Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How in the world would someone steal that? :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
F

FEMF

Sep 10, 2009
Two men could have picked it up, and had to place it in a four wheel drive, the only access that the parasitic *******s could have used.
FEMF

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm, that looks to be WAY too large for just 2 people to lift if I'm seeing the photo as I should. Just my opinion

OP
OP
F

FEMF

Sep 10, 2009
It looks bigger than it is, about two feet by two and a half feet or so, two large men could have carried, or rolled it a few feet to the transport, that they had to have used because of it's original location.
FEMF

vor

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Appears to be the only pictograph in the area. Some kind of marker? Looks like relatively new damage to the lower portion prior to this theft.
V

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really hate to hear stuff like that! Hard to wrap my brain around someone(s) who value things like that pictograph rock for nothing more than it's monetary value. Truly a shame

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope the guy gets caught and does jail time.

OP
OP
F

FEMF

Sep 10, 2009
I really hate to hear stuff like that! Hard to wrap my brain around someone(s) who value things like that pictograph rock for nothing more than it's monetary value. Truly a shame

We are losing our State antiquity by the day hear in Arizona to theft, and even by the State and Cities. Cave Creek Road and SR 101 is a documented Hohokam Fortress that is being destroyed for Granite to decorate front yards, than a dump until filled and then turned in to a golf course, the site has already went through the Courts, or this pictograph of a Cross that vandals scratched up to make it more visible and painted over as graffiti. FEMF

Attachments

• Cross of Santa Fe.jpg
    Cross of Santa Fe.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 223
  • HPIM0659.JPG
    HPIM0659.JPG
    846.7 KB · Views: 275
OP
OP
F

FEMF

Sep 10, 2009
hmmm 2 x 2 1/2 cu ft ?? if Granite, it weighs about 168# per cu ft. that could run to 840 lbs, perhaps as a kiddie I could do it, but not now.

Jose

Hello TTT
That rock is basalt and it is very heavy, but it can be lifted, and was lifted. Scott Wood is aware of the theft! Someone did not just walk up to it and carry it away. The Hohokam Fortress is North of North Cannon High School, South of SR 101, and West of Cave Creek Road, and has been documented. Dr. Todd Boswick told us that the effort to save it failed when the issue went though the State Courts a few years ago. The Cross is not the same site.
FEMF

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G'morning FEMF; Shows that one must have their cuppa coffee to wake up before posting, Gracias. I used Granite as a sample, as you mentioned Basalt can be heavier.

And how is my Friend Scott these days? I thought that he had retired?

I have seen so many similar things, even small towns and missions similarly destroyed. In one case the base stones of a Mission from the 1600's were used to construct a cattle watering trough. Another mission was completely destroyed looking for the bones of a prominent person and his fortune which were supposedly buried in the floor, and on.

Don Jose de La Mancha

OP
OP
F

FEMF

Sep 10, 2009
Hello TTT
Scott Wood has not retired yet. Dr. Boswick at Pueblo Grande did retire, and we all miss him, and his insight and wisdom. FEMF

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
is this the same scott wood. worked for the yavapai tribe as resource officer in the 90's?

also..theft an damage to arizona's pre historic record is criminal.
{withholding rant till these people are arrested}

OP
OP
F

FEMF

Sep 10, 2009
Hello SC
I believe this Scott Wood has worked for the Tonto Forestry for well over twenty years, and was to have retired a few years ago, but he didn't! FEMF

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to tell without seeing the whole path, But looks to me like
a Homemade Sled to Wiggle it on to,
A good Come-along, and a ramp onto the back of a pick-up would have done the trick,
without much energy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread