Stone Charts of the Superstitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
In this thread I hope to collectively review the various published solutions to the stone charts. Please feel free to post your comments and or observations. I will begin with Crawford's Trail Map, which I must say is an amazing effort and one that should not be ignored. My initial concern with the Crawford map is the meandering, difficult route it requires to reach the end of the trail... which begins in Queen Valley(!!). A much shorter and perhaps less arduous trail would begin in Gold Canyon.

Red = Trail stone
Green = Access Road

The Crawford Trail Map Reproduced in Google Earth
Crawford's End of Trail (Topo) - Note: Cave
Crawford's Search Area - Note: Circular Anomaly
Anomaly In Crawford's Search Area - Size: 30' x 30'

EE THr

Silver Member
Apr 21, 2008
Central California
Very interesting. I think I've seen it before, but not on a satelite photo. Nice work.

Is there a reason known as to why he chose that position for the trail?

Also, do the red dots merely represent the Trail Map spots, or do they show items which actually exist along that route?

OP
OP
Hal Croves

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Yes, there are a few questions that need to be answered. The Red Dots are a direct transfer from Crawford's map. They do seem to consistently mark prominent geographic features such as summits, which I find incredible. Then there is the strange anomaly that is sitting right in the middle of Crawford's search area. I can not comment about the positioning of Crawford's Trail Map, but the fact that it begins in Queen Valley is something that I find very strange. There are a few stories about Queen Valley that pertain to the DLM and gold.
Crawford seems to have been a unique individual.
But his (Crawford's) story is a sad one.

EE THr

Silver Member
Apr 21, 2008
Central California
The topo reminded me of this Apache Junction Library map---

Wagoner Map Modernized - treasm28.jpg

I have no idea if they might be somehow related or not, but it does show that there was some additional interest in that area, which seems interesting....

:dontknow:

OP
OP
Hal Croves

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Google Earth is such an incredible tool. Here is the Crawford Trail Map (Red) and the Wagoner Map (Blue) positioned in GE. The idea of a possible connection is something to consider since both trails terminate in the same general location. Still even stranger is the fact that both maps begin in Queen Valley.

The Wagoner Mine:
"Fred Mullins, a stage coach driver out of Pinal, told a story about a man who discovered gold on the west side of Picacho Butte in 1894. Picacho Butte is the hill east of Whiskey Spring. The man, named Wagoner would board the stage in Pinal and depart in the desert on the south side of the Superstition Mountains near the Whitlow Ranch. After taking out hand picked rose-quartz gold ore he would meet the stage for a ride back to Pinal. Wagoner told Mullins his route from Whitlow Ranch was up Randolph Canyon, up the Red Tank Canyon, down LaBarge and around Picacho Butte. Wagoner said he concealed the outcropping with brush and rocks and planted a circle of trees around the site so he could locate it in the future. In 1952, gold in rose-quartz float was found by prospector and miner Ray Howland on the west side of Picacho Butte. No one has reported the exact location of Wagoner's diggings".

Wagoner Trail Map (Blue):

Possible Wagoner Search Areas - Note: Exposed Ridge (Fault?)

OP
OP
Hal Croves

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
I am looking for any information regarding the settling of Queen Valley. Seems more difficult than it should be. Thanks in advance!
Hal

Loke,
Regarding Wagoner's ledge.... what exactly do you think the "ledge" is? I have been reading up on this story and the use of the word "ledge" seems misleading.
1). a narrow horizontal surface projecting from a wall, cliff, or other surface : he heaved himself up over a ledge.
2). an underwater ridge, esp. of rocks beneath the sea near the shore.
3). Mining a stratum of metal- or ore-bearing rock; a vein of quartz or other mineral.
Wagoner seems to have almost "tripped" over the site, which tells me that it must be a small rock formation detached from Picacho Butte, perhaps in an area one mile west of whisky Springs.

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Hal,

Quite simple really. Pick up this book: "SUPERIOR & QUEEN VALLEY". That may have the kind of information you are looking for.

Good luck,

Joe

Loke

Mar 24, 2010
Republic of Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@Hal,
I guess the definition of the word 'ledge' is all in the eyes of the be(er)holder.
Me, I would primarily go for 1), but I would not discount 3) - or - it could be a combination of 1) and 3).
Both of them would seem to me to qualify as a "I stumbled upon it" - which I believe is the case ...

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Hal,

"Wagoner seems to have almost "tripped" over the site, which tells me that it must be a small rock formation detached from Picacho Butte, perhaps in an area one mile west of whisky Springs."

If the story is true, I have always thought Coffee Flat Mountain, right next to Picacho Butte, was a viable search area. Believe there was a canyon on the south end that used to be called Javelina Canyon. :o Some may recall that name from another story. :read2: :dontknow:

Take care,

Joe

EE THr

Silver Member
Apr 21, 2008
Central California
Hal---

I like that map by Mr. Kollenborn, because it includes "The Trick in the Trail." And apparently there is a rock "face" right around there, too.

The "Pit and Tunnel" seem to be a little further down Peter's Canyon, along with the "Casa Caverna." But there is a version of Waltz's instructions that has him saying, "There were two holes dug by the Spanish, and I dug a third."

What's lacking in the map, though, is "X marks the spot" of the LDM!

Any ideas about that?

:coffee2:

EE THr

Silver Member
Apr 21, 2008
Central California
Hal---

There are several maps on the Apache junction Public Library Website which indicate arrastres on the South side of the Salt River, in the Tortilla Flat area, and mines to the South of them. Here is one map in particular, which links them to a pit-tunnel-cave configuration.

Very interesting. I'd like to hear more of your theory.

:coffee2:

Gossamer

Apr 1, 2008
AZ
Ok, this thread is very interesting to me, but I won't participate if you are going to pull the thread and all the info we all contribute goes to hell. Sorry but that is how I feel.

I think you have some very interesting and provoking insights and would love to further the conversation. But can you just lock the thing down rather than toss it?
Thanks,
Janiece

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Allo, which came first. the Dutchman or the stones?

Since the Dutchman came first, I tend to believe that if the stones weren't for Reevis, then they were made to divert others away from his primary search area. apparently he was extremely effective.

This also explains why he continued looking for the Dutchman for years, but, he wasn't using any of the data on the stones, but older data. soooo go to where he went, not to where the stones say.

so Ignore any data that came 'after' they supposedly first came to light.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp said:
Allo, which came first. the Dutchman or the stones?

Since the Dutchman came first, I tend to believe that if the stones weren't for Reevis, then they were made to divert others away from his primary search area. apparently he was extremely effective.

This also explains why he continued looking for the Dutchman for years, but, he wasn't using any of the data on the stones, but older data. soooo go to where he went, not to where the stones say.

so Ignore any data that came 'after' they supposedly first came to light.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Most (all) 'treasure maps' that come to light are disinformation, as well as the 'facts' that folks hang on, especially these cottage industry treasures which have been so severely corrupted over the decades. You've made a good point, DJ. It would be interesting to know where in the central Arizona mountains that Tumlinson haunted. North of the Salt, perhaps?

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Hal,

Can you tell us how the trail, as you have laid it out, is possible on the ground? You have said it is difficult in places, and you have not walked the entire trail. From what I can see, it would not be possible to stay on your trail.

The overlay can be placed anywhere in the range. IMHO, it should at least match the terrain in a majority of the twists and turns. Otherwise, it's not a viable map. What landmarks convince you that your placement is correct?

I fully understand if you don't want to explain these things, so it's your call.

I know of a cave about 3/4 of the way up a mountain in your area. Seen from the south, you can see timbers in the entrance. There is a story of a fantastic treasure in the cave. While I have an eye-witness, it's still pretty iffey. :dontknow:

Take care,

Joe

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Hal,

There are many "contour lines" on the Stone Maps. How do you differentiate those lines from elevation lines on a topographic map? Did I ever send you my map?

I have never been a big fan of Chuck Kenworthy's theories and conclusions. Despite that I have all, I believe, of his books. I have a CD of him explaining his conclusions on the Stone Maps. In it, he becomes totally confused with his drawings and computations. Reminds me of Gov. Perry in the debate last night. :icon_scratch: :dontknow:

I do not consider the Latin Heart at all. It's not authentic to an older era, but is a modern-day creation.

Thanks for your reply,

Joe

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Hal,

You are welcome to use any reproductions of my map that you lke.

"But his book titled TREASURE SIGNS-SYMBOLS-SHADOW & SUN SIGNS can absolutely be used to better understand the carvings on the stone charts."

Can you tell me what (historical documents) Kenworthy used as a source for his information in that book?

I believe Tom Kollenborn was the local source for the Latin Heart, including Jim Hatt's copy. It did not originate with him. As I recall, the original came through a fellow from Texas. I could be wrong about that portion of my statement, but Tom believes it is a total hoax.

Take care,

Joe

Gossamer

Apr 1, 2008
AZ
Thank you Hal, I appreciate that!

So I'm in, but for the next couple of weeks I will have to read a lot, as I'm in an out of town quite a bit.

Look forward to it.
Janiece

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread