The Bark Notes

ApacheGold

Greenie
Aug 14, 2012
Tempe
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello all,

I am new to the site actually just found it. I have read off and on books about the Dutchman mine since my dad first told me the legend of Waltz when I was a boy. Actually first book I read was Sterling legend anyways let me get to the point. I just recently took up the interest again since moving out towards the Superstitions and plan on heading in there for a peak around eventually. Now I remember hearing about James Bark Notes back when I was young but I could never seem to find the book in any public library growing up and now I am curious again to get my hands on it but don't know where I could purchase this book. Can anyone help me with this?

Thx,
Matt

Dirty Dutchman

Dec 27, 2010
Arizona
Detector(s) used
My Brain
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can read a copy of one version at the library on 7th street and McDowell. They are located in the "Arizona Room" and they require you to wear white gloves when reading them.(which they provide)

Good luck,
Travis

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Matt,

All of the versions of the Bark Notes are, basically, the same. They only differ in structure,
such as, spelling, format and grammar.

The seventh version, is said to be the actual hand written notes of James Bark. It's been
rumored that Dr. Thomas Glover has seen that seventh version, but he has personally
denied that to me.

It seems unlikely that anyone has seen those notes, or I would suspect that another book
would have been written.....leaving out key clues.

My own copy was a gift from Steve Creager, who is now deceased.

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo

Dirty Dutchman

Dec 27, 2010
Arizona
Detector(s) used
My Brain
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Travis,

Anytime someone responds to a post, it is usually a "One upper". You, of course, never do that.

Newbies are often looking for additional information that can't be found in books, just as you once did.

Take care,

Joe

LOL, take it easy Joe... It was just a joke referencing a Saturday night live skit! Nothing personal was meant big guy!

Thanks
Travis

Dec 26, 2006
Centennial, CO
Regarding the Bark Notes, he mentions finding a stone lined well constructed somewhere in the bottom of La Barge Canyon along the east base. William Edwards also mentions this well in his explorations following the trail of bones and other traces of the Peralta massacre. Is this location known? Or has it been covered over by floods or destroyed by those who might want its existence to be unknown?

Also, in a somewhat related question, have there been any archaeological surveys more recent that the 30's or 40's and if not, has there ever been any indications that the government might allow further archaeological surveys of core areas of the Supers? I know almost all of the surface artifacts must be long gone but with a few well placed exploratory trenches some very interesting confirmations might be made.

Thanks,

Colorado Mine Hunter

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Regarding the Bark Notes, he mentions finding a stone lined well constructed somewhere in the bottom of La Barge Canyon along the east base. William Edwards also mentions this well in his explorations following the trail of bones and other traces of the Peralta massacre. Is this location known? Or has it been covered over by floods or destroyed by those who might want its existence to be unknown?

Also, in a somewhat related question, have there been any archaeological surveys more recent that the 30's or 40's and if not, has there ever been any indications that the government might allow further archaeological surveys of core areas of the Supers? I know almost all of the surface artifacts must be long gone but with a few well placed exploratory trenches some very interesting confirmations might be made.

Thanks,

Colorado Mine Hunter

CMH,

Hope all is well. My good friend, Dave, and his wife are spending the summer in Colorado,
within site of my old house. Fire just about ruined that section of Colorado a few years
ago.

Have you ever seen any historical documentation for William Edwards? If you have, would
you mind sharing?

Thanks,

Joe

Dec 26, 2006
Centennial, CO
Joe,
The fires were pretty bad this year; the worst in the State's history. Nothing close to me, though some acquaintances had some worries for a while. Many people did lose their homes and all possessions near Colorado Springs and up near Fort Collins.

I have no documentation on William Edwards other than what I read in Cobin's "Bible" account of his finding, along with a trooper named Joe Green, of bones of Mexican miners and his subsequent search for where they got the ore that he found with those remains. Helen Corbin wrote that this info 'came from his diary' and was handed down to his son Benjamin and subsequently to a relative named Mathew Roberts. Has this account been proved false or has it had a shadow of doubt laid over it? Do you know if Helen still alive? Can she comment on the background of her sources for this account?

Thanks for all your input Joe,

CMH

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
CMH,

How Helen's book came to be written is a very interesting story. The source for most of the material in "The Bible...." came from one man, Mathew Kraig Roberts. That information and the story of how it came to Helen, has been told to me, more than once, by Bob Corbin.

Recently Bob has seen evidence about Roberts, that convinced him that the book should be removed from as many stores as he had the right to remove them from. The whole thing has been written about many times. Here is one thread that contains some information:

DesertUSA.com/mb3 • View topic - Lust for Gold/Movie

I have a lot of respect for the Corbin's. Helen was a fine author, but she and Bob, along with many others, were bamboozled by a trusted friend(?)/source. I would use great caution using "The Bible..." as a source.

Helen passed away in 2008.

Take care,

Joe

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2006
Centennial, CO
Joe,
Thanks for your input. I will check out the link and am sorry to hear that the source material for some of Helen's book is probably in doubt. Also sorry to hear of the loss of Helen herself. We all seem to pass along just when we have finally reached our zenith of knowledge and understanding. What a waste.

It is discouraging to greenhorns such as myself that every lead seems to turn to dust or be shadowed with grave doubt just when you think you have been able to put good evidence together. Ah well, no persistent seeker was ever rewarded by giving up the quest. I find this mystery fascinating and sure hope that someday someone solves the puzzle. I'm hoping that the truth does come out sometime.

At any rate, I truly appreciate your input. Your insights and opinions are very respected by me. Hope we get to meet someday.

Thanks,

Harvey

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Harvey,

Many thanks for the, too kind, words. I look forward to meeting you as well. The Rendezvous??

It's a sad commentary on some people's egos and lives, that they feel the need to fabricate another life, and false history for the LDM. It makes for very bad karma, especially if you build a big part of your reputation around a false Apache personal history.

Don't let the crap discourage you. I have been accused of trying to turn people away from Dutch Hunting. What I have tried to do, instead, is inject some reality and truth into the legends and history.

I believe in the LDM. As long as you believe, and remain healthy enough, you should all continue your search.

Take care,

Joe

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
From what Dr. Glover has told me, he has original notes and letters from the Sims Ely family's collection.

Anyone who has questions or doubts about Sims' book or the Bark notes can ask about them at the Rendezvous.
I believe this is as close as anyone can truthfully get to being there when Jacob Waltz died. If there was an
actual seventh version of the Bark Notes, we may all be able to find out what was in that version.

For those who may not know, the seventh version was said to be Bark's actual hand written notes. I have my doubts about such a version, so I will be asking Dr. Glover (again) about the possibility that they exist.

See you at the Rendezvous.

Joe Ribaudo

JohnnyMc

Sep 19, 2017
Chandler, AZ
Primary Interest:
Other
Matt,

I don't know if you have finally located a source for the Bark Notes. I am more than willing to share my copy as I went to the Burton Barr Library and converted the Probert version to pdf. I can email them to you if you still are looking for them.

John

OP
OP
A

ApacheGold

Greenie
Aug 14, 2012
Tempe
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Matt,

I don't know if you have finally located a source for the Bark Notes. I am more than willing to share my copy as I went to the Burton Barr Library and converted the Probert version to pdf. I can email them to you if you still are looking for them.

John

John,

I was never able to completely read the Bark notes in full as the only copy I was ever able to get a hold of was at the Phoenix library but you have to read it in this room while wearing gloves and can be a pain. I would really appreciate if you could email me a copy of them I would love to finish reading them. My email is [email protected]. It would be nice to do a lil reading on the subject since I plan on doing some hiking up there sine the weather is becoming favorable.

Thank you again,
Matt

Craigwac

Jan 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John,

I too would love to have a copy of the Bark notes. I'm not in Phoenix anymore, and won't be for a while. So I can't make it to the library!

Thanks in advance! My email is [email protected]

Craig

zzppygrl2u

Tenderfoot
Jul 7, 2012
AZ
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Matt,

John

Dear John,
If the offer is still available I would love to read the Bark Notes. My email is: [email protected]

Blindbowman

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what Dr. Glover has told me, he has original notes and letters from the Sims Ely family's collection.

Anyone who has questions or doubts about Sims' book or the Bark notes can ask about them at the Rendezvous.
I believe this is as close as anyone can truthfully get to being there when Jacob Waltz died. If there was an
actual seventh version of the Bark Notes, we may all be able to find out what was in that version.

For those who may not know, the seventh version was said to be Bark's actual hand written notes. I have my doubts about such a version, so I will be asking Dr. Glover (again) about the possibility that they exist.

See you at the Rendezvous.

Joe Ribaudo
Joe as Bark stated a detail in his notes that were in the book ..and that clue is real and dose exist ...!you wont know it till your standing in the cave ...Bark describes something in detail and I can tell you for a fact that detail is 100% real and dose exist ..!

Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
Joe as Bark stated a detail in his notes that were in the book ..and that clue is real and dose exist ...!you wont know it till your standing in the cave ...Bark describes something in detail and I can tell you for a fact that detail is 100% real and dose exist ..!

Paracelsus, Philippus Aureolus Theophrastus Bombastus von Hohenheim always did say The Dose Makes the Poison. But I ask you once again, does the bow in your ID stand for the front end of a boat, an arrow launching device, or something else?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread