Treasure Trove Permits

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
If one truly understands/overstands their Constitutional Rights, then they can't do anything of that nature without an injured party claiming wrong doing. Period

Unfortunately, I am writing from first hand experience. I was told in no uncertain terms, that if I were to walk into the Mesa office with a sample of gold (not a prospecting sample) taken from any location in the SWA, without first obtaining a permit, I would "probably be arrested and charges filed".

Even if I were simply trying to prove the location of a cache or mine to obtain that permit.

Which sucks.

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Unfortunately, I am writing from first hand experience. I was told in no uncertain terms, that if I were to walk into the Mesa office with a sample of gold (not a prospecting sample) taken from any location in the SWA, without first obtaining a permit, I would "probably be arrested and charges filed".

Even if I were simply trying to prove the location of a cache or mine to obtain that permit.

Which sucks.

they ,might arrest you but it wont hold up in court and you would have a good basis for a lawsuit

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scott told me years ago that if I find a cave of gold bars, that I should take pictures only and reseal the cave. Pictures would be good enough to get your TT Permit.

Mike

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
they ,might arrest you but it wont hold up in court and you would have a good basis for a lawsuit

Dave,
You may not believe this but I look awful in pink stripes and have NO desire to be passed around like a sock puppet.

I would plead insanity anyway and call you as a witness for the defense.
Hope that made you crack a smile.

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Scott told me years ago that if I find a cave of gold bars, that I should take pictures only and reseal the cave. Pictures would be good enough to get your TT Permit.

Mike

That's the plan, if the opportunity ever presents itself.
: )

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other

Mike

Wouldn't the act of "unsealing" a cave get you in trouble? Did he say anything about that part?

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wouldn't the act of "unsealing" a cave get you in trouble? Did he say anything about that part?

Nah. You are allowed to prospect, use basic hand tools, move rocks around, etc. Just don't take anything but pictures.

Mike

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Nah. You are allowed to prospect, use basic hand tools, move rocks around, etc. Just don't take anything but pictures.

Mike

That is very interesting, thanks. Did he put that in writing to you?

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other

Mike

Ha ha - good one. How did you keep a straight face?

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply Mike. I forget his name because it happened about 4 years ago.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha ha - good one. How did you keep a straight face?

I know, I know. HAHAHA See, when he is wearing his Big Boy Chief Archaeologist Outfit, he can only answer questions as The Chief Archaeologist of Tonto Natl Forest, Not Scott.

Mike

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010

Perhaps, but if that sealed cave turns out to be archeologically important, your in trouble. That's my take on things based on talks with JSW. I think I may have something in writing to that effect.

And if the Forest Service didn't get you, the little people who guard that cave just might.

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Perhaps, but if that sealed cave turns out to be archeologically important, your in trouble. That's my take on things based on talks with JSW. I think I may have something in writing to that effect.

And if the Forest Service didn't get you, the little people who guard that cave just might.

Not at all.

If the FS wanted to charge me for "desecrating" an archaeologically sensitive site by "unsealing" a cave, they would have to prove that I had prior knowledge that the site contained something of importance, and that my actions were deliberate and not accidental.

I, on the other hand, could just claim I leaned against the rock wall and it fell inwards. Or that I was hiking and fell through the roof of a cave :icon_thumright:

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Not at all.

If the FS wanted to charge me for "desecrating" an archaeologically sensitive site by "unsealing" a cave, they would have to prove that I had prior knowledge that the site contained something of importance, and that my actions were deliberate and not accidental.

I, on the other hand, could just claim I leaned against the rock wall and it fell inwards. Or that I was hiking and fell through the roof of a cave :icon_thumright:

Posting advice on how to circumvent federal law is something that makes me a little uncomfortable.
In the SWA, I always try to follow the rules, even the unreasonable ones.

That's not always easy for sure.

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Posting advice on how to circumvent federal law is something that makes me a little uncomfortable.

i thought you've never been in the swa

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other

Is that Danny DeVito?

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other

I am not posting advice; only pointing out that the FS wouldn't be able to make that kind of charge stick unless they could prove that I acted with malicious intent (e.g., catching me red-handed with a chunk of C-4 and a detonator).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread