Stone Charts of the Superstitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ellie Baba

Mar 7, 2005
Laveen, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
For those of you who still check in here... this image is dated 1850 and stylistically I see some similarities in the imagery found on the Horse stone. Also a few of the symbols are repeated on the stone charts. It was done by a map maker/artist who explored the West (including AZ). He was also a Freemason, a Topographer connected to the U.S. military and an employee of the Federal Government... with a few other coincidental connections. If the stones were carved pre-1935, then this artist is certainly worth considering.

Hi Hal,

Any other information related to this individual that you may have would be appreciated. I am also interested in topography relating to the early west.

Thanks,

Ellie Baba

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
"[Charles] Kenworthy became a full-time treasure seeker in 1972. He was working on a project south of Tucson in 1978 when he "casually" decided to come to Phoenix to work in the Superstitions. In the Greg Davis collection, there is a video where he explains how he got started. Kenworthy claims that he found the "caverna con casa" in December of 1980 and the Dutchman Mine in 1981. The Arizona Republic ran an article about the discovery on January 25, 1980. The laws at the time said you could mine as long as it was an existing mine. But in August of 1984, the laws changed. The Superstitions became part of the Tonto National Forest. It was deemed "wilderness" property and so you couldn't mine at all. There was plenty of forewarning. Kenworthy knew what he had, he had a staff of able men, and filed a claim in May of 1983. He took $13.5 million dollars worth of gold out of it. Greg Davis confirmed for me that Kenworthy is the only person known to have taken millions of dollars worth of gold out of the Superstitions. The mining claim calls it the "Big D" (named after the big D carved in the side of the mountain). Then he filled in the funnel with rubble and left it. He self-published a book about it in 1997. The book doesn't give the details of the value I just mentioned. This is hearsay from the Tin Man, who should know because Kenworthy's youngest son is his antiquities lawyer. Kenworthy passed away in 2000 and he bequeathed his money to all five sons. The wife is still alive near Los Angeles and she manages the Quest Corporation, the treasure seeking "business" that Kenworthy founded. Maybe someday, they will come out with information and documents about the discovery. (151)"

Treasure Maps of the Superstitions: The Peralta Stone Maps Show a Route to a New and Different Treasure Than the Lost Dutchman's Mine
Amy Michelle Mosier (2006)

I just want to know if anyone on the TN has read this book and if so what are your thoughts on the above quote. Mosier has even shared the GPS coordinates to Kenworthy's mine, which I have posted in the image below. $13.5 million in gold would have been quite a haul to move. Using 1984 as the date, gold was at app. $350 a troy ounce which is $4,200 a pound. Kenworthy would have needed to move app. 3,200 pounds of "processed" gold to make $13.5 million. Was it possible to processed the ore on site? If not the weight must have been considerably more... that is unless he found a cache. Is there any truth to this story? Can someone bring me up to speed regarding Greg Davis? Thanks!

The location "the terrain" just does not appear to match any of the established clues to the DLM and I honestly don't see any connection to the Heart/Trail stone.

Hal
Amy's Book seems to attemp to reenforce the claims made by Chuck Crawford as to the location of the LDM, only in this case she, Amy, is calling it a different treasure alltoghether.
I found there to be very little in her work which warrants any serious investigation or consideration, I do applaud her for her effort, it is quite an accomplishment for someone her age.
Best Regards
Alan

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"[Charles] Kenworthy became a full-time treasure seeker in 1972. He was working on a project south of Tucson in 1978 when he "casually" decided to come to Phoenix to work in the Superstitions. In the Greg Davis collection, there is a video where he explains how he got started. Kenworthy claims that he found the "caverna con casa" in December of 1980 and the Dutchman Mine in 1981. The Arizona Republic ran an article about the discovery on January 25, 1980. The laws at the time said you could mine as long as it was an existing mine. But in August of 1984, the laws changed. The Superstitions became part of the Tonto National Forest. It was deemed "wilderness" property and so you couldn't mine at all. There was plenty of forewarning. Kenworthy knew what he had, he had a staff of able men, and filed a claim in May of 1983. He took $13.5 million dollars worth of gold out of it. Greg Davis confirmed for me that Kenworthy is the only person known to have taken millions of dollars worth of gold out of the Superstitions. The mining claim calls it the "Big D" (named after the big D carved in the side of the mountain). Then he filled in the funnel with rubble and left it. He self-published a book about it in 1997. The book doesn't give the details of the value I just mentioned. This is hearsay from the Tin Man, who should know because Kenworthy's youngest son is his antiquities lawyer. Kenworthy passed away in 2000 and he bequeathed his money to all five sons. The wife is still alive near Los Angeles and she manages the Quest Corporation, the treasure seeking "business" that Kenworthy founded. Maybe someday, they will come out with information and documents about the discovery. (151)"

Alan,

There seem to be to many holes in this, none of which are the LDM.

It seems that the Arizona Republic ran the article on Jan. 25 1980. This is before Kenworthy claimed to have found anything.:icon_scratch:

If Kenworthy really found the LDM in 1981, he could have claimed it right away. Why wait until May 1983?

If he had really found the LDM, he would have matched the gold with that of the match box.

If he had really found the LDM, and worked it, a lot of people would have seen it, or known about it.

If he had a real claim to the LDM, it would have been grandfathered by the Wilderness Act. There would have been no need to stop working the mine in 1984. The Milk Ranch claims #4 & #5 were maintained as valid mining claims right up to April 7, 2004 when they expired due to abandonment based on the owner's failure to renew the claims. BLM records will verify this.

What could be possible, is that Kenworthy found some sunken ship gold, and used a mining claim to cash it in.

Is there a picture of the big D carved into the mountain side?

Homar

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Homar
I agree completly, I would like to see proof that Kemworthy found gold, However........
There is the issue of the trail markers and signs, some I have seen personaly and others I have seen photos of, not just from his books.
Someone made those trail markers and I do not think it was Kenworthy who made them.
Alan

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I have seen many of the ones Kenworthy shows in his books, heads, holes in rocks that light shines through, and huge rock carins, Also horse heads carved into cliffs, as well as faces carved into cliffs and on the sides of mountain outcrops.
I have my own photos af all of these.
Joe, if we get the chance to meet at this years rendevouz, I will show them to you.
Best regards
Alan

peralta

Sep 28, 2011
oahu hawaii
Detector(s) used
Whites 2-box
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coazone de oro, you are correct.but they will never tell us the real truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread