Legends, Maps, Coincidences, Logic, and Hunches.
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 279
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Legends, Maps, Coincidences, Logic, and Hunches.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #1
    us
    Apr 2008
    Central California
    4,016
    25 times

    Legends, Maps, Coincidences, Logic, and Hunches.

    Travis---

    I forgot that Jack had originated that other thread. Sorry, Jack.

    Just to make things easier to reference, I'll put the gist of the previous posts from the other thread here (the quote date can be right-clicked on to open the entire post in a new tab)---

    Quote Originally Posted by EE THr
    Travis---

    If you ever need to know how long it takes for a person's eyes to un-cross after studying hand drawn maps for a couple hours at at time, just ask me. I now have solid data on that. Jeeez, I need to take a walk!

    Any way, I had an idea which quadrant of the Supers, that most of the maps which made any sense at all, were indicating. And that was the Northeast area. But today I started noticing that some of the maps which didn't seem to really show much, and even some which didn't seem to make any sense, or agree in any way with any other maps; started to make sense! Or maybe I just need some sleep.

    It goes like this. Some of the maps that just don't look like much, are, within the boundaries of logic, actually showing the same thing as several of the others which appear to be more specific in their depictions. The key point is, how many ways do different people have of showing the same geologic formations? I'm now thinking it's a whole lot of different ways!

    For one thing, there seems to be more people with spatial representation difficulties than I thought. I don't know if it qualifies as full blown dyslexia, but many people do tend to put an object in a drawing on the wrong side of another object. I think it has to do with the left-right confusion of, "is it on your left or my left?" kind of thing. When a person draws something from a different viewing angle, people tend to get mixed up in transposing left for right, when necessary. I've seen people do that, and not even notice that they reversed them in the drawing.

    So now, I'm trying to sort out the ones that are the same, then the similars, then the "probably means the same" ones. While trying not to just imagine things just to prove a particular point.

    Of course, the whole map thing falls under the category of "legends." So any conclusions would merely be "a coincidence of legends." Which doesn't necessarily mean much.

    But if all the maps came from the same original source, like lots of the Waltz stories may have, then why would they have such dissimilar ways of depicting the same information? Although some of them are very similar, too.


    Quote Originally Posted by EE THr
    Travis---

    What is your theory about what kind of "miner" would look there?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Dutchman
    EE,

    Which "two sets" of stories are you referring to?

    The "two sets" of stories and maps, are first the ones that talk about marks and stones on cacti, and so-many paces in one direction, then so-many in another, and corrals, and stuff like that. These tend to indicate a spot in the area of Weaver's Needle. Lots of people have searched there, even some big names.

    The second set of stories and maps don't mention any of that stuff, but involve the Four Peaks, seeing a tall needle in a southerly direction from the Peaks, the pit and tunnel with the cave house/church across the creekbed, the setting sun shining into the pit, and stuff like that. These all indicate the Northeast quadrant of the Supers.


    Quote Originally Posted by Javaone
    One clue that always interested me was - Waltz sitting on a rock in Tortilla Creak when he confronted the dude trying to follow him...

    And that would be in the Northeast quadrant....




    So, what is your theory about what kind of "miner" would look there?
    An evil group is comprised of the insane, who, out of fear, imagine that they must conspire to destroy those who are honest and able. A good group is made up of honest people, who could each survive on their own, yet work together openly for betterment for themselves and others.

  2. #2
    us
    Dec 2010
    Arizona
    My Brain
    324
    66 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: Legends, Maps, Coincidences, Logic, and Hunches.

    EE,

    These are just my opinions based on my own research.

    Supposedly, and i believe, that the Mexicans mined in the Superstition Mountains. Therefore, i only put stock in the maps that are said to have "Mexican origins". I dont believe in any map from a "modern source". Im sure some of the maps we have available could have been translated to English and we arent seeing the original, but i am personally not willing to put much stock into those.

    I realize that some of the Mexican maps may also be "fakes", but i dont believe they all are.

    It is still up to the searcher to "follow" those to the correct "spot" and also, more importantly, START in the correct spot. I personally didnt even look at the maps until i had followed the "clues" to where i believed they lead. After that, i started to notice that a few maps actually were "real", and i believe they lead to my area.

    I have my own opinion about why Waltz was in the "Northeast Quadrant" when Dick followed him. I believe Waltz knew someone was following him and intentionally mislead him there. That is why he was sitting with his gun waiting for him. Being a horseman, it is also hard for me to believe that Waltz had stayed at Hidden Water, left in the morning, then was going to make a camp at Tortilla Creek where Holmes saw him sitting on the rock. The reason i dont believe Waltz was making a camp is because it would only take you about 5 hours at the most to reach Tortilla creek from Hidden Water. If Waltz stopped there, it was for another reason other than making a camp. Maybe because he KNEW he was being followed and was intentionally misleading someone?

    On the other hand, Dick started out in the Northeast Quadrant so, maybe he knew something we dont? Maybe Waltz was still on his trail?

    Thanks,
    Travis

  3. #3
    us
    Apr 2008
    Central California
    4,016
    25 times

    Re: Legends, Maps, Coincidences, Logic, and Hunches.

    Off the top of my head, I think some of the stories had Waltz entering the Supes from the West, and others said he went in from Tortilla Flats area.

    Tortilla Creek originates in the Tortilla Flats area. I think Waltz was waiting for a follower there, not making camp or going directly to his mine.


    Not all the maps I linked to are translated into English. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean much.

    But whoever originated the maps, didn't just make them up while sitting at his desk in town, either. Whoever made them had to have been there, because there are too many actual landmarks, and other things which have been seen and reported here on the forum. That means either they are at least close, or someone who was there wanted to throw people off while selling phony maps. If some of the maps are from different original sources, it would be quite a coincidence that they originated the same phony locations....

    In addition to that, the area indicated by several of the differently drawn maps, do coincide with certain stories, either of written step-by-step directions to it; or by the written descriptions of certain features around the site, and also certain views from the site.

    I think it's a matter of the earliest information, and corroboration from early different sources so as to not fall into the "tall tales" which have been said to all originate from the same source.

    These tall tales seem to be of a different slant than the maps, though. If they were not, then all the maps would look the same. The problem with maps, is that they can be altered in copies, for the purpose of selling them to those with gold fever which overpowers their rationality.

    I think the timeline of both the stories and the maps are important, for these reasons.




    So, are you ever going to tell your theory about, "what kind of 'miner' would look there"?



    An evil group is comprised of the insane, who, out of fear, imagine that they must conspire to destroy those who are honest and able. A good group is made up of honest people, who could each survive on their own, yet work together openly for betterment for themselves and others.

  4. #4
    us
    Dec 2010
    Arizona
    My Brain
    324
    66 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: Legends, Maps, Coincidences, Logic, and Hunches.

    EE,

    I honestly forgot that you posted a link to more and only looked over the ones that were on the other post. I will check out the link tonight and see what the rest of them are about.

    If you look close at what i wrote, i did answer your question. (I'm not "toying" with you, i really did)

    Thanks,
    Travis

  5. #5
    um
    Nemo me impune lacesset

    Jan 2005
    DAKOTA TERRITORY
    Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
    7,598
    8781 times

    Re: Legends, Maps, Coincidences, Logic, and Hunches.

    Hola amigos,
    I had intended to simply post a 'tag' type of message, so I could follow the discussion more easily (yes I am that lazy) but I would like to add another factor.

    The route taken by Waltz is likely to be several different ways, rather than one route that goes to his mine. I say this because as has been posted, he was trailed by Holmes via the northern route (or NW); yet in Waltz's story he tells of the incident in which his partner was killed, while Waltz was away from the camp purchasing supplies to replace what the mule had ruined. Waltz went to Adams mill, which is not far from Florence. The Weiser story as we get it from Dr Walker, likewise has Waltz getting his supplies at Adams mill, so there must have been a good reason why he went there rather than to Phoenix which ought to be closer if the mine is located in that NW part of the Superstitions. Also we should note the direction taken by Weiser in his flight away from the Indian ambush at the mine; he ended up at the Pima settlements on the Gila river, not that far (as the crow flies) from Adams Mill, and again there must have been good reason why he ended up there, rather than at Ft McDowell or Phoenix or Picket Post etc. I am convinced that Waltz knew more than one way to get to and from the mine, and used different routes as one way of avoiding being trailed or of creating a clear trail from using it too much.

    Please do continue amigos, it has been an interesting discussion in the several threads.
    Oroblanco

    SUPPORT THE BEEF INDUSTRY - EAT BEEF
    "We must find a way, or we will make one."--Hannibal Barca

  6. #6
    us
    Dec 2010
    Arizona
    My Brain
    324
    66 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: Legends, Maps, Coincidences, Logic, and Hunches.

    EE and Oro,

    EE I agree that a lot of the maps have landmarks that only someone who had been in the area could have drawn. WHEN they were there, is the hard part to figure out.

    Like i said before, this was my main reason for concentrating on the directions first, clues second, then i went to the maps to see if any would fit my location. There were a few maps, and also some "directions" (Not from Waltz) that matched up.

    When i started with the maps, i left my mind open that the MAP could have been very old, but the information or clues could have been more "modern". If the maps were old, and someone "found" (received from a family, etc.) them, then that person could have added his own interpretation to it, and that could have influenced the story of it. I try to avoid this by first seeing if a map will "fit" in my location. Then see if the "clues" that go with it match also.

    Oro,
    You and i have discussed this before and i agree that Waltz could have had several ways to get to his mine, as well as several ways to leave.

    I disagree and think Waltz basically took the same route to get to it. Before i explain this, i am a firm believer in PARTS of the Holmes manuscript and also the Petrasch/Thomas clues from Corbins Bible. I have debated their authenticity before and do not wish to do that anymore. I believe what i believe because of what i have SEEN, and dont want/need to convince anyone else that they have merit.

    That being said, I believe Waltz took the same route because of him telling Holmes where he had made his last few trips ("by way of....) That to me was a "tell" that he took the same route "in" most or all of the time. Now, bring in the Petrasch/Thomas clues and, to me, is explaining the same "route", but with more details. (Because Waltz had more time to tell Petrasch/Thomas, he was dying when he told Holmes)

    Now, the "tell" on how he LEAVES the mine can be found in the Petrasch/Thomas clues. "Never come back (to town) by the way you came (in)"

    Waltz was obviously smart enough to keep his mine hidden for a long time while he was alive. Here is why i believe Waltz was "spotted" all over the mountains. I think that sometimes when he left the mine, he went to the South to go to a town that wasnt where he lived to buy supplies. If i wanted to hide the fact that i had a rich mine, i would do all of my "big shopping" or money conversion in another town. I would not do it in the town i lived in so that suspicions wouldnt be raised. Heck, maybe he just wanted to "tie one on" after he took out some gold and didnt want to do it in Phoenix?

    I think when he left the mine and was "seen" to the North, those were the times that he didnt need to purchase anything and just came back home. Along with that, say he had left his mine (by a different route than he had come in) and ended up being seen in the Tortilla Creek area. That would mean he is heading at least PART of the way that he came in. Meaning from Tortilla Creek, you go to Hidden Water, then to the Fort, etc until he was home.

    These are the main reasons I dont doubt the Petrasch/Thomas clues. In Corbins Bible, Waltz told them to go in from the North. Holmes said he followed Waltz to the North. Waltz was seen by others in the North, both coming and going. To me, its pretty safe to say that Waltz probably went in from the North.

    This has been long-winded so i apologize.

    Thanks,
    Travis

  7. #7
    no
    Mar 2010
    Republic of Texas
    557
    1246 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: Legends, Maps, Coincidences, Logic, and Hunches.

    *chuckles* oh - we go around and around and around and ...
    I have also wondered why Florence (well, Adams Mill) seemed to be the 'choice' place for supplies etc. Remember the carpenter that made his dry-washer?
    On more or less the same note - how sure are we about Weiser?
    I have seen good evidence both for and against him. And if he was real and ended up at Dr. Walker, he must have passed at least one friendly pima-village on the way.
    You would think a man as badly mauled as he was would have stopped at the first place of habitation ...

    Oh, how to seperate the wheat from the chaff when there's ever so much more of the latter ...
    A furore Normannorum libera nos, Domine

  8. #8
    no
    Mar 2010
    Republic of Texas
    557
    1246 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: Legends, Maps, Coincidences, Logic, and Hunches.

    Travis,
    what you said while I posted makes sense - about the reason for getting supplies from Florence ...
    A furore Normannorum libera nos, Domine

  9. #9
    us
    Dec 2010
    Arizona
    My Brain
    324
    66 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: Legends, Maps, Coincidences, Logic, and Hunches.

    Hello,

    I forgot to ad my two cents about the Adams Mill and Weiser.

    This one should be easy to anyone who believes the Weiser story, like i do.

    Where were Waltz and Weiser coming and going from when they were mining together?......wait for it.........Mexico. That is why they probably were doing their "shopping" at Adams Mill. That and the other reason i posted about not drawing attention to themselves by their purchases.

    Weiser was delirious by his own admition, that could explain why he passed another Indian camp, he simply didnt see it. Remember, the Pimas found HIM, he didnt find THEM.

    (Hi Loke!)

    Thanks,
    Travis

  10. #10
    um
    Nemo me impune lacesset

    Jan 2005
    DAKOTA TERRITORY
    Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
    7,598
    8781 times

    Re: Legends, Maps, Coincidences, Logic, and Hunches.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Dutchman
    Hello,

    I forgot to ad my two cents about the Adams Mill and Weiser.

    This one should be easy to anyone who believes the Weiser story, like i do.

    Where were Waltz and Weiser coming and going from when they were mining together?......wait for it.........Mexico. That is why they probably were doing their "shopping" at Adams Mill. That and the other reason i posted about not drawing attention to themselves by their purchases.

    Weiser was delirious by his own admition, that could explain why he passed another Indian camp, he simply didnt see it. Remember, the Pimas found HIM, he didnt find THEM.

    (Hi Loke!)

    Thanks,
    Travis
    Then wouldn't the LDM mine be located in Mexico? Considering the story appears in both Holmes and Thomas/Petrasch versions as well as Dr Walker's, unless you are saying they had a different mine in Mexico before the LDM in the Superstitions? Please clarify, thank you in advance,
    Oroblanco
    SUPPORT THE BEEF INDUSTRY - EAT BEEF
    "We must find a way, or we will make one."--Hannibal Barca

  11. #11
    us
    Dec 2010
    Arizona
    My Brain
    324
    66 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: Legends, Maps, Coincidences, Logic, and Hunches.

    C'mon Oro my man, are you going to make me explain it all?

    Waltz version:

    Paraphrasing
    "He and his partner were prospecting in the 60's in the state of Sonora, MEXICO..."
    "They came to a ranch..."
    They came up from Mexico to mine it. Took the money back to Peralta, he wanted to keep ALL of the money. They agreed, took the deed, blah, blah, blah........

    Weiser version:
    "We went to the mine FIRST with the MEXICAN owner....(probably from Mexico?)
    "We took out about 60k, he wanted to keep it, blah, blah, blah......

    When THEY mined it, they were going to and from Mexico. Prospecting in Mexico first, up with Peralta (or his "boys") to the Superstitions, then back to Mexico with 60k, then back to the Superstitions on their own. Which is the time that Weiser was attacked. They had re-supplied at Adams Mill while they were coming from Mexico after giving Peralta ALL of the money from the first trip.

    So, no i dont believe the Lost Dutchman mine should be in Mexico.

    Thanks,
    Travis

    Forgot your...

  12. #12
    us
    Dec 2010
    Arizona
    My Brain
    324
    66 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: Legends, Maps, Coincidences, Logic, and Hunches.

    And Oro, I meant I forgot your coffee, not YOU forgot your coffee...Just to clarify

  13. #13
    um
    Nemo me impune lacesset

    Jan 2005
    DAKOTA TERRITORY
    Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
    7,598
    8781 times

    Re: Legends, Maps, Coincidences, Logic, and Hunches.

    Muchas gracias compadre Travis, we very nearly had a major disaster here when the coffeepot ran DRY a few moments ago! <horrors!>

    Thank you for clarifying, I was getting a mistaken impression. I take it then that your view is based in part on this portion of the Holmes manuscript:
    "My last few trips were made by way of the Salt river, traveling up to Monroy's ranch and taking one of the old Government trails which crossed the river at that point and then into the Superstitions."
    <from The Lost Dutchman Mine of Jacob Waltz, Dr Glover, pp 58>
    I also assume that you do not accept the story we get from Dr Walker, which has Weiser attacked while at the mine or very near it, don't have the book at hand but remember Waltz did say he found his partner's bloody shirt at the mine. This would indicate the ambush happened at or very near the mine, not on the route from Mexico, correct? So I have to respectfully disagree on this point.

    Roy



    SUPPORT THE BEEF INDUSTRY - EAT BEEF
    "We must find a way, or we will make one."--Hannibal Barca

  14. #14
    us
    Dec 2010
    Arizona
    My Brain
    324
    66 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: Legends, Maps, Coincidences, Logic, and Hunches.

    Oro,

    That is what im referring to.

    This is why i hate computers I was not trying to say Weiser was attacked anywhere but near the mine.
    I was trying to give some reasons Waltz was seen around the South. (Even after Weiser died/ The "shopping") He and Weiser were shopping at Adams Mill because they had been going back and forth to Mexico.

    And, i was also explaining why i think Waltz came in from the North.

    I'm not sure if you saw Joe and i's discussion about the Bark notes in reguards to the Weiser story. Bark is the one who writes about the bloody shirt and "bullet shot" frying pans, not the Walker story. I dont buy the Bark version for one second. Why? The Walker story says that Weiser was shot........by ARROWS, not bullets.

    In my opinion Weiser was 100% attacked at or near the mine. No bloody shirt left, but attacked none the less.

    Thanks,
    Travis

  15. #15
    us
    Dec 2010
    Arizona
    My Brain
    324
    66 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: Legends, Maps, Coincidences, Logic, and Hunches.

    Oro,

    Did you miss a post of mine earlier? I explained why i believe the Weiser story and all of that? I was reading it back to see if i was clear and i was just wondering if you missed that "long-winded" one i wrote. That might clarify what i am getting at.

    Thanks,
    Travis

 

 
Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

el cerrotero de los minas oro apacho
,

escardadia

,

lost dutchman mine map

,

perfil map

,

san francisco chronicle january 13 1895 page 12 column 6-7

,
superstition mountain mining
,
ted degrazia biography
,
the san francisco chronicle sunday january 13th 1895 page 12
,
the san francisco chronicle sunday january 13th 1895 page 13
,

virgil bowman treasure hunter

Click on a term to search for related topics.
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0