Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a better photo of the finished knife. He made a couple sheath's for it as well and told me he made it to be used, but I just don't have the heart to take a beautiful piece of art like that into the field where I know it'll get nicked and scratched. It sits in that little "stand" I made out of a couple antlers I found out near Tortilla Mt. that spring.

knife.JPG

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Paul,

Sorry about the passing of your friend.

Ashton- is that the same Ashton that used to post quite often on the DesertUSA website? That was some pretty interesting and intelligent back and forth between Jim, Ashton, Travis, and you. Easily one of the best, and truly serious and intelligent discussion about the LDM. I've never seen anything like it since.

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Paul,

Sorry about the passing of your friend.

Ashton- is that the same Ashton that used to post quite often on the DesertUSA website? That was some pretty interesting and intelligent back and forth between Jim, Ashton, Travis, and you. Easily one of the best, and truly serious and intelligent discussion about the LDM. I've never seen anything like it since.

Yes, that's the same Ashton Page. He gave me his real name on the way out of Whiskey Springs, but I've forgotten it now. Because of his exposure to toxic chemicals over the years where he worked, he developed a tumor somewhere behind his nasal cavity that I believe they removed. He suffered from bloody noses a lot and had some vision issues - one I recall that his tear ducts no longer worked so he had to constantly use eye drops and wear sunglasses during the day.

He did have some good questions and observations on DUSA and he really got obsesses with solving the "puzzle" of the Peralta Stones. I've never been all that interested in them, so I sort of glaze over after a few minutes of discussion, but his enthusiasm was contagious and he was a good person. I don't remember who it was that told me he passed away. We lost touch shortly after 2013 and I never heard from him again.

Paul

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As soon as I saw the Pith Helmet, I knew who he was. If I recall correctly, he had suffered from a bad bout of cancer before attending a Rendezvous a few years ago. Did I get that right? Sad to hear of his passing. Seemed like a nice guy.

Mike

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found myself thinking about Tim Hancock today while I was re-arranging some of my things and moved the knife he made for me into a new display area.

Tim packed Ashton Page and I into Whiskey Springs in 2013 as Ashton felt certain he knew where the Peralta Maps pointed to. Ashton (not his real name) was a really nice enthusiastic young guy with some serious health problems related to years working with hazardous chemicals. Neither Tim nor I thought there was much to Ashton's ideas, but Tim agreed to pack him in cause he just wanted to get out there and I wanted to tag along if for no other reason than to help Ashton make it out there and see a part of the Superstitions I hadn't been to yet.

We had a great time and I got to know Tim a little bit. He was starting to have issues with Parkinson's Disease and had to take medication along the way to keep from shaking badly. He told us a bunch of good "cowboy" stories about his life and when we got back out to his place in Scottsdale he showed us his knife making workshop. He was truly an artist and a worldwide known knife maker.

In 2016/2017 I asked him if he would be willing to make a knife for me - a smaller style Bowie knife with a damascus blade and ironwood handle. Parkinson's was really starting to affect him sadly and he was beginning the process of passing along some of his tools and equipment to someone he had been mentoring. Despite that, he graciously agreed to make the knife for me and I picked it up in the spring of 2017. Tim's health was deteriorating last I saw him, but his mind and wit were still sharp - he was just physically having a tough time. He was investigating stem cell research to help with his disease and was hoping to try anything to alleviate it. He gave me a "friends" discount on the knife and I wished him the best.

Doing a quick search on the internet just now I discovered that Tim passed away last July (2019). It's always sad when someone passes away young, but in this case especially so because the disease robbed his last couple years of one of his passions. Sad to see another person associated with the Lost Dutchman pass away as the years go by. We lost a real "cowboy character" and an expert artist.

The first photo is of the knife he made for me and the second is of Ashton Page (doing his impression of Walt Gassler in his pith helmet) and Tim sitting behind him explaining something about the area. I'm not certain, but I believe Ashton Page has also passed on due to health issues.

https://everloved.com/life-of/timothy-hancock/obituary/

View attachment 1832497

View attachment 1832498

My condolences to the family, and friends of those two men. Glad to know that "Ashton" was able to go for a look and see.

Homar

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Cactusjumper Joe Ribaudo passed away Friday afternoon. He died peacefully at home surrounded by his friends and family. Joe was one of my closest friends and will be sorely missed. I miss him already.
Roy

393stroker

Jun 27, 2012
HOUSTON
Detector(s) used
Garrett pro-something
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn; I`m saddened to hear of Joe`s passing. I will miss him too.:icon_salut:

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I knew he was hurt pretty bad a while back. Even though Joe and I argued on many occasions I respected his tenacity, candor, and knowledge. His threads are what started huge debates on the Dutchman Forums.
Even though I never met the man in person I feel like I knew him well.
I think I speak for many on here when I say there will be a large hole in that Cactus Heart.
He's moved on to that Dutch Hunter retreat in the sky.
You will be missed by all old buddy,

Travel well.

Rest in Peace.

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My condolences to all his family, and freinds. Thank you for your service Joe, and thanks for keeping the LDM legend alive.

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
It is not hyberbole to say that the Dutch Hunting community has lost a major figure, forums-wise and otherwise, with the passing of Joe Ribaudo. I personally never got a chance to meet him in person and had been hoping to do so. He was a major presence on the forums having anything to do with the Superstitions, and was involved in the best discussions about the Lost Dutchmen with the towering giants of LDM/SM/Superstitions researchers, which included Peter, Roger, Garry, Mathew, Larry, Steve, Thomas G., and Wayne S. (to name a few).

Without him, most of the greatest debates, discussions, would not have happened on these forums, especially the legendary duel that he had with (mostly) Roy, Mike (Gollum), and I on the Jesuit treasure (are they real or not?) thread. Very unlike when arguing with a troll, Joe really knew what he was talking about, was very sharp, and very well read. He forced you to defend yourself, forced you to cite your information, and you could not deceive him because chances were that he had read the book. He was the archetypal foil whose main talent was bringing a great deal of information out of posters by provoking them, mostly to defend the provenance of their information. He would question sources all the time then cast doubts on their veracity, but I believe that was his method of bringing information out of people and onto the forums, and for that , the forums are much better off than if he were not involved.

In that way, he made all of us better, more informed, and more true to our own researches. I know that because of him, I became much better versed in early Jesuit history. He was a major foil for me and I hated when he one-upped me, caught an error on my part, or scolded me for failing to provide citation, but without that I would not have been forced to become very true to my own research, and that has made all the difference in the world, and has brought me to where I am at this point. And for that, I take off my hat to you, Mr. Joe Ribaudo. May you rest in peace.

Arthur

txtea

Nov 16, 2009
Sad news.
I met Joe only once in 2011 at the Dutch Hunters Rendezvous. He and Carolyn didn't know me from squat, but they welcomed and treated me like a good friend. I wish I knew him better.
Thank you Joe, for your service, the stories, discussions, and dedication you had helping put together the Rendezvous. Won't be the same with him gone. Have a craving for his stew this morning.
R.I.P. my friend.

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
My condolences to his family and friends. He was a well-experienced and well-informed person.

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
the first time i met joe was when he took me and a few others over to tracy hawkins to meet him...that was about 15 years ago...about the time joe organized the first rendezvous...we all spent the day together..i liked joe right off the bat and never had any problems with him...he was a good man and a good american...i will miss him

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sad to hear of Joe passing. I have had already missed him and his posts from a while in this forum, but from now the hope he would return again, faded like a falling star.
My deepest condolences to his family and friends.

Last edited:

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
To what Deducer wrote, amen and agreed the Dutch hunting community has lost a great one. I think he would be glad to know that the annual rendezvous he founded will live on after him, and only Joe could have gotten it started in my opinion. I know that I very much enjoyed our spirited debates here and in person which never degraded into name calling and to paraphrase Arthur, steel sharpens steel, our discussions certainly benefited me in teaching me to check sources and be able to cite them. Joe and Carolyn were the most genial hosts one could hope for and always ready to help. He was very knowledgeable and a careful researcher, I miss his participation in our debates. I know we have been missing his posts here for a while which was due to his health failing but always hoped he would turn the corner and be back to join in another lively discussion. He was a true friend and one of the very few that I trusted implicitly.

Thank you all for the kind words and wishes on behalf of Joe and his family. They are not having any services due to the Covid restrictions.
Roy

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
To what Deducer wrote, amen and agreed the Dutch hunting community has lost a great one. I think he would be glad to know that the annual rendezvous he founded will live on after him, and only Joe could have gotten it started in my opinion. I know that I very much enjoyed our spirited debates here and in person which never degraded into name calling and to paraphrase Arthur, steel sharpens steel, our discussions certainly benefited me in teaching me to check sources and be able to cite them. Joe and Carolyn were the most genial hosts one could hope for and always ready to help. He was very knowledgeable and a careful researcher, I miss his participation in our debates. I know we have been missing his posts here for a while which was due to his health failing but always hoped he would turn the corner and be back to join in another lively discussion. He was a true friend and one of the very few that I trusted implicitly.

Thank you all for the kind words and wishes on behalf of Joe and his family. They are not having any services due to the Covid restrictions.
Roy
joe could be a little bit abrasive on the forum but in person he was a true gentleman and a pleasure to be around...

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other
Awe Peace Joe,

Truely a mentor to many, but mostly to me I think.
Aways Answered my questions and told me the original
search area before it became corrupted. A great source of information
to share.

Peace Joe

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't visit the forums more than a couple times a year now, but heard yesterday of Joe's passing and wanted to pay my respects at a place Joe spent a lot of time at - here on the forums talking about something he had a passion for. I'm awfully sorry to hear that he passed on - my condolences to Carolyn and his family. I got interested in the Superstitions and LDM history probably 20 or so years ago now on the old Feldman forum and had some good discussions there early on. At one point I had some questions to ask Joe and after sharing e-mails we communicated a lot - he invited me to the 2nd or 3rd Rendezvous at the Don's Camp and had he not done so I wouldn't have met him or so many other interesting folks over the years.

Joe had his rough spots and was stubborn at times, but he knew an awful lot and what he didn't know he had ways of finding out. He was a wealth of information and good guy to know. One of the quotes he used often was "trust but verify" when it came to information - those are good words to live by and as others have said, he made those of us who enjoy digging into past history for facts work harder.

Godspeed Joe - we'll see you again one of these days.

OldManOfTheRiver

Jun 15, 2018
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I hate to hear this. It seems every late summer I log onto here, another of the greats are gone too soon. I've read every word probably he ever wrote and wish I had gotten to meet him. My condolences to his family.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread