CRAZY JAKE

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone willing to part with a copy of the Crazy Jake manuscript? Long or short version is fine with me. I'd love to read it.

Thanks for your time,
Waylon

WATASHA,

Crazy Jake's two manuscripts are vastly different. The short one was written not long after Jake came to Arizona and the second, long version (about 580 pages ) was written after Jake went to prison in 1986.

The short one is actually quite good, interesting, historical and lucid, it shows Jake before he decided to use the Dutchman legends to seriously make millions from investors.

The second long manuscript Jake wrote in Prison over a 6 year period. He said he wrote it to keep from going over the edge being locked up 16-23 hours a day. It has little of interest concerning the Dutchman in it, but for the most part was a novel Jake was writing about himself. He was to be the star in this rambling account of his life which he fully knew was fiction but based on some of his real life experiences.

I'm in California and most of my files are now in the SMHS repository at Greg Davis house. I'll be back in Arizona soon to visit with Clay and Greg and will copy both manuscripts for you. I've copied many of my files for others and am always happy to do it when time allows me the luxury.

Matthew

WATASHA

Aug 26, 2013
Phoenix
Detector(s) used
Dowsing
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
WATASHA,

Crazy Jake's two manuscripts are vastly different. The short one was written not long after Jake came to Arizona and the second, long version (about 580 pages ) was written after Jake went to prison in 1986.

The short one is actually quite good, interesting, historical and lucid, it shows Jake before he decided to use the Dutchman legends to seriously make millions from investors.

The second long manuscript Jake wrote in Prison over a 6 year period. He said he wrote it to keep from going over the edge being locked up 16-23 hours a day. It has little of interest concerning the Dutchman in it, but for the most part was a novel Jake was writing about himself. He was to be the star in this rambling account of his life which he fully knew was fiction but based on some of his real life experiences.

I'm in California and most of my files are now in the SMHS repository at Greg Davis house. I'll be back in Arizona soon to visit with Clay and Greg and will copy both manuscripts for you. I've copied many of my files for others and am always happy to do it when time allows me the luxury.

Matthew

Matthew,

That would be great! I can send a message with my info. Thanks!
Waylon

condoraz

Aug 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Baffle them with Bull S?!t" was the only thing Jake ever said that was the truth. I knew him, and stupidly worked for him on the "mountain" at Squaw Box. We found the Hoya on the cliff top, and below... about 400 feet down the cliff, was where the "cave"/tunnel was presumed to exist. Jake gave an english prof at ASU his original manuscript to edit. When she brought it back to him, I was heading out the gate at his ranch... determined to never see the lying SOB again. Accidentally, she gave it to me... and I kept driving away with it. I have his draft of this "manuscript", know it by heart, but have been privileged to be able to sort out the BS. The only person as far as I am concerned, after working with him the year before he passed, was Jim Hatt. God Bless his soul. I, one of three, spread his ashes at the trail head to the mine which he painstakingly figured out with the stone maps.
PS, I am glad to say that the AZ Attorney General's office, in late 1983, brought me back from out of state to testify against him. When he was confronted, face to face with me in their offices, Jake turned to is attorney, and took a plea agreement. End of story for Jake.

johnmark29020

Oct 8, 2012
oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Baffle them with Bull S?!t" was the only thing Jake ever said that was the truth. I knew him, and stupidly worked for him on the "mountain" at Squaw Box. We found the Hoya on the cliff top, and below... about 400 feet down the cliff, was where the "cave"/tunnel was presumed to exist. Jake gave an english prof at ASU his original manuscript to edit. When she brought it back to him, I was heading out the gate at his ranch... determined to never see the lying SOB again. Accidentally, she gave it to me... and I kept driving away with it. I have his draft of this "manuscript", know it by heart, but have been privileged to be able to sort out the BS. The only person as far as I am concerned, after working with him the year before he passed, was Jim Hatt. God Bless his soul. I, one of three, spread his ashes at the trail head to the mine which he painstakingly figured out with the stone maps.
PS, I am glad to say that the AZ Attorney General's office, in late 1983, brought me back from out of state to testify against him. When he was confronted, face to face with me in their offices, Jake turned to is attorney, and took a plea agreement. End of story for Jake.

Jim Hatt was a fine man. However I am wondering way we should listen to a person. Who admits to stealing jakes property, and whom holds a grudge against him.
If you truly have the original draft. Why dont you publish it.
There are many out here who would like to read it.

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
first water

Paul,

As I recall, the gold bars found just off the road to First Water Trailhead and Bob Brady's gold bars also had the crown marking. Believe it was Desert Dave who told me the story about the First Water gold bars. Used to have a pretty good memory.:dontknow:

Our best to you and the wife,

Joe
joe...it was me that told you the story of the bars recovered on first water road....how you been joe?

hooch

Banned
Aug 4, 2008
Ahwatukee
THE Plot. Between the Ghosts of yester-year returning, silent hunter dudes clawing for hints of what people know, and the been there done that crew, all I needed were some new secret gold bars found along side first water road to keep me reading. I'm getting all misty over here!

OP
OP
cactusjumper

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
joe...it was me that told you the story of the bars recovered on first water road....how you been joe?

Dave,

Hope all is well with you. I'm just trying to stay upright.

I still suspect that those First Water gold bars came from Harry LaFrances' cave. It's one of the stories that still has some pull for me.

Take care,

Joe

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
you could be right joe...i wish i would have listened better or at least taken notes when my friend told me that story..he has been dead for 20 years but his partners might still be alive and may still be in the area...they would be pretty old now but could still be kicking

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread