Will The Real Dutchman Please Stand Up

Somero

Sep 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a thought, why don't you all go and dig him up and examine the remains so you can go debate that for the next few years. Then go dig up Dutch Jake in Walnut Canyon and continue the debate. :censored: I swear some of this nit-picky agnostic :censored: is maddening.

Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
here is a photograph of the most notable "Dutchman" in territorial Arizona. this Dutchman had claims in the pinto creek area of the superstitions.

alsieber1.jpg

http://www.paysonroundup.com/news/2012/apr/04/wild-west-rim-country/?print

{nothing like facts to stop a conversation}

Last edited:
OP
OP
Not Peralta

Not Peralta

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so your saying al sieber is the real Dutchman, that has a good ring to it,so the legend of the Dutchman gets thicker?,(the lost al sieber Dutchman mine ) :director::cat:

Jan 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
no...i am saying that this man, al sieber, was in fact refered to as the dutchman...by people who didn't know him, behind his back...
he also did have mining claims all over arizona rim country...looking for gold...one of the first white men to claim up in jerome...one of the first white men to claim out in pinto creek...
he also was one of the most proficent outdoorsmen of the territorial days in the southwest...tale of his making from hells canyon in the big chino area, to stoneman lake in one day, on foot, by traversing the canyonlands through the red rock country... hunting apaches, with apaches.

OP
OP
Not Peralta

Not Peralta

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
secretcanyon, very nice.np:cat:

Dreadnox

Jul 28, 2013
Austin Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Metadyne magnet stick, Garretts pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been reading all these dif posts and threads about this Dutchman mine fantasy and have decided that the first one of you guys to go bring back a back pack full of Dutchman gold shall be crowned the one that was right. LOL you guys are halarious! Best of luck to each of you in this mistery. Oh and please keep it going its passing my time on the clock in total enjoyment.

OP
OP
Not Peralta

Not Peralta

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been reading all these dif posts and threads about this Dutchman mine fantasy and have decided that the first one of you guys to go bring back a back pack full of Dutchman gold shall be crowned the one that was right. LOL you guys are halarious! Best of luck to each of you in this mistery. Oh and please keep it going its passing my time on the clock in total enjoyment.

I agree 100%, np

hooch

Banned
Aug 4, 2008
Ahwatukee
Haha this was my favorite part of his memoirs and still holds true today " I cared but little for an Indian. I looked upon them as upon wild animals. They are wild human beings, and when hostile are but little better than a wolf or bear. Killing makes good Indians of them. "

Jan 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Haha this was my favorite part of his memoirs and still holds true today " I cared but little for an Indian. I looked upon them as upon wild animals. They are wild human beings, and when hostile are but little better than a wolf or bear. Killing makes good Indians of them. "

whom are you referring too?

hooch

Banned
Aug 4, 2008
Ahwatukee
Then who's the author is it Hardy or Wattron? It sounds like Wattron recounting his memoirs of Hardy and his road to Prescott?

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Then who's the author is it Hardy or Wattron? It sounds like Wattron recounting his memoirs of Hardy and his road to Prescott?

Perhaps you should read it again. I believe Wattron makes it pretty plain.

It all starts with this:

F. J. Wattron, at one time sheriff of Navajo County, has the following to say about Captain Hardy:

“Captain Hardy was an old settler upon the Colorado above Fort Mohave at Hardyville. He ran a ferry and a store at that place, also a toll road from Hardyville to Prescott. All parties travelling on the road had to pay Hardy in proportion to the size of their outfit. The repairs on the road were kept up by Hardy walking
along and leading his horse and kicking out such rocks as he could with a pair of number eleven boots. Hardy's stock consisted of flour, $20 per hundredweight; bacon, 50c per pound; coffee, 50c per pound; sugar, three pounds for a dollar; soldier's boots, $10 per pair; overalls, $3 per pair, cash down, and no kicking. His ferry was also a paying business, but if you had no money, he would give you what you wanted out of the store, and cross you over the river for nothing.”

Wattron's comments are followed by this:

The “Mohave County Miner,” of December 8th, 1888, contains the following letter written by Captain Hardy, which is perhaps as good a statement of conditions in Arizona during the period of which we are writing, as could be found:

[I was several times within the ten years from 1864 to 1874 in tight places among Indians, but got out. I never feared but that an Indian would run or get behind a shelter to get an advantage. When I had the advantage, I cared but little for an Indian. I looked upon them as upon wild animals. They are wild human beings, and when hostile are but little better than a wolf or bear. Killing makes good Indians of them.]

Joe Ribaudo

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions