The Peralta Stone Maps, Real Maps to Lost Gold Mines or Cruel Hoax?

Do you think the Peralta stone maps are genuine, or fake?

• Total voters

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sailaway,

To the Spanish a land league was 2.18 miles.

Mike

I usually go by Wiki when it come to units of measure Mike...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/League_(unit) And in this case Wiki states a legua to be 4180 meters or 2.6 miles...But IF you use the Portuguese legua measure...18 to a degree or 6172.84 meters...Who knows what that 18 to a degree means???I can never figure out the right measurement for a dang league...

You may be right though...

Last edited:

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I did not take AZ 666 to US60 as semis are not allowed, but was referring to the mines of Miami/Globe/Ray area when on US 60. There is more than one copper mine in Arizona. My mention of US 60 being flat, I specifically stated in New Mexico and then you brought up Show Low, Arizona as not being flat, two different states. No idea as to why you thought I hauled only out of Morenci or just loaded out of one of the mines in Arizona or could even make it up a highway like 666. Only way out of Morenci mine with a loaded Semi is US 70 to I-10.

No problem was just knew about the old 666 from Morenci. I know about Ray/Kerney, Superior, Miami/Globe Copper mines. Went to High School in Florence. Mind going blank, I think Ray was the town that they bought out because they found out that the vein went under the town and every one had to move to Kerney, back in the '60's. Some of the guys I went to HS with worked in the mines. Didn't mean to upset you, my mind just went off on a tangent. You are totally correct about RT. 60 in N.M. Always enjoyed looking at the Dishes out there off the road.

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Sailaway,

To the Spanish a land league was 2.18 miles.

Mike

The distance varied somewhat, but it's very close to 2.6 miles - traditionally 5,000 varas, or the distance a man could walk on even ground in an hour.

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
OK back on topic. The first question I have is who made the stone maps? The Peralta's while they were busy having their men mine and process gold ore? Why not do it on Leather? Easier to do than making chisels to cut the stones. If they buried them where they were found It must have been on the "Next to last trip" as there were no survivors from the last trip. If on th eNext to last trip, why not take them all the way home and not bury them?
With these questions I doubt that the Peralta's made the maps. Now if someone else made the maps, what are they leading to? One of the many mines that the Peralta's had? The one guy that was looking for the LDM found many different Arristas North of the Supes. Don't remember any in the Supes, bottom area anyway. Does anyone believe that Waltzer made the Stone Maps? I don't think so.
So who made them? Why go to the time to make them when Leather and even paper was common from the 1880's on? Saw a Check on display at a bank in Phoenix that was written on brown wrapping paper with an Indelible pencil from back in the late 1800's. That was why in the old movies they would "Lick" the pencil before writing on paper. It wasn't graphite (lead pencil) but a hard "Ink Stick" for the center.
So again why rock for the medium?

captain1965

Apr 12, 2015
Mesa
Detector(s) used
fisher gemini 3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe the stone maps were originally hidden, by carving them on gravestones... or to look like gravestones? Who knows..

EarnieP

Jul 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did I miss something?

Who 'found' the so-called Peralta Stones? Travis.

Who had similar stones lying around their old Texas homestead? Travis.

Whose hobby was carving pictures into stone slabs? Travis
(See Texas homestead chimney-stones).

Now the story seems to have evolved into; "Maybe Travis carved the stones, but they were actually based on an older 'authentic' animal hide map."

Where was that hide map found? In a Travis family barn.

Anyone else hear a loud clanging bell? DING! DING! DING! DING! :BangHead:

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear a clanging bell . I believe is from a bull that helped SH to take a picture for the Doc Hollywood thread .
But maybe we are for the Rubber Room annual check up .

Last edited:

motel6.5

Mar 27, 2012
Nevada,Calif.,Utah,Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its possible Travis started carveing on stone after he found the Stone maps, not before, the leather map found in the barn could have also been done by Travis. A barn could very well be a workshop also. Note the map found was in a barn , not a secure place like a safe. My guess is the Stone Maps were part of a larger collection of stone maps that came from a still unidentified room on a Mission property, maybe hidden underground , my thoughts only.

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other
Did I miss something?

Who 'found' the so-called Peralta Stones? Travis.

Who had similar stones lying around their old Texas homestead? Travis.

Whose hobby was carving pictures into stone slabs? Travis
(See Texas homestead chimney-stones).

Now the story seems to have evolved into; "Maybe Travis carved the stones, but they were actually based on an older 'authentic' animal hide map."

Where was that hide map found? In a Travis family barn.

Anyone else hear a loud clanging bell? DING! DING! DING! DING! :BangHead:

Mr P

How does this stuff in Texas relate to Travis when he lived in Portland, You do know that there was another family member that was good at stone carving right. And he lived in Texas all his life. Provide a pic of Travis carving the Stone Maps please, Then I'll ding a ling for you. Not even the Doc will produce that picture. I really don't know why people attach things to others without solid evidence to support it.

just saying

wrmickel1

EarnieP

Jul 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mr P

How does this stuff in Texas relate to Travis when he lived in Portland, You do know that there was another family member that was good at stone carving right. And he lived in Texas all his life. Provide a pic of Travis carving the Stone Maps please, Then I'll ding a ling for you. Not even the Doc will produce that picture. I really don't know why people attach things to others without solid evidence to support it.

just saying

wrmickel1

You've convinced me Mick, I'm sure you're right.
By the way, go ahead and send me the brochures on that swamp land in Florida, I'm ready to buy.

I know you've followed the story of 'The Family' in Texas. I believe they provided the testimony that Travis carved those Texas chimney stones as a young boy.

Now take that information and extrapolate out just a skosh... or don't.
It all works out the same.

Last edited:

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
You've convinced me Mick, I'm sure you're right.
Oh and by the way, go ahead and send me the brochures on that swamp land in Florida, I'm ready to buy.

I know you've followed the story of 'The Family' in Texas. I believe they provided the testimony that Travis carved those Texas chimney stones as a young boy.

Now take that information and extrapolate out just a skosh... or don't.
It all works out the same.

i've talked to some of Travis's relatives..i'm convinced travis carved the stones himself

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i've talked to some of Travis's relatives..i'm convinced travis carved the stones himself

I beg to differ azdave...I believe that I have been to the area depicted in the stones...And I have ore as proof...

I have offered to send you a sample so that you might run it thru your xrf analyzer and run your Pt test on it if you'd like...

I have stated that I have nothing to prove...There are those who have told me to put up or shut up...

Cubfan has offered to run a SEM on my ore and I am more than willing to Put Up...

So...Are you willing to provide a mailing address so that I might send you a sample for your xrf analyzer...Or will you shut up???

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is another thing that I believe that I should mention...The ore samples that I will be providing for any future testing are from a different hole in the wall from the 4.86 pounds of ore that I gave to an assayer whom I call Soapy Smith from Sacramento, CA...lol...That contained wire gold with a copper and platinum coating I believe...

Have I failed to mention that I have several holes in the wall???rofl

Anyhow...The ore that I will be providing is, as I have stated, to be from what I believe is the area depicted in the Peralta stones...hehehe

Last edited:

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
I beg to differ azdave...I believe that I have been to the area depicted in the stones...And I have ore as proof...

I have offered to send you a sample so that you might run it thru your xrf analyzer and run your Pt test on it if you'd like...

I have stated that I have nothing to prove...There are those who have told me to put up or shut up...

Cubfan has offered to run a SEM on my ore and I am more than willing to Put Up...

So...Are you willing to provide a mailing address so that I might send you a sample for your xrf analyzer...Or will you shut up???

i dont give my address out to stark raving lunatics but if you come to the rendezvous i'll bring my xrf and scan your sample there

Old

Feb 25, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some "experts" need to go back to basics. They lack even the simplest grasp of the subject matter.

Travis lived in Hood River, Oregon. Robert lived in Portland. Only missed it by 60 some miles. Close man, close. LOL. Treasure Hunter extraordinaire.

But; I can see where "they" would gravitate to Robert rather than Travis......birds of a feather do flock together.

EarnieP

Jul 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, I like the history of all the characters involved, but again I must be missing something.

Mick, how does a person living in Oregon during a later part of their life have anything to do with where they lived and what they did at an earlier time?

(With that logic, I guess the fact that I lived in Florida later in life must prove that I did not go to high school in New Mexico?)

Didn't Travis grow up in Texas? Didn't he supposedly meet Bonnie and Clyde in Texas? Didn't he do a little time in Texas?
How does his later residence in Oregon change any of that?

Yes, we know that Travis did live in Oregon at one time. The basis of the Peralta Stone's story is that the stones were 'found' while he was traveling between Texas and Oregon where I believe he was working as some kind of security guard/police officer(?).
How does that change his Texas history? Red Herring.

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other
The question is how does the place you lived become the main focus, of one's intire life. Now Most people go back to visit family I do. So then rafter that I spend the rest of my life looking for a Treasure that I know is not there cause I made the Treasure Map. Now how Rubber room is that. It makes no plausible sense, what so ever. If you puts yourself in his shoes. He's got a wife, daughter and a job which he kept. Taking trips to Az when he could to look for treasure. Wow that's all of us pretty normal guy to me. And I've spent time in my youth too! Has no bearing on me now.

Some off duty cop slapped his barmaid wife in a bar. Drunk of course he looked at everyone looking at the idiot and said, anybody got a problem, I said I did! Payed him back ten fold and a tad bit more. The big tuff cop filed charges on me when he found I gave the girl money and dropped her and her daughter off at her parents house five states away.

But anyway Now how do you judge character!

wrmickel1

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other
Some "experts" need to go back to basics. They lack even the simplest grasp of the subject matter.

Travis lived in Hood River, Oregon. Robert lived in Portland. Only missed it by 60 some miles. Close man, close. LOL. Treasure Hunter extraordinaire.

But; I can see where "they" would gravitate to Robert rather than Travis......birds of a feather do flock together.

Really Old

Your gonna whine about 60 miles. So if I said Frank lives in Phoenix you would be flabber gassed, This has to be a Ric Flair moment! WHOOOOOO. So Mr expert! Tell me how many miles from each other did Travis and Robert really live if you drop the names of the towns off and just do the miles. It was'nt nowhere near 60 miles.

Come on Family Historian.
lets do this
can you here me now
lets hang the family tree

Yours Truely

wrmickel1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread