CLUES TO THE LOST DUTCMAN MINE

rk85044

Aug 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In regards to Reed....I have a question....
His clue to the Sphynx...where did this come from?
What is its source?

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, Wayne, like it had been said many times before, the only real proof of gold from the Dutchman site, are samples that match known samples. We have reason to believe there is then one location on the Dutchman's, mountain and there may be a second type(makeup) of gold also on site. We may be wrong but will reach these additional areas on our next trip. Also on taking samples, how would you recommend, doing so, considering all the issues in doing so?

Also two additional posts on our site, Red Herring and clue 24. Thanks Jeff.

As I've said before....
If anyone should find themselves in a mine closely fitting the description of the LDM as given by those closest to JW, and they can see where gold ore visually similar or identical to what has been presented and tested as ore from Waltz's candlebox, they should remove a few "grab samples" from any place where it looks like someone had previously removed that ore. That would be where you would have the best chance of having your own samples match the originals in testing. If they did, then there should be no doubt that you have actually found the legendary mine.
Rock and mineral collecting, even within wilderness areas is legal, including taking small specimens (grab samples) obtained with the use of hammer or small hand pick. It is not legal to take larger quantities, begin mining, or to re-open any older pre-existing mine to obtain samples however.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Reed was the only person who used to say " nuggets " . Waltz said " my gold ". Maybe the word " nugget " was used like dude form of expession.

Or maybe REED was just a BS artist trying to insinuate himself into the LDM legend, not knowing that it was a LODE deposit and called it 'nuggets' because he really didn't know anything. Sorry but I would not trust this guy's words at all. You are certainly welcome to trust his word completely if you wish, and since I have not found the LDM I could be 100% wrong. So could REED also be 100% wrong.

:coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other
Or maybe REED was just a BS artist trying to insinuate himself into the LDM legend, not knowing that it was a LODE deposit and called it 'nuggets' because he really didn't know anything. Sorry but I would not trust this guy's words at all. You are certainly welcome to trust his word completely if you wish, and since I have not found the LDM I could be 100% wrong. So could REED also be 100% wrong.

:coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

There might be some truth to Reed, if he said There is a side canyon covered in white rocks, it’s well hidden with brush but it’s near me. Most likely not so covered in brush now. I mean after the fire and all.

babymick1

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
There might be some truth to Reed, if he said There is a side canyon covered in white rocks, it’s well hidden with brush but it’s near me. Most likely not so covered in brush now. I mean after the fire and all.

babymick1

You can read his letters as I believe all are online, if you wish. Trust him at your own risk however.

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2: :coffee2:

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is the REED-Ruth correspondence
http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~gcun...an/ruth/clark/Reed, Letters 1930s (Rev a).pdf

The Eleanor Clark collection
The Eleanor Clark Collection

More of Garry Cundiff's collection
Lost Dutchman Mine Documents

Garry and Carol did a lot of work collecting and making these documents available, we all owe them for their efforts.

:coffee2: :coffee2:

I second that. It is very rare that a LDM researcher would share so much, and Garry is one of the very few ones that have done so to the benefit of the rest of us.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can read his letters as I believe all are online, if you wish. Trust him at your own risk however.

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2: :coffee2:

Roy,

I know you have been busy lately, but when was the last time you actually read the entire Reed Story/letters? I think you discount him at YOUR OWN RISK! HAHAHA

The information I am referring to is not in the Clay Worst Story. You have to read the letters. The letter Reed wrote to Erwin Ruth on 23 February 1932. When Reed's Dad first found the Mexicans working the mine. The head Mexican told Reed there was another mine with a lot of gold to the East. In another spot, Reed described him and his dad going to look for this mine. He said that by looking at the map he was sent (I believe by Erwin Ruth), he believed this "OTHER" rich gold mine was in either "ROGERS" or "ROUGH" Canyon. Does anything in that sentence ring a bell for you? HAHAHA I almost fell out of my chair when I read that. How could John Reed have possibly known about a rich gold mine in Rough or Rogers Canyon in 1932? As far as I know, not one soul went into the "Pit Mine" until the early 1990s!

First Contact:

ReedPit1.JPG

Remembered Search:

ReedPit2.JPG

If Reed was full of crap, it would be an ENORMOUS COINCIDENCE that he perfectly described the Pit Mine in 1932! His father believed it was in the most Easterly of the two (Rough Canyon), which would explain why he never found it!

Mike

dredgernaut

Dec 27, 2012
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
whites mxt, tesoro lobo super trac., monster1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello 393. did you hike all the way through rough canyon. is it passable from top to bottom , is it do-able for 1 guy alone. thanks jeremy

OP
OP
393stroker

393stroker

Jun 27, 2012
HOUSTON
Detector(s) used
Garrett pro-something
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not been to it, I went up the canyon just west of it. Anything is possible. I would advise you not to go there alone. But if one was to go they should be packing some heat and a satellite phone.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Roy,

I know you have been busy lately, but when was the last time you actually read the entire Reed Story/letters? I think you discount him at YOUR OWN RISK! HAHAHA

Three days ago. You are certainly welcome to think what ever you prefer.

Gollum also wrote
The information I am referring to is not in the Clay Worst Story. You have to read the letters. The letter Reed wrote to Erwin Ruth on 23 February 1932. When Reed's Dad first found the Mexicans working the mine. The head Mexican told Reed there was another mine with a lot of gold to the East. In another spot, Reed described him and his dad going to look for this mine. He said that by looking at the map he was sent (I believe by Erwin Ruth), he believed this "OTHER" rich gold mine was in either "ROGERS" or "ROUGH" Canyon. Does anything in that sentence ring a bell for you? HAHAHA I almost fell out of my chair when I read that. How could John Reed have possibly known about a rich gold mine in Rough or Rogers Canyon in 1932? As far as I know, not one soul went into the "Pit Mine" until the early 1990s!

Yeah how on Earth could he have ever possibly have learned of that "OTHER" mine, when the numerous silver mines (including the finding of pockets of gold in several) only was announced to the public in the late 1870s and early 1880s, only fifty years before REED wrote those letters! Amazing prescient knowledge! Hahaha! Not! Still waiting on the rich gold mine to be discovered in ROUGH canyon though.

Gollum also wrote
First Contact:

View attachment 1736725

Remembered Search:

View attachment 1736726

If Reed was full of crap, it would be an ENORMOUS COINCIDENCE that he perfectly described the Pit Mine in 1932! His father believed it was in the most Easterly of the two (Rough Canyon), which would explain why he never found it!

Yes it would indeed be amazing if the mines in Rogers canyon were totally unknown prior to 1932! Amazing! Hahaha!

Let me know when you find the LDM using REED's info, just post a few photos of the "NUGGETS" you recover from it along with the mine on the slope and that will do! Hahaha!

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2:

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First of all, Reed wrote in the letter how his father have seen few Mexicans working " a mine " and not " the mine ". If Reed was referring the LDM he would wrote " the mine " because he was writing and giving info about the the iclined LDM shaft. So , his father has seen the Mexicans working a different mine than the LDM.
In any case, nobody could see someone working the LDM from any trail or passing by IMHO.
There is a gold mine which someone could see somebody working it by passing on the trail which is close and I believe Reed's father was talking about this mine. When the older Mexican told Reed's father about rich outcrops in a rough canyon few miles east, was talking about the LDM, and Reed's father just went there and found it. And this occured before John Reed even was born. Reed never mentioned how his father found the LDM but he has remembered only the Mexican story told by his father around a campfire at the LDM site. Maybe Reed's father went in Rogers Canyon because he has heard about mines which have been operated there and was looking for a strike on his own.
Is impossible to find the LDM by search or luck but only if someone show you the place or give you details about how to find it.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread