bill

Nov 2, 2009
Considering the number of visitors every year it's really a """"very small"""" risky bunch of miners, and prospectors, and treasure hunters, who seem to be endangered. However If your just a tourist, that probably has never been a problem.
So with so many tourists coming in, how many were real treasure hunters for the mine? And its how many of those we should be counting. """"However I do agree that with all the recent vanishings, people are keeping a closer watch on things in the supers, and that makes things somewhat safer i believe at this present time in history. Do you Agree?

OP
OP
D

donnaplace

Banned
Jul 18, 2010
i am 100% sure thats no way near a complete list.
i belive i read that 200 people was killed at one time and push into a pit.

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm not sure about a curse but there is something there. I've tried to make the trip 7 times. On all but neither vehicle would start. These are both wehicles that get regular service. The wife's car goes to the dealership every 3-4000 miled for an oil change and whatever needs done. And I get fanatical about my truck. Oil change every 3000, regular checks on the battery and all fluids.

We did make it the last time. I got up there and threw on my pack and started walking with my wife. To this day, my wife still says she saw the hair at the base of my skull stand up and my entire body erupt in goosebumps. I said, "This ain't happening." and we wlked back to the car. I had just got my pack off and in the car when the sky opened up in a downpour from hell. I couldn't even see to drive. 15 minutes later it was over and we got the hell out of Dodge. Haven't tried since.

I definitely got the feeling we weren't wanted there. The sense of foreboding I got right before the strom hit, I'll never forget it.

czachary

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having heard of the stories of "gunfire" and missing people over such a long period of time. It got me thinking. What if the mine was never really lost at all? What if one group had found the mine or been using the mine for a generation or so and those who get to close see the wrong end of a gun? Someone or some family protecting the mines location? I would be curious to know where the bodies were all found....will never know that though..almost all found with "gold ore", diversions?

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
How about us people from Tnet that have been out there and nothing happened.
It is all because we are prepared when we go out, we carry guns when we go out, we have emergency supplies if needed, ect.
Even for a day hike, we have items needed to take care of us.
Others have been out there also and no problems.
Only the un-prepared get in trouble.

czachary

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not survival situations, there are a lot of gunshots on that list...just saying, what is the wrong "type" of person found it long ago and gets greedy...would not be the first time someone is killed over gold

Last edited:

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
All some one has to do is figure the center of the circle.
Take a map,put in tacks on locations, and figure center.
Even if some one was depositing the bodies else where or moving them. In that country, it wont be far.
And if it is far, it will be an easy route or trail.

Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not sure about a curse but there is something there. I've tried to make the trip 7 times. On all but neither vehicle would start. These are both wehicles that get regular service. The wife's car goes to the dealership every 3-4000 miled for an oil change and whatever needs done. And I get fanatical about my truck. Oil change every 3000, regular checks on the battery and all fluids.

We did make it the last time. I got up there and threw on my pack and started walking with my wife. To this day, my wife still says she saw the hair at the base of my skull stand up and my entire body erupt in goosebumps. I said, "This ain't happening." and we wlked back to the car. I had just got my pack off and in the car when the sky opened up in a downpour from hell. I couldn't even see to drive. 15 minutes later it was over and we got the hell out of Dodge. Haven't tried since.

I definitely got the feeling we weren't wanted there. The sense of foreboding I got right before the strom hit, I'll never forget it.

Pre-lightening. I had the experience once. I saw the front coming in and got to safety. Almost hit. Go back, fear not, just be mindful of the weather forecast.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi mad machinist Coffee to warm you back up? one for your wife also. you posted -->

when the sky opened up in a downpour from hell. I couldn't even see to drive
~~~~~~~~~~~~

How would you like to be caught in an open cockpit aircraft under those conditions? Through pure stupidity and being in a hurry to get to Phoenix, I was caught in just such a situation, so I know just what you are talking about.

I couldn't fly over the canyon peaks-couldn't see them, so had to contour fly the canyons about 30 ft off of the floor, Even then visibility was very marginal.

No, I wasn't killed, but did change my underwear sigh :laughing7::laughing7:

I rather suspect that you were in a prestrike situation, You, my friend, were very lucky. An all metal car is the best protection possible.

More coffee??

Don Jose de La Mancha

Gregory E. Davis

Oct 22, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Detector(s) used
eyeball it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More people have died in Yosemite National Park than all those in the history of the Superstition Mountains and surrounding areas. See the book: "Off the wall, Death in Yosemite by Michael P. Ghiglieri and Charles R. Farabee, Jr." The book is over 600 pages. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A person could easily put a point on where the people died on a map.
The basic general vicinity is listed in the reports or articles from newspapers.
Also,how many people where shot when it was hunting season.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread