Superstition Mountain Markers

BrutalBeck

Sep 14, 2012
Wiconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to suggest to everyone who explores or plans to search for the "LDM" to leave visible markers for future explorers. I believe it can and will be found. But, if people don't leave markers of where they have searched. It will be many years before it will be located.
I am currently planning an expedition for 2014 to find TLDM. I have a very good idea of where it is. But, I just don't have the money to get there this year. Next year, I will be the guy who finds it. Why?. . . because it is time for it to be found. I really believe it isn't all that impossible to locate the mine. The hardest part will be keeping the mine a secret until I am done taking my portion of the gold that remains hidden. The only thing I can say about the exact location. Is that it is obvious and has been overlooked.

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
I don't think I would trust markers left by others. Good luck on your search and learn from the mistakes of those who failed. By all means time your search with the weather. Spring and fall is best.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You'll find my intials carved into rocks in many places in the Superstitions (TRS), but there is no "Lost Dutchman's Gold Mine." Have fun, do NOT go into old mineshafts, and for goodness sake take a partner. Leave a return check in time with a friend (when you will call to confirm you are OK), so they can send the Apache Junction Rescue and Recovery Team to retrieve you - or your body if you don't check in. Read up on desert survival, and make sure you have the right gear.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Listen to Mr. Soloman. Number one, take PLENTY of water. There ain't none. Number 2, the old mine shafts are dangerous and I think that Arizona has a law about removing items from them. Number3, please understand that unless you have been on the desert before and have some experience, you are gonna suffer. Been there in the middle of March(90+ hi and 40 low). Summer is real tropical(110+ in the shade, but there ain't any). Number 4, grab a topo of the area and notice how many old mine shafts there are. You will not be the only one out there. It is a federal wilderness area now(I think) and you will have little old ladies from Scottsdale as well as pre-teen Brownies out walking the trails. Number 5, Terry ain't the only person to mark up the rocks. Even I have scratched a couple of arrows when I was there searching for my friend's sheelite mine. You will see all sorts of stuff on the rocks. If you leave more and get caught, you will get to go to federal court and explain your ideas and finally, Number 5, it just ain't there. There really is no LDM.But you know better so have at it. But you better be a big time Boy Scout and be prepared. Trust me, you can die very, very quickly out there...

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
We often set out with a planned route on a hike but wander off in different directions - unknown to the folks back home. Anyone hiking in remote terrain should consider carrying a communication device. Your cell phone may not allow a voice communication in the mountain shadows, but text messages are often possible. A ham radio is a very good choice - the license to operate one is easy to get. There are also various GPS-enabled monitoring devices available - check your hiking gear suppliers.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS

I put these last on my list for a reason. I guess they're better than nothing, but real-user reviews of the product (especially those who have actually pushed the button) are not stellar. At $100/year for the service, it ought to be bullet-proof, IMO. Hopefully the product and the staff who receive and act on the signals have improved.

Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You'll find my intials carved into rocks in many places in the Superstitions (TRS), but there is no "Lost Dutchman's Gold Mine." Have fun, do NOT go into old mineshafts, and for goodness sake take a partner. Leave a return check in time with a friend (when you will call to confirm you are OK), so they can send the Apache Junction Rescue and Recovery Team to retrieve you - or your body if you don't check in. Read up on desert survival, and make sure you have the right gear.

DO NOT MESS UP MY MOUNTAINS WITH GRAFFITI!
sb 1070 should have included tourists.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Being from Sedona, you are the tourist in my book! I grew up hiking the Supes from 1963 - 1973, when I joined the Army and left Phoenix, the first time. When I came home, I worked with my Father as a guide and outfitter. Sedona was "Hippieville" back then - LOL!

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not allowed in the Supers per order of my wife. I get into enough trouble here in New Mexico lol. I have seen the little rock markers, spray painted x's, crosses made of rocks. I actually like the crosses. But we should leave nothing but foot prints my friend, the wilderness belongs to everyone. A simple gps will mark and keep track of hunts and trails and everyone here is at different levels of understanding. No need to re invent the wheel. If you feel the need to dig, I have several spots your welcomed to, and Im sure it is still legal to do so here. Good Luck.

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS

While I agree with what you say up to a point (spray paint), it's also humorously ironic that 'old graffiti', especially 'treasure signs' (ha), are often revered as Cultural Artifacts, left by near demi-gods (the 'Spanish!' for Pete's sake, or better yet, 'The Jesuits', or of course the Natives). Chances are they're just rock carvings done for various reasons, usually boring. Old mines too: they're not the King's sacred treasure chests, they're just old holes in the ground, and dangerous. I'll throw in with Solomon on this issue. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
I put these last on my list for a reason. I guess they're better than nothing, but real-user reviews of the product (especially those who have actually pushed the button) are not stellar. At $100/year for the service, it ought to be bullet-proof, IMO. Hopefully the product and the staff who receive and act on the signals have improved.

Don,

I am in total agreement with you here. Terry, along with everyone else, should curb their ego's while in the mountains. No one really cares that you were in that particular spot. We have left enough marks in the mountains.

Take care,

Joe

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don,

I am in total agreement with you here. Terry, along with everyone else, should curb their ego's while in the mountains. No one really cares that you were in that particular spot. We have left enough marks in the mountains.

Take care,

Joe

So you NEVER carved your intials into a tree or on a rock when you were a kid Joe? God Bless Ya! :thumbsup:

Jan 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
100_2111.JPG

terry s. I am not FROM SEDONA.
did you go to high school in superior?

you just need to be large an in charge.
in your need to be so superior...pun intended, I swore into the army infantry at the federal building in globe, march 1969.

oh...mr Arizona...I notice that you an the other experts on Arizona have never identified my avatar...
'very interesting'

Last edited:

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
So you NEVER carved your intials into a tree or on a rock when you were a kid Joe? God Bless Ya! :thumbsup:

Terry,

Yes, of course I did. However, "When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child: But when I became a man, I put aside childish things."
1 Corinthians 13:11

Take care,

Joe

Jan 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I used to love Sedona...until they invented the vortex's.
that was a big mistake for old Arizona,
many old structures lost to "progress"
a big intake of money an weirdo's for the business people though.

{found an abandoned copper still from the twenties, in secret canyon, left it in place, I do practice what I preach}

Last edited:

Ellie Baba

Mar 7, 2005
Laveen, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
This is my house,

No one will ever know where I have been unless they were with me. I leave it all as I have found it, markers, signs, symbols and the secrets. I GPS the places I have never been. Most of the time I know exactly where I am. I have walked, rode and 4X4ed all over these deserts. Raised in Newhall/Saugus area of Southern California found my first Spanish canon when I was 14 years old. I have been all over Vasquez rocks looking for treasure. Traveled the Mojave, Kern County, Death Valley, I could write another book.
My wife never liked one of my habits; I marked my yard at night... I love to mark where I have been just like a wolf. If you have a very keen sense of smell you may have gotten a wiff of my essence. I have had to kick all of the critters out from their homes to nestle under the creosote bushes to find protection from the sun while I slept. Do not mess up my house! I live here.

Ellie Baba

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread