Hey Joe ...

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
cactusjumper, with 4,000 posts on this site and god knows how many more on the other LDM-based forums - primarily dealing with the 'Lost Dutchman Mine' and 'Peralta Stones' - I'm sure you've developed a working model of what all the hoopla boils down to. With 50 years on the case and a family history stomping around in the Superstitions, you are at least a contender for the position of consigliere when it comes to these legends. Or at least that's the image you foster.

How about a one-page, black-and-white synopsis of your current beliefs concerning the LDM and its original protagonists? When examining the birth of this legend, I for one don't find enough to warrant a serious commitment to physically pursue it since it fails my 'degree of separation' criteria. I do understand your tendency of using 'privileged secrets' to tantalize the readers - it's human nature, but, please, no teasers here - just your educated opinion about what the score really is.

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
cactusjumper, with 4,000 posts on this site and god knows how many more on the other LDM-based forums - primarily dealing with the 'Lost Dutchman Mine' and 'Peralta Stones' - I'm sure you've developed a working model of what all the hoopla boils down to. With 50 years on the case and a family history stomping around in the Superstitions, you are at least a contender for the position of consigliere when it comes to these legends. Or at least that's the image you foster.

How about a one-page, black-and-white synopsis of your current beliefs concerning the LDM and its original protagonists? When examining the birth of this legend, I for one don't find enough to warrant a serious commitment to physically pursue it since it fails my 'degree of separation' criteria. I do understand your tendency of using 'privileged secrets' to tantalize the readers - it's human nature, but, please, no teasers here - just your educated opinion about what the score really is.

Springfield,

I appreciate your attention to my past, as it concerns the LDM, but I have no secrets to divulge. My conclusions on the LDM have not changed a lot and everything I have discovered has been posted on four different sites which contain LDM forums over the years, including this one. I have never searched for the LDM on my own, although I have been with others in their searches. That started when I was 13-years old, with my Uncle Chuck and my dad.

Despite that, I have studied everything I could lay my hands on concerning the alleged Waltz mine, as well as hearing the stories from countless old timers and friends. Believe I know the legends of the Supe's pretty well but others will disagree.......I'm sure. My guess is probably as good (at least) as most others.:dontknow:

I believe the LDM (really a cache) was found a number of years ago above Rodger's Spring and cleaned out. The story and pictures of that can be found on Ron Feldman's old forum:
http://www.thelostdutchmangoldmine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1122

Take care,

Joe

Last edited:

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe,

I'm new to this site, and have followed your post on several threads, and thoughly enjoyed the learning experience. While I live in the Northeast, your region has always been of interest. The history and legends of the region are monumental, and more than interesting. I would also be very interested in any synopsis of your knowledge, and your stories. Cactus, thank you for all I've been able to learn.......Gary

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other

Springfield,

I appreciate your attention to my past, as it concerns the LDM, but I have no secrets to divulge. My conclusions on the LDM have not changed a lot and everything I have discovered has been posted on four different sites which contain LDM forums over the years, including this one. I have never searched for the LDM on my own, although I have been with others in their searches. That started when I was 13-years old, with my Uncle Chuck and my dad.

Despite that, I have studied everything I could lay my hands on concerning the alleged Waltz mine, as well as hearing the stories from countless old timers and friends. Believe I know the legends of the Supe's pretty well but others will disagree.......I'm sure. My guess is probably as good (at least) as most others.:dontknow:

I believe the LDM (really a cache) was found a number of years ago above Rodger's Spring and cleaned out. The story and pictures of that can be found on Ron Feldman's old forum:
Lost Dutchman Gold Mine - Arizona Superstition Mountain Wilderness - Gold Mining ? View topic - LOST OR.....FOUND?

Take care,

Joe

Joe, if you believe it was a cache of gold ore' then where do you believe the gold came from.

Wrmickel1

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Joe,

I'm new to this site, and have followed your post on several threads, and thoughly enjoyed the learning experience. While I live in the Northeast, your region has always been of interest. The history and legends of the region are monumental, and more than interesting. I would also be very interested in any synopsis of your knowledge, and your stories. Cactus, thank you for all I've been able to learn.......Gary

Gary,

Many thanks for the kind words. There are many, many Dutch Hunter's who put my meager knowledge to shame. Much of what I post comes from their shared knowledge. I have never been comfortable with a topic that includes my name. I suppose that's because it has always been done in a derogatory manner.

That being said, I have told my stories many times over. Except for Peter's old forum and the posts that Jim Hatt found objectionable, they are still available on the other sites.

Springfield,

I don't try to foster any image. While not always right, I have conviction in what I say and write. At my age and with my memory, that often gets me in trouble. Doubt I can change at this late date.

Take care,

Joe

Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't know if there is a lost Dutchman mine...
the only Dutchman to appear in the historical record of Arizona, is Al Sieber, who was refered to as the Dutchman...
this quietly and behind his back...many people are known to have wet their britches when the Dutchman showed up followed by 20 or 30 apache with weapons...
while many people have stated waltz was in the news here an there...I haven't seen one original document to support this claim...{please don't rant...}
there were two soldiers murdered...out of globe...up by campaign creek...rather interesting story...if true...
also...my own research, completed different from those dutch hunters...has left me with a view, that somewhat near 50 years of Arizona history was expunged from the records...convenient floods, fires and mishandling of documents, are listed as why this critical information to the growth of the new mexico-arizona territories, is gone...
unlike many, I have spent multiple hours in archives across the state...Bisbee, Prescott, flagstaff...chasing mining an native history...{ oops, forgot jerome}

I also have become aware that an educated opinion is often at odds with what people believe.

Last edited:

Mc4500

Mar 7, 2013
Arizona
I have been out searching an area a hand full of times in the recent months, and I believe I have some great theories and pictures to prove it!
I have tried to sit down with someone from Tonto national forest but have had no luck!
So far I have not stuck my head into a cave- mainly because I was by myself! I was out yesterday, and saw someone moving around in the distance ( so I think) and if so, someone else has definitely found it!
Until I see for myself the gold vein, or a stash I won't claim to have found anything, or believe anyone else has.

I've tried contacting an attorney, but again I have not had much luck!
Lets say I have something, or someone else does, does anyone know what to do then?

Jan 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
four corner markers...center between southern two markers, a fifth marker, name and what minerals you claim in what area...then go to county records, do the dance they describe...
go dig...carry hot rocks out under wicked sun...crush rocks...sweat some more...ect.

Mc4500

Mar 7, 2013
Arizona
Lol! Ha ha ha! You nailed that part to the T! However what happens if its on Tonto National Forest Land? I have all of the info to file on mining claim, but if its on federal land manage by Tonto National ForestLand I can't claim.

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
MC4500,

For a personal contact, try:

J. Scott Wood
Forest Archaeologist / Heritage Program Manager
Tonto National Forest
2324 E. McDowell Road, Phoenix, AZ 85006
voice: (602) 225-5231 FAX: (602) 225-5295
[email protected]

I believe National Forest is different than Wilderness Area. I would look first, take a small sample and see what it's worth.

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo

Jan 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
is scott a tall, lanky, wire haired hippy type? used to work for the yavapai tribe in prescott as cultural preservation officer?

sorry..i have asked that question before...never mind...

Last edited:

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
I actually have a meeting with Scott next week. I've talked to him a couple of times.

Mc.,

When you see Scott, tell him Joe Ribaudo says hello. You will find him to be a very reasonable man, as long as crazy treasure stories are not part of your conversation. He must have heard a million such tales.:BangHead:

Take care,

Joe

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
is scott a tall, lanky, wire haired hippy type? used to work for the yavapai tribe in prescott as cultural preservation officer?

sorry..i have asked that question before...never mind...

Donald,

I remember that you did ask about Scott before. Here is a picture of him that can be found online:

Is that the same guy?:dontknow:

Take care,

Joe

Mc4500

Mar 7, 2013
Arizona
I will tell him hi! I remember reading on desert USA forum at one pointme that there is supposed to be a red and white hole in the canyon of the Dutch's mine. Has anybody else heard of that?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread