Clue Concern First Attempt

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
First you did find the mine or after the sketch ?

Marius,

Are you referring to my map when you write "sketch"? If that is so, my map was drawn around 40-years ago. We found the mine in 2004.

My map is not a "sketch". It takes the marks on the Stone Maps and lays them out on a topographic map, matching in form and space.

Joe Ribaudo

Last edited:

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe

Ok . Every artist when paint an abstract art , he believe how the picture represents something known ( maybe a stone map trail in this case ) , but is something different from the reality .

Marius

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Joe

Ok . Every artist when paint an abstract art , he believe how the picture represents something known ( maybe a stone map trail in this case ) , but is something different from the reality .

Marius

Marius,

I am no artist. On the other hand, I have been to the top of Superstition Peak, which is where most of the first map was viewed from. I have also been to the high points where the rest of the map can be seen. I have flown over the mountains a number of times in a helicopter and taken hundreds of pictures.

The reality of the Stone Maps is the actual terrain of the mountains. It's amazing how close the terrain from the top of a mountain matches a topographic map. You should try it sometime.:o On the other hand, if you've never been there, there's not much point.

Joe Ribaudo

Last edited:

rjgould

Jul 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are correct . A map maded by julia would not have value . The " Julia Thomas map " had made by Waltz before he died .

Waltz had a version of Perfil map , and with the clues which gave him a Peralta's relative , he was able to recognized the map . Was enough two clues to recognize the map , and these was :

1 - “ The first gorge on the south side, from the west end of the range, a monumented trail which led them northward over a lofty ridge ; thence
downward past Sombrero Butte into a long canyon running north, and finally to a
tributary canyon very deep and rocky, and densely wooded with a continuous thicket of
scrub oak ”

2- " If you pass three Red Hills you have gone too far "

These two clues leads you in the correct region .

Waltz before died made a sketch which seems like the Perfil map . Look for similarities with the Perfil map

View attachment 824164

Hahaha Not a map - View from right above the mine entrance! :)

View_from_above_mine.jpg

rjgould

Jul 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I have located two seperate holes - one is in plain view & seems to be used. The other a ways away is somewhat hidden and can see through the brushy entrance what appears to be large sticks or logs.

Will head down to check these out as soon as my van sells.
If anyone beats me there, please let me know. :)

OP
OP
S

Somero

Sep 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I have located two seperate holes - one is in plain view & seems to be used. The other a ways away is somewhat hidden and can see through the brushy entrance what appears to be large sticks or logs.

Will head down to check these out as soon as my van sells.
If anyone beats me there, please let me know. :)

I don't think I would sell my van to investigate a couple holes seen in G.E. and travel to the desert in August. Each to their own I guess. :icon_scratch:

rjgould

Jul 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Somero, yeah especially since Joe says he already found it? Hmmm but hey what else is there to do, once down there I could join a few prospecting clubs & search their claims .. maybe get a little something to make up for the trip .. lol

rjgould

Jul 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's said that the real treasure is in the search! And I love hiking new places, been all over Oregon into Cali & a few steps in Washington .. Would be nice to try some place different :) And even though I couldn't take any of it (damn regulations lol) I would be awesome to see this mystical or is it mythical haha golden funnel .. ;)

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
Prospecting clubs are recreational only. Hard to find a spot that pays expenses. I've done it but that is the exception. The area you are looking at has been beat to death over the years. It's in the wilderness area anyway and you can't mine there. If you find a spot in the national forest you need a claim to work it. Go back in those mountains in this weather and a good chance you won't come out.

rjgould

Jul 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the next best thing to 'confirming a legend' is 'becoming part of it' ... "Another dumb@ss dies in the Superstitions, searching for the 'non-existent' Lost Dutchman Mine!" Hahaha :)

Most likely won't be til Sept or even Oct before I can make out that way. Gonna work my way through Southern Oregon and Northern Cali then across Nevada ... So yeah may not get there at all this year. I love the road trips & wandering the wilderness... I hear Arizona would be a good place to spend the winter though :)

(By the way I'm not a stranger to prospecting just treasure & legend hunting)

rjgould

Jul 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup! Dang all roads lead to a well traveled & cleaned out cavern .. :)
End_of_the_trail.jpg

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Somero, yeah especially since Joe says he already found it? Hmmm but hey what else is there to do, once down there I could join a few prospecting clubs & search their claims .. maybe get a little something to make up for the trip .. lol

RJ,

What exactly did I say I had found:dontknow:

Joe Ribaudo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread