Another Dutch Hunter Crosses Over

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Joe,
These Duch chasers, like yourself and a few others, are a special type, I have met few I didn't like,and most I liked a lot.
I would very much have liked to have known Chuck. I feel I will mourn his passage as though I did.

There is one who did pass this month in 1989. He lived in Mesa AZ and was my mentor, my good friend and my partner.
I didn't meet him right off the way some folks meet friends like this.
I just happened to go to school with his kid.
when school was over we kids went into the service.
When service was over for me I came home to find out that my friend was staying in. And he did for almost 40 years.
His Dad, Glen Sweigart and I became friends and I went with him on many of his hunts, we cased the signs that took me from a hunting camp I had been in when I was 16 where a date of 1695 was chiseled into a stone face.

I learned that Glenn had spent the last two years of WWII as a prisoner of war in the Nuremberg corridor, many comment to me I think like he did, I take that as the highest of compliments, He was a very savvy individual.

He loved the out doors and he loved the Spanish trails. He loved a good mystery and he had one of the biggest hearts in a small guy I have ever encountered.
There are times in the year that bring back sweet memories for everyone, this month does it for me.

I will always miss my friend Glenn.
I think he still walks with me.
I know he walks in my heart.

Thom
Old Dog

OP
OP
cactusjumper

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Tubecity,

My thanks for the kind words, but I began the post about Chuck Crawford with this:

"I never met Chuck, but it seems to me that we are all brothers in the fraternity of the Superstitions. I have gleaned a little information about the man and will post it in the hopes that others, who may have known him, will add a little personal history."

Despite that, your thoughts are well received.

Thank you,

Joe Ribaudo

OP
OP
cactusjumper

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Thom,

I know the feeling well. It's been many, many years since my Uncle Chuck passed away, and yet after a trip into the mountains around 2003, I got to thinking about our trips and the good times I had with him.....and had to pull off the road.

Those kind of memories will never die, until you take your last breath. Not sure that will take them away either.

Glen's name rings a bell with me. Considering the number of bells that are ringing on a regular basis, that's saying something. :) It would not surprise me if he and my uncle knew each other.

Remembering is what this topic is all about.

My thanks,

Joe

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Thanks Joe,

I'm sure it's just that time of year.
I seem to get stuff in my eye a lot, little things.

But you know,
I wouldn't have missed a second of it... not for the world.
I'm not any richer for the experience, but...
I have been enriched by it ... beyond measure.

I can remember a walk that started in Flagstaff, and I am still following that trail.
I want to finish it as Glen and I started it together.
Every time I go out I feel his presence, coaching, coaxing, and telling me "You missed something."

I guess all we can do as veterans of the hobby is to use what they keep giving us, and give the younger generation as much of a chance as we had.
OH yes, we had to work for it. without a doubt.
And the experience is more valuable than money can buy. But when the new comer needs a hand up, I think we honor the ones who taught us so well. By coaching, coaxing, and telling them.... Hey you missed something. And sharing all those old memories with the ones who will in time take our place....

Thanks for the thread and the time.
and as always for your kind words.

Thom

OP
OP
cactusjumper

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Thom,

Seems like( should have put....many of) the new kids on the block already know everything. Kind of spooky, ya know?

Joe

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cactusjumper said:
Thom,

Seems like the new kids on the block already know everything. Kind of spooky, ya know?

Joe

Not all of us "new guys on the block" make those claims :)

OP
OP
cactusjumper

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Cubfan,

I really misspoke/miswrote there. :-[ I need a little cold water thrown in my face now and again, and I thank you for the service. :)

You sir are one of a disappearing breed. Many of the newbies come on claiming to know nothing one day, and giving lessons and guided tours the next.

Good luck and good hunting,

Joe

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cactusjumper said:
Cubfan,

I really misspoke/miswrote there. :-[ I need a little cold water thrown in my face now and again, and I thank you for the service. :)

You sir are one of a disappearing breed. Many of the newbies come on claiming to know nothing one day, and giving lessons and guided tours the next.

Good luck and good hunting,

Joe

LOL - just ribbing you CJ :)

I was raised to have the utmost respect for my elders - be that elders "in age" or "in experience."

It's unfortunate however that up until my mid 30's or so, I may have respected my elders but I didn't pay nearly as much attention as I should have. I dearly regret not spending more time really talking to my great great aunt and uncle before they passed away - they came over directly from Germany many years ago and lived in what I found out later was one of the first homes built in the area (not sure of the data, but it was built of stone and the walls had to be at least 1.5-2 feet thick).

I'm sure there was alot of wisdom and history that I missed out on by not spending more quality time with them than I did.

Sorry for the little "aside story" - as I'm getting older I find myself getting more and more thoughtful and introspective.

If there's one thing I could convince young kids of, it's that there is a vast wealth of experience and practical knowledge that disappears as each generation passes on - we owe it to ourselves and our kids to save as much of that as we can!

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Joe,

I'm sure you have seen the instant experts,
the ones who know just enough to really get hurt.
Those are the ones I think you spoke of.

Then there are guys like Djui5 and AZstomper and Cubfan
This type hunter will find the grail and end up saving lives.
These are the best legacy old guys like us can leave.
I'm not sorry i met these guys.

Thom

OP
OP
cactusjumper

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Thom,

"Then there are guys like Djui5 and AZstomper and Cubfan
I'm not sorry i met these guys."

Don't believe anyone could have said it better. As far as I know, I have only met Randy, and he seems to fit your profile.....very well. Tried to coax him into our Bully Bueno trip but, as usual, life/job got in the way of our hobbies. :)

As for being "counted out", I no longer have control over the horses, so I am staying in the messenger's seat. Just along for the ride, but keeping an eye on the strongbox.

Take care,

Joe

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Joe,
I have met these three here on TN,
AZstomper is a great guy , I have met and I do hunt with regularly.
He is the only one I can say I have met face to face.

Over the years I have learned to read a person in the writing they do.
You can hide things for a while but not for long.
all of these are as straight out with you and I as we are with each other,
No reason to hide anything, I admire that in anyone,

I like also that they come here with no hidden agenda no probing or prying.

These guys will find good things.

as far as the horses go I find myself on the ground walking a lot more than I used to.
I still walk the canyons and poke into the caves and make like a goat in the rocks.
Not as quickly as when I was younger but I still do it. If for no other reason than to sit and look out at what God put there for me to see.

Thom

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old Dog said:
Joe,

I'm sure you have seen the instant experts,
the ones who know just enough to really get hurt.
Those are the ones I think you spoke of.

Then there are guys like Djui5 and AZstomper and Cubfan
I'm not sorry i met these guys.

Thom

I appreciate the compliment, but I'm nowhere near the class of Djui5 or AZstomper. I'm way too early in the stages of the LDM saga to be compared with anyone who's really hunting it. I'm getting engrossed in the history of it with the hopes that someday perhaps I'll actually take the time to do some true hunting.

OP
OP
cactusjumper

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Cubfan,

You are doing just fine. It's the desire to learn, and the heart to keep things honest that really counts.

Take care,

Joe

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Cubfan,

Joe has it right,
Take your time and sort the facts,
you will learn to read a person presented and the person underneath by how facts and words are used, and expressed.
The truth is as hard to find in a legend of this size, And by it's own nature will try to deceive you. It has grown over the years and as Joe will attest there are new signs clues and even spokes of this wheel that have come up in the last 10 years that belong only to the legend and not the truth.

Learn to know when to do the footwork and when to stay behind. there are always more important things to chase than a blind clue with no substance.

I no longer chase the Dutch. But I am still one to follow the legend and i try to help keep the truth forefront. as dose our good friend Joe. Take the advice of those who do know the legend. Joe and Tayopa are among the best friends in your chosen venture that it may be possible to find.

As always,
Thom
OD

OP
OP
cactusjumper

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
All,

I recently received news of the passing of another member of our community:

"The reason for this email is to let you know about the passing of an old Dutch hunter. The lady that passed away was Nellie Shell. She died on Monday, November 5, 2007. You might be familiar with the book she wrote about Superstition Mountain titled Treasure Mountain. Basically the book was a children book about the Superstition Mountains and old prospector she met. Nellie began her exploration of the mountain in the early 1960's. She knew an old prospector named Clary who had a camp in Needle Canyon below Al Morrow in late forties and early fifties. I think old Clary was in Needle Canyon before Morrow."

"Memorial Services will be held for Nellie Monday, November 12, 2007, 7:00 PM at the Word of Grace Church, 655 E. University, Mesa, Arizona."

It may be that some of you knew her, and would like to attend the services tomorrow.

Godspeed Nellie.

Joe Ribaudo

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Joe,

Is there a link for an online guest book that those of us too far away could sign?

If not My condolences to her family and friends.

only met her once, she was nice to visit with, and personable to all who didn't condescend.

Thom

OP
OP
cactusjumper

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
All,

I never met Helen Corbin, but would have loved to have known her. I assume that many of you have read her books.

Here are a few of the things that have been written, just tonight:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gentlemen: I have the sad task of announcing the passing of Helen Corbin this Saturday. It appears she had a heartattack. The funeral will be held in Phoenix later this week. The papers will carry an obituary providing additional information. I will pass on the funeral information when I hear from Bob.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is sad news. Helen was a significant figure in recording and preserving much of the history and lore of not only the Mountains, but also Alaska. She was also a well-known public speaker in these and other areas. We should all recognize her accomplishments.

Just this last June I had the privilege of sitting in a parlor in Oberschwandorf, Germany talking with a man who fondly remembers the visit years before of Helen and Bob Corbin. He shared not only his recollections, but also a photograph of Helen and Bob and himself. Now I must send him this sad news.

The Dutchman community owes her a lot. I hope that many have the grace to either attend the funeral or if not possible to send cards and flowers. And remember Bob in your prayers. He has lost his life partner.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is with a great sadness that I heard of Helen's passing yesterday. She truly was a significant force as an author and a woman. I have many fond memories of Helen, she was a gracious person, strong willed with an iron spirit. My thoughts and prayers go out to Bob and the rest of the Corbin family.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Helen had many friends here, and Carolyn and I send our heartfelt condolences to you all. Our thoughts and prayers are with Helen and her family.

Joe and Carolyn Ribaudo

OP
OP
cactusjumper

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Gene Reynolds was the author of "Borrego 13) and a long time Dutch Hunter.

Sadly, I received this message from Larry (buscar) this morning:

Joe,

I called to find out how Gene Reynolds was doing and the people he stayed with said that Gene died New Years Day. I was told that he had been cremated.

Click: (buscar) Members Photo Gallery (picture of Gene)

Gene Reynolds
92 Adella Lane
Jefferson, Ga. 30549
(706) 367-0812

Take care,

Buscar

As you all know, Gene's health had been failing for years. He will always be part of LDM history. Anyone who would like to add some of Gene's history to this topic, that would surely be welcome. I will add what I know later.

Joe Ribaudo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread