Dutchman Exploring

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like Mark, I even reviewed his book Gold Prospecting Clubs, Books, Equipment but if you really want to find gold, you can forget about the Superstition Mountains. There is a lot of gold in Arizona, just not in the Superstitions. Good Luck!

OP
OP
C

CJB

Greenie
Dec 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the link buddy. Cool stuff. I'm going to dig through it in more depth later today.
I have a Gold Master detector and would love to get out soon hunting some gold, but this hike will be more to just explore. I want to see some of the sites in the book first hand and maybe take a few photos.
Have you been to the area? Best I can tell I'm looking at about a 7 mile hike from the closest area I can drive to.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the link buddy. Cool stuff. I'm going to dig through it in more depth later today.
I have a Gold Master detector and would love to get out soon hunting some gold, but this hike will be more to just explore. I want to see some of the sites in the book first hand and maybe take a few photos.
Have you been to the area? Best I can tell I'm looking at about a 7 mile hike from the closest area I can drive to.

That's about right. Do NOT go by yourself. If you do, take a lot of water (yes even in the winter), Tell Somebody where you are going, and what time you will call them to tell them you are back and safe (so they can dispatch Search & Rescue if you don't call). Turn your cell phone OFF so the battery doesn't run out searching for a signal. Bottom line, if you get a sprained or broken ankle and you're alone, you will be in serious trouble. Take the area seriously.

OP
OP
C

CJB

Greenie
Dec 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Terry. I definitely don't plan to go alone. Even if water and injuries weren't potential dangers, I think history tells us that the area can be mysteriously unsafe.
I'm also aware that the Peralta maps aren't necessarily for LDM. However, I do think the locations on the heart map match up very closely with some of the early clues given for the location of LDM. Such as Weavers Needle being to the south, and it being within 5 miles starting at the Needle.

Have you been out exploring any time recently?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Terry. I definitely don't plan to go alone. Even if water and injuries weren't potential dangers, I think history tells us that the area can be mysteriously unsafe.
I'm also aware that the Peralta maps aren't necessarily for LDM. However, I do think the locations on the heart map match up very closely with some of the early clues given for the location of LDM. Such as Weavers Needle being to the south, and it being within 5 miles starting at the Needle.

Have you been out exploring any time recently?

Was out there back in March for three-days with an Army buddy. We ran into a few of our friends still searching for a guy that they just found (body) last week. I have put in thousands of miles back in that range since I was 8-years-old. Enjoy the scenery and wildlife, and have a great time.

OP
OP
C

CJB

Greenie
Dec 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What are your thoughts on this?
David Muise: The peralta Stones

Seemed like a stretch at first but if i you look at it in relation to where the upside down horse shoe is, in relation to the same symbol on the heart map, its actually very close.

Dirty Dutchman

Dec 27, 2010
Arizona
Detector(s) used
My Brain
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PLEASE get a SPOT GPS if you go out alone. I go out all the time by myself, but I always make sure I have that SPOT with me. It's not a guarantee, but it's better than nothing. I would also invest in a water filtration system. I prefer the Platypus brand for reliability and its light weight. I had a pump, but the seal broke on one trip, and I had to cut it short.

Good luck,
Travis

OP
OP
C

CJB

Greenie
Dec 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lets plan a hike!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What are your thoughts on this?
David Muise: The peralta Stones

Seemed like a stretch at first but if i you look at it in relation to where the upside down horse shoe is, in relation to the same symbol on the heart map, its actually very close.

Personally, I am not a believer. My opinion is there are two- types of folks that thrive on the myths and legends surrounding the Superstition Mountains: 1) Folks that don't know any better, and 2) Folks that make money off of the first type.

You can go to the Little San Domingo, Weaver and Bradshaw Mountains and a dozen other places in Arizona, stick a shovel in the ground just about anywhere and come up with gold flake - NOT in the Superstitions though. Waltz may have been a thief and murderer, but I don't think he was stupid. If my gold was in place "A" I would tell you I get it from place "B." Why wouldn't Waltz? Why not send them in to some of the most dangerous ground in the Arizona Territory - I would, because I'm an A-hole! And the Peralta Stones? Found by a retired Oregon cop in 1949? Seriously? Come on, if I "found" the "Real" LDM map tomorrow in my Great Aunt's trunk, 50-percent of the folks out there would believe it. Why? Because they WANT to believe it.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G'morning Terry, cuppa coffee? You are correct to a great extent , but unfortunately - or fortunately in my case - once in a while someone does come up with the answer to supposedly false documents, or legends. To repeat the 'time worn' example, look at Troy and Zinbabwe, or La Atocha etc.

As for the stone maps, I still do not believe that they had anything to do with the LDM, but possibly to the land grab plot.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PLEASE get a SPOT GPS if you go out alone. I go out all the time by myself, but I always make sure I have that SPOT with me. It's not a guarantee, but it's better than nothing. I would also invest in a water filtration system. I prefer the Platypus brand for reliability and its light weight. I had a pump, but the seal broke on one trip, and I had to cut it short.

Good luck,
Travis

Travis - that's a really good tip on the Platypus water filtration unit. I am going to be replacing my "hand pump" Katadyn unit with one of those for my next trip. I've had no problems at all with the Katadyn unit, but I like the concept of "keep it simple stupid" and since gravity will always work, I'm going that route.

I still personally have not gotten a SPOT yet - mainly because I have read so many terrible reviews on them over the years. I'm sure there are plenty of people who have had good experiences, but when it comes to an emergency situation, I want something that will work as close to 100% of the time as possible and the number of complaints for the SPOT are just too high for me. Other personal locator devices seem to be quite a bit more $, but there are some really reliable ones out there - I just have to decide on the right one.

OP
OP
C

CJB

Greenie
Dec 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Terry. I'm thinking of getting the nugget detector out soon. Know any good spots for a day trip from Phoenix?

Dirty Dutchman

Dec 27, 2010
Arizona
Detector(s) used
My Brain
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Travis - that's a really good tip on the Platypus water filtration unit. I am going to be replacing my "hand pump" Katadyn unit with one of those for my next trip. I've had no problems at all with the Katadyn unit, but I like the concept of "keep it simple stupid" and since gravity will always work, I'm going that route.

I still personally have not gotten a SPOT yet - mainly because I have read so many terrible reviews on them over the years. I'm sure there are plenty of people who have had good experiences, but when it comes to an emergency situation, I want something that will work as close to 100% of the time as possible and the number of complaints for the SPOT are just too high for me. Other personal locator devices seem to be quite a bit more $, but there are some really reliable ones out there - I just have to decide on the right one.

Paul,

The Platypus is awesome.... Plus I just like saying it.... LOL....

The SPOT is a personal choice. It has a feature that lets you "check in" through email and text and it has only missed ONE of those. That's over 25 trips, pushing the "ok" button about 10 or 12 times a day. I'll take those odds...

Thanks
Travis

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Terry. I'm thinking of getting the nugget detector out soon. Know any good spots for a day trip from Phoenix?

Sure! Give Tom a call at Y-Not, and tell him I sent ya! About $30- a year at Rich Hill - Freaking Bargain!

Y NOT Prospectors Club
PO Box 366
Congress, AZ 85332
Tom & Maggie
928-427-9605

OP
OP
C

CJB

Greenie
Dec 1, 2012
Primary Interest: