cactusjumper

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Marius,

"The question is : Was the Peraltas Jesuits or just used Jesuits practices ?"

This is one of the connections I found tying the Peralta's to a religion:

[My own research into the Stone Maps has taken me back to Juan de Grijalva (Grijalba). I found that he had sent back a great deal more treasure in the first ship than in the second that returned at a later date. While that could be explained by many factors, it does (at least) raise the suspicion that he may have held back a personal cache.

Moving along, I found an account of Blas Peralta, who was from the Arispe district. That would be the Peralta family of LDM legend. I believe his son married the daughter of Don Salvador Julian Moreno, who had fallen on hard times. Not being at home right now, I could be mistaken about who married who.

"In 1765, Moreno burdened his estate with a capellanía -- a lien that generated an annual interest payment of 5 percent -- to benefit his son Joseph Maria Buenaventura Moreno, who was studying for the priesthood at the Colegio de San Yldefonso in Mexico City. The principal totaled 4,000 pesos: half that amount came from the legacy (which Don Salvador and Doña Beatriz had matched) of Juan Joseph de Grijalba, a secular priest and family friend." That lien kept the Moreno estate solvent for the next 30 years. The Peralta lands were adjoined by holdings owned by Juan and Pedro Ballesteros.]

These were the Peralta's of Arispe.

Good luck,

Joe

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Matthew

I will never betray the trust you showed me

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...Some know , and some just wondering ...

OP
OP
cactusjumper

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
All,

Here is a question from Peter's old site, with a response from Kraig concerning Jake's gold bar:

rochha
06-07-2008, 11:09 AM
Aurum,

Where are the maps that Jake had with him to show this lady?

What ever happened to the gold bar with the symbol on it?
06-07-2008, 04:48 PM
rochha,

Crazy Jake was indicted by the Maricopa County Grand Jury on 6 counts of fraud and theft on December 4, 1985. Sheriff's deputies caught up to Jake that evening leaving town towing a horse trailer packed with his belongings. His girlfriend / common law wife, Nancy Cochran was with him. All of Jakes dutchman files, maps and things were in that trailor which was taken into custody as evidence. Jake only received a small fraction of this personal property back when he was eventually released from prison in 1992.

Both of the maps Jake had however, are in circulation today. The Kochera/Haywood map has appeared on a couple websites and may have even appeared here at one time. I hold a lot of personal confidence in this map because of something unrelated that appears on it.

On that map, suposedly obtained by Kochera from an Apache indian, are the words Pesh Klitzo, writen on the mountain that also is depicted in the rock symbol. Pesh Klitzo is the old, traditional pronounciation and spelling for the Apache word, gold. Pesh being metal, and klitzo being the old Apache word for the color of the sun. Modern day Apache linguists now adopt the word and spelling of "Besh" for metal, and the word Klitzo has also been altered to now reflect the color yellow. Only a true Apache who knew traditional Apache would have known this and wrote it that way on the map.

Both of these maps, the Kochera map and the Peck map are in Greg Davis map collection. I cannot say if the copy Jake had was any different but I doubt it was. I have seen both these maps from different sources and they are all basically the exact same map. Peter may also have these maps and may be persuaded to post them.

To understand what happened I should back up and explain the chain of events as there has been a lot of misinformation about Jake and his legal problems printed over the years.

Jake was indicted on 6 counts of fraud and theft on December 4, 1985. He was arrested that evening.

The gold bar was with Jake's other possessions and taken as evidence with the rest of the trailor contents. Jake never got it back and it is probably in someones personal collection at this time as I followed up on it myself with the Attorney General's office and was told Jake never filed the papers to get his property back and it was disposed of after the legal period of time. I know that some of Jake's things have surfaced since then but I have never seen or heard of the gold bar or who may have it today. Since there never was a trial, the gold bar was never introduced as evidence against Jake and remained with his personal possessions.

Jake posted bail and continued to live at his Trails End Ranch at Chandler while awaiting his trial on the charges.

On August 15, 1986, Jake pleaded guilty to 3 counts of fraud and received a plea agreement erasing the other 3 charges against him. Jake never went to trial which has been reported many times erroneously over the years.

On September 15, 1986 Judge Michael Ryan of the Maricopa County Superior Court sentenced Jake to 10 years in the Arizona State prison at Perryville. He also sentenced Jake to 3 years on an aggrivated charge but the sentences ran concurrently. Jake was ordered to repay $100,750 to the victims within one year of his release from prison. He also was ordered to repay the Attorney Generals office $10,000 for the cost of prosecuting him.

Jake began serving his prison sentence that same day. He served 6 years of his 10 year sentence and was released from the Perryville facility on October 15, 1992.

Jake was in ill health and had gained a large amount of weight while in prison. He moved into a small house at 3328 W. Tangerine in North Central Phoenix, just south of Metro Center Mall. His common law wife Nancy Cochran resided there with him.

There have been many stories and accounts of Jake dying at a Bob's Big Boy Restaurant in Mesa or Tempe but that never happened. Jake may have at one time had some health problems while dining at one of those restaurants and paramedics may even have been called but I know of no evidence to confirm those stories. Jake died at John C. Lincoln Hospital in North Phoenix after complaining of diziness and heart pains while at his home on W. Tangerine in Phoenix. Nancy Cochran called paramedics and Jake died either in route to JCL Hospital, or shortly after his arrival at the emergency room there.

Robert "Crazy Jake" Simpson's body was cremated and he is buried in Camino del Ray Cemetery in Sun City. His remains were interred in a small ceremony on July 20,1996.

At the time of Jakes death, he had with him a copy of his first manuscript, a few photos of Bill Barkley and himself and very little else to show for a colorful and wild life spent chasing dreams in the Superstition Mountains.

I have it on good authority, the best, that Jake did not have a gold bar confiscated when he was arrested. Likely just another urbin legend........along the lines of Bob's Big Boy.

If that's true, and I believe it is, it casts another bad light on the entire story. I don't recall Jake's mentioning it in his manuscript.

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First of all, it is important everyone understand and keep in mind, unless someone can post an internet website link where you can actually go and read for yourself what was posted, what is reposted can be altered by anyone to say anything they want it to say. Once downloaded from a web site, a post can be partially deleted, changed, added to, or completely rewritten by whomever downloads them. Many times individuals have accused others of deleting their posts, and this is why. In the past, posts have been downloaded by internet trolls and anger management challenged individuals with chips on their shoulders, the original posts altered, and reposted as the original authors words. This has happened to several individuals, Jim Hatt was one it happened to, Peter another and a few others come to mind. Some people have been banned from websites and forums for using this practice. A reputable person would never employ reposting without providing a live link back to the original post.

So unless someone can refer you back to the original website the repost was taken from so you can read the original post for yourself , use caution that the post may have been altered in some way. I'm not accusing anyone of anything here, just stating some historical facts you may not be aware of and should keep in mind.

Since no one outside of law enforcement ever saw a copy of the list of items in Jake's trailor that were taken by the Chanler police, it is "assumed" his gold bar was among those items. Possibly it was hidden somewhere but all of Jake's bank accounts, lock boxes and storage lockers were searched. Maybe he buried it in the mountains, I don't know for certain ?. No gold bar was found at the home Jake was leaving that day.

Note * One error occurred in the above repost, Jake is not buried in the Camino Del Ray cemetery in Sun City. He is buried in the Camino Del Sol cemetery in Sun City West, Arizona.

The Superstition Mountain Historical Society (SMHS) has asked me to write an article on Crazy Jake and his life, his time in the mountains, his incarceration and his final days. Many interesting things will come out in that article, things like Crazy Jake never met Bob Corbin the then Arizona Attorney General whose office prossecuted Jake. Crazy Jake never saw Corbin, never talked with him, never knew what he looked like or what Corbin's real involvement with the Superstition Mountains might have been. The article will appear in the next edition of the SMHS Journal due out late this year or early in 2014.

Matthew K. Roberts

Last edited:

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He moved into a small house at 3328 W. Tangerine ???
was he using a different name at this location?

secretcanyon,

Jake used his real name while living at the Tangerine address (Robert Simpson Jacob).
He continued to have regular appointments with his parole officer after leaving prison and was required to keep his PO appraised of his current address.

Matthew

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe

" Both of these maps, the Kochera map and the Peck map are in Greg Davis map collection. I cannot say if the copy Jake had was any different but I doubt it was. I have seen both these maps from different sources and they are all basically the exact same map "

Where I can to see these maps ?

Last edited:

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
markmar,

Haywood Map Kochera 1960.jpg

This is the Haywood map. Haywood was an Apache indian who showed the map to John Kochera in the 1960's.

Kochera map 1966.jpg

This is the Haywood-Kochera map, assumed drawn by Haywood for Kochera.
Richard Peck, a wealthy dutch hunter had copies of both maps at one time.
I am not sure if Crazy Jake got his copies of the maps from Kochera or Richard Peck.

Matthew K. Roberts

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Matthew

Thank you

markmar,

Something for you to think about. Look closely at the Haywood map in the area where the words pesh kitzo are printed.
Then look at the second photo you asked me to send you.
Now look at the second map in the area directly above the word, squaw.
Both maps are describing the same area.
The photo you have relates to both maps.
Crazy Jake knew this and was the reason he was so interested in the area where he centered his camp. Also the reason he wanted everyone else out of that area.

Matthew

starman 1

Jun 3, 2010
crazy jake

Hello Mr. Roberts,

I just wanted to say how much I have enjoyed your posts and have always found them to be informative and well thought out. You operate at a fundamental level of understanding of the Superstitions that only a few of us can hope to attain.

It is sad that others have obtained a vast wealth of data regarding the Superstitions yet have only a small understanding of that data.

May the Stars keep you safe.

Starman

Last edited:

ELBAYO

Nov 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Matthew, I am sure you know what map the drawing of the Kochera map you posted was taken from...Both of those little drawings are taken from larger maps.....Matthew do you know what map the small Kochera map you posted was taken from?

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Matthew

I saw the maps , and I can tell some things . The Haywood map is accurate , but the Cochera is a bad copy .
In Haywood map the hill is not independent ( like in the photo ) , but attachable to a mountain .
The Three Red Hills seems to be in a wrong place , but have another meaning .
The map says : from the top of the canyon box go north and when you pass ( or see ) the north end of the Three Red Hills turn , to the west . There is a hill attachable to the south end of a mountain , which has on the top a mine and at the base a tunel . From my investigation , this mine is not the LDM or Apache main mine .

ELBAYO

Nov 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Markmar
The Kochera map was changed from the original drawing it was copied from....I am surprised with all the great hunters on T-net one of them has not posted the complete map yet....Maybe Joe could post the complete Kochera map on here for all to see?

Double-Jack

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Matthew, I am sure you know what map the drawing of the Kochera map you posted was taken from...Both of those little drawings are taken from larger maps.....Matthew do you know what map the small Kochera map you posted was taken from?

ELBAYO,

I don't know the map you are refering to. Possibly I have seen it but cannot recall when or where.

I am not promoting either map or the Kochera account, or the Crazy Jake account. I am just passing along the information as I learned it. I would like to learn more as I do not discount the maps and accounts either.

Thanks,

Matthew

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread