Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sgtfda,

I am NOT a certified gemologist, but I do know you are right about the Herkimer diamonds. We lived close enough to NY State to spit on it (and that was a child like pastime, since....well, never mind that :tongue3:).

Any way, one of our school trips went to "dig" Herkimer diamonds. They facet up really nice.

Beth

BTW, sgtfda (thought that you were a sargent for the FDA :laughing7: - forgive me, I'm tired and feeling quite foolish), now that you mention your "gift", you just may have your work cut out for you. :thumbsup: :coffee2: :coffee2:

Blindbowman

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beth i agree with you , SG yes they are quartz crystals, i think dad said something about them being in the calcite famliy ,that makes no sence what so ever to me because calcite is often found in a white milky quaartz crystall but he must have known something about them ..we do have some big calcite mines in the up state area .. but dont why he said that .. maybe you know SG

the type of crystall i found i beleive is so3 or so4 silcon ....it is very importain to id it correctly but i am not from that part of the southwest . if its not a gem stones i most likely have not seen it before ..if its not found in this area ..

here is some of the photo i posted of the crystall i found , its a very clear quartz of some kind you can shine a flash light right threw it easy .. it has black sands baked on to it ..

Attachments

• bob\'s files 028.JPG
    bob\'s files 028.JPG
    183.7 KB · Views: 615
  • bob\'s files 030.JPG
    bob\'s files 030.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 418
  • bob\'s files 037.jpg
    bob\'s files 037.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 885

Blindbowman

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i want to get one of those big nadual for my own , but i dont want to remove all the crystall this is a great find . i will show you at the Rendezous this is a horizonal fault line that runs across the ground un like veins this is runing like a crack faultline ...i dont see things like this up here in new york .. we see mostly pockets of gem and deposite structures

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BB - I offered quite some time ago to have one of my coworkers who is an expert in all sorts of microscopy techniques (SEM, TEM, XRD, Raman, etc...) identify your crystals for free if you sent me a small piece, but you never took me up on that offer - not sure why not since it wouldn't cost you more than postage.

The offer still stands - I could have thousands of dollars worth of analyses done for you for free if you would like.

Blindbowman

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cubfan64 said:
BB - I offered quite some time ago to have one of my coworkers who is an expert in all sorts of microscopy techniques (SEM, TEM, XRD, Raman, etc...) identify your crystals for free if you sent me a small piece, but you never took me up on that offer - not sure why not since it wouldn't cost you more than postage.

The offer still stands - I could have thousands of dollars worth of analyses done for you for free if you would like.

i would have to look for the sample but i have no problems with that , but why dont you come and see where the sample was collected from .. i am going to hike back to that location with witnesses if i can we can not stop there for more then a half hour but this is why i got the endoscope .. to look down in that cravise i think there is a crystall caverna under that cravise ...come to the Rendezous and i will hand pick a sample into a plastic sample bag without touching it with my bare hands that way the test will be 100 % clear as to what this type of stone is and what is in the black sands that is on the sample...

there are 3 or 4 egg size nuggets and a few 5 size marble size in this crystall vain . i only want one of the egg size i would hope the vein is not destorted or looted its a beauty rare type of vein IMHO ...i plain to be very careful to remove the one egg size with out destoreing the veins over appearence ...

but ya if you want a sample to test i think it should be a fresh sample direct from the sorce ..

up here in NY i see it all the time . when a new deposite is located they come and total take any thing they can get and destore the deposite for any kind of true study or research value ..

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blindbowman said:
Cubfan64 said:

i would have to look for the sample but i have no problems with that , but why dont you come and see where the sample was collected from .. i am going to hike back to that location with witnesses if i can we can not stop there for more then a half hour but this is why i got the endoscope .. to look down in that cravise i think there is a crystall caverna under that cravise ...come to the Rendezous and i will hand pick a sample into a plastic sample bag without touching it with my bare hands that way the test will be 100 % clear as to what this type of stone is and what is in the black sands that is on the sample...

there are 3 or 4 egg size nuggets and a few 5 size marble size in this crystall vain . i only want one of the egg size i would hope the vein is not destorted or looted its a beauty rare type of vein IMHO ...i plain to be very careful to remove the one egg size with out destoreing the veins over appearence ...

but ya if you want a sample to test i think it should be a fresh sample direct from the sorce ..

up here in NY i see it all the time . when a new deposite is located they come and total take any thing they can get and destore the deposite for any kind of true study or research value ..

I can't promise I will go out to the spot you found them, but I will be at the Rendezvous Friday early evening through early Sunday morning. I can take any samples back with me and get them analyzed.

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
Beth. FDA, my initials. I retired from the Scott Twp PD in the south hills of Pittsburgh. I-79 runs through our W border.

Blindbowman

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i will take you up on that offer Cub . i will 4 or 5 samples if this is the real LDM i have found and i do beleive it is . then the sample should be tested and assayed ...i have that sample that looks like brown opal and it has hair size wire gold runing threw the out layers.. that would be very interesting to test and see whats in it ...

i saw a lot of desert out there and lot of rock that is normal to that area but its the things that are normal that may leed to discoveries ...it can not one peice of rock to make a great discovery and its not always what you may be looking for at the time ..

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
BB sounds like you have quartz crystals with gold colored rutile inclusions. The rutile looks like needles inside the crystals.

Blindbowman

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sgtfda said:
BB sounds like you have quartz crystals with gold colored rutile inclusions. The rutile looks like needles inside the crystals.

those are two difrent samples SG ...one looks like a pure frosted quartz like so3 or so4 . and it has black sands on it , the other sample looks like some kind of brown opal or soap stone of some kind . it has hair fine wire gold in the outer layers .. areally fine wire gold ..

Gossamer

Apr 1, 2008
AZ
The crystal I was told about would be significant for its technology adaptation, rather than beauty.
Janiece

Blindbowman

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gossamer said:
The crystal I was told about would be significant for its technology adaptation, rather than beauty.
Janiece
ya that's the silicon so3 ...computer chip products are made with it.. and some other mother board and electronic parts and sircit boards..

OP
OP
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Gossamer said:
Janiece

That is interesting, another member here (and on LDM forum) has alluded to a crystal deposit in the Superstitions which he termed as "extremely dangerous" but would not explain any further; considering the rest of his theories were pretty far-fetched, the crystals story appeared much in the same light; however there is at least one old silica mine in the Supers which produced some, and you are right it is extremely important for the electronics industry. For our readers who do not post, hence the name "Silicon valley" (CA) which was not a hint at surgical breast enlargement, rather the main component material used for many electronic parts, especially 'chips' which require it.

Oroblanco

coffee-cup-icon.png

Oops need a refill!

EE THr

Silver Member
Apr 21, 2008
Central California
Blindbowman said:
Gossamer said:
Janiece
ya that's the silicon so3 ...computer chip products are made with it.. and some other mother board and electronic parts and sircit boards..

SO3 is Sulfur Trioxide, a major component of acid rain.

Silicon is "Si." It makes up 28% of the Earth's crust, and is the second most abundant element, after oxygen.

P.S.

The rubber-like synthetic polymer used in breast implants, sealants, adhesives, lubricants, cookware, and insulation---is Silicone.

8)

EE THr

Silver Member
Apr 21, 2008
Central California
Oroblanco said:
Gossamer said:

Janiece

That is interesting, another member here (and on LDM forum) has alluded to a crystal deposit in the Superstitions which he termed as "extremely dangerous" but would not explain any further; considering the rest of his theories were pretty far-fetched, the crystals story appeared much in the same light

That wouldn't be those magic, talking, purple and black crystals, would it?

OP
OP
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
I believe the magic crystals look like this:
methtypes.jpg

Can't say for I don't have direct experience with the magic crystals. :dontknow: :help:

:coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2:

Gossamer

Apr 1, 2008
AZ
What I was told and this is by my cousin, who is a second gen. miner, and a rock hound is that their were a kind of crystal found in AZ that is illegal to ship overseas, it was something akin to treason... of course he could be rather dramatic, but he does know his rocks.

They are among the 'purest' crystal found, whatever that means, it just struck me that if the gold was so high grade, why wouldn't the crystal be.
Janiece

OP
OP
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
For many years (not sure if it still is that way) some minerals were officially considered "strategic minerals" by the US govt, I think began in WW I with tungsten but later other vital war material type minerals were included, and it was illegal to ship overseas without permits from the Feds. I don't know if silica crystals were in that category, but it certainly is possible.

:coffee2: :coffee2:

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might be the right stuff to make a crystal skull out of ;D

Regards:SH.

Blindbowman

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gossamer said:
What I was told and this is by my cousin, who is a second gen. miner, and a rock hound is that their were a kind of crystal found in AZ that is illegal to ship overseas, it was something akin to treason... of course he could be rather dramatic, but he does know his rocks.

They are among the 'purest' crystal found, whatever that means, it just struck me that if the gold was so high grade, why wouldn't the crystal be.
Janiece

i have spent near the last 6 years trying to ask my self the same question . what makes this deposite diffrent from al rest ...?

and i do have to say i found a answer ..

in the data of the location i found volcanic venting present in all the sites . i beleive IMHO the answer is high pressure steam from volcanic venting ..condenisenceing the ore deposties before they hardern ,,most likely a second time ..its uncommon that a deposite would under go a chain of volcanic heating and cooling in this case it dose look like they did ..
i can out right prove one site did have a volcanic blow out of most likely steam and gases ..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread