Another Dutch Hunter Crosses Over - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree504Likes

Thread: Another Dutch Hunter Crosses Over

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Feb 2006
    New Hampshire - USA
    Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
    2246 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

Re: Another Dutch Hunter Crosses Over

Missed this post for some reason until today - I don't know you CJ, but I'm sorry to hear of your family's loss. It sounds like he had a good life.

cactusjumper likes this.
    "There is no getting away from a treasure that once fastens upon your mind" - Joseph Conrad (Nostromo)

Dec 2005
    Arizona
    5339 times

Cubfan,

Wow, thought that was all over, but your post showed me it still lies just beneath the surface.

My thanks,

Joe
    " Hell, I was there!" Elmer Keith
    "There is an ancient proverb that says a man can never forgive you for a wrong he has done you." From a wise friend.

Dec 2005
    Arizona
    5339 times

I just posted this message on the LDM Forum:

One of the reasons I started this topic, was so that some of the less well known Dutch Hunters could be remembered and their passing noted.

Greg Davis recently sent out an email advising a few people that Charles (Chuck) Crawford had passed away last month. No details were included in the message, other than the date he passed away.

I never met Chuck, but it seems to me that we are all brothers in the fraternity of the Superstitions. I have gleaned a little information about the man and will post it in the hopes that others, who may have known him, will add a little personal history.

From an old time Dutch Hunter:
    ----------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------
    "Charles M. Crawford was an interesting person. I met him for the first time in 1975, in Bark's Canyon. Deleated.....and I were riding horseback in the area looking at the numerous mine tunnels and dumps in the area. Chuck had just staked out his claims in the area. Just before meeting me Chuck talked Channel 12 into doing a news doc on a stone he found. He claim the date was left there by the Coronado Expedition in 1541. Yes, Crawford and my trail crossed several time during the past thirty years. Chuck raised a lot of money off of his imagination over the years. He was really into fire assayer. Some of the small smelters he built kind of scared me, but they never blew up. He managed to melt his samples and pour off the slag. I believe Chuck was from Buffalo, New York. Chuck certainly had his problems with the local constabulary over the years. As you probably know he ran for Sheriff of Pinal County a couple of times. One time he got over 13,000 votes which shocked everyone. These are just a couple of stories. A lot of people spent more time with Chuck then I did and know more about his mining operation."

Sounds like Chuck was, pretty much, one of us.

Chuck believed he had found the LDM and staked a claim close to Bark's Canyon. That was in 1976. He was quoted in an article published in the Phoenix Gazette, in 1980 that the LDM was no longer lost.

My condolences to Chuck's family and friends.

Godspeed,

Joe Ribaudo
    "There is an ancient proverb that says a man can never forgive you for a wrong he has done you." From a wise friend.

Nov 2006
    21 times

some times being a shaman is not as fun as most believe it to be as i read the reaply before me i could hear the soft hit of the pick on the rocks and he dug in the early morning hours . he talk softly to him self ....and only stoped when the call of his family came to mind or the pain in his back needed to strighten up ....the splash of cool water on the head . and the hit of the pick would start again . like music to a miners .. souls .. you keep swing that pick chuck . i will come and seat with you now and then , i guess i dont hear the pain threw the music ....a few months ago my brother had a close call with lung cancer ,thank god it truned out not to be cancer . yesterday night he goes in for heart problems . today he signs him self out and refuse any more test ....

i shake my head and wonder why and just a few mintues ago i herd chucks pick music and knew just why .....

he wants so bad to go back and he knows it maybe his last chance ....i tell my self i cant take him out there if he is sick . yet i cant tell him no ...

all i can say is when you are out there and you hear think you herd a pick far off and away . you remember chuck and the other before him and maybe a few of us yet to give up the search ...

i say dont rest in peace swing that pick as long as you want or you can ...the music is truely beautful to those of us that can hear it .. brovo brovo chuck ! oncore oncore
    " have i lost my way ? or am i just a being of lost ways ? "

" a wiseman once told me a wiseman that thinks he knows everything has already failed  because he thinks "

the blindbowman ,2007

us
    Mar 2007
    sw Pa.
    8 times

My sympathies for your loss. The best part is what you two shared
    & the times you had together. I feel you & him will never be far apart.
    The Truth is Always Politically Incorrect

us
    May 2007
    Western Colorado
    335 times

Joe,
    These Duch chasers, like yourself and a few others, are a special type, I have met few I didn't like,and most I liked a lot.
    I would very much have liked to have known Chuck. I feel I will mourn his passage as though I did.

There is one who did pass this month in 1989. He lived in Mesa AZ and was my mentor, my good friend and my partner.
    I didn't meet him right off the way some folks meet friends like this.
    I just happened to go to school with his kid.
    when school was over we kids went into the service.
    When service was over for me I came home to find out that my friend was staying in. And he did for almost 40 years.
    His Dad, Glen Sweigart and I became friends and I went with him on many of his hunts, we cased the signs that took me from a hunting camp I had been in when I was 16 where a date of 1695 was chiseled into a stone face.

I learned that Glenn had spent the last two years of WWII as a prisoner of war in the Nuremberg corridor, many comment to me I think like he did, I take that as the highest of compliments, He was a very savvy individual.

He loved the out doors and he loved the Spanish trails. He loved a good mystery and he had one of the biggest hearts in a small guy I have ever encountered.
    There are times in the year that bring back sweet memories for everyone, this month does it for me.

I will always miss my friend Glenn.
    I think he still walks with me.
    I know he walks in my heart.

Thom
    Old Dog
    cactusjumper likes this.
    "Everybody dies"
    "But not everybody lives."

Dec 2005
    Arizona
    5339 times

Tubecity,

My thanks for the kind words, but I began the post about Chuck Crawford with this:

"I never met Chuck, but it seems to me that we are all brothers in the fraternity of the Superstitions. I have gleaned a little information about the man and will post it in the hopes that others, who may have known him, will add a little personal history."

Despite that, your thoughts are well received.

Thank you,

Joe Ribaudo

Dec 2005
    Arizona
    5339 times

Thom,

I know the feeling well. It's been many, many years since my Uncle Chuck passed away, and yet after a trip into the mountains around 2003, I got to thinking about our trips and the good times I had with him.....and had to pull off the road.

Those kind of memories will never die, until you take your last breath. Not sure that will take them away either.

Glen's name rings a bell with me. Considering the number of bells that are ringing on a regular basis, that's saying something. It would not surprise me if he and my uncle knew each other.

Remembering is what this topic is all about.

My thanks,

Joe

us
    May 2007
    Western Colorado
    335 times

Thanks Joe,

I'm sure it's just that time of year.
    I seem to get stuff in my eye a lot, little things.

But you know,
    I wouldn't have missed a second of it... not for the world.
    I'm not any richer for the experience, but...
    I have been enriched by it ... beyond measure.

I can remember a walk that started in Flagstaff, and I am still following that trail.
    I want to finish it as Glen and I started it together.
    Every time I go out I feel his presence, coaching, coaxing, and telling me "You missed something."

I guess all we can do as veterans of the hobby is to use what they keep giving us, and give the younger generation as much of a chance as we had.
    OH yes, we had to work for it. without a doubt.
    And the experience is more valuable than money can buy. But when the new comer needs a hand up, I think we honor the ones who taught us so well. By coaching, coaxing, and telling them.... Hey you missed something. And sharing all those old memories with the ones who will in time take our place....

Thanks for the thread and the time.
    and as always for your kind words.

Thom
    cactusjumper likes this.
    "Everybody dies"

Dec 2005
    Arizona
    5339 times

Thom,

Seems like( should have put....many of) the new kids on the block already know everything. Kind of spooky, ya know?

Joe

us
    Feb 2006
    New Hampshire - USA
    2246 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Quote Originally Posted by cactusjumper
    Thom,

Seems like the new kids on the block already know everything. Kind of spooky, ya know?

Joe
    Not all of us "new guys on the block" make those claims
    cactusjumper likes this.
    "There is no getting away from a treasure that once fastens upon your mind" - Joseph Conrad (Nostromo)

Dec 2005
    Arizona
    5339 times

Cubfan,

I really misspoke/miswrote there. I need a little cold water thrown in my face now and again, and I thank you for the service.

You sir are one of a disappearing breed. Many of the newbies come on claiming to know nothing one day, and giving lessons and guided tours the next.

Good luck and good hunting,

Joe

us
    Feb 2006
    New Hampshire - USA
    2246 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Quote Originally Posted by cactusjumper
    Cubfan,

I really misspoke/miswrote there. I need a little cold water thrown in my face now and again, and I thank you for the service.

You sir are one of a disappearing breed. Many of the newbies come on claiming to know nothing one day, and giving lessons and guided tours the next.

Good luck and good hunting,

Joe
    LOL - just ribbing you CJ

I was raised to have the utmost respect for my elders - be that elders "in age" or "in experience."

It's unfortunate however that up until my mid 30's or so, I may have respected my elders but I didn't pay nearly as much attention as I should have. I dearly regret not spending more time really talking to my great great aunt and uncle before they passed away - they came over directly from Germany many years ago and lived in what I found out later was one of the first homes built in the area (not sure of the data, but it was built of stone and the walls had to be at least 1.5-2 feet thick).

I'm sure there was alot of wisdom and history that I missed out on by not spending more quality time with them than I did.

Sorry for the little "aside story" - as I'm getting older I find myself getting more and more thoughtful and introspective.

If there's one thing I could convince young kids of, it's that there is a vast wealth of experience and practical knowledge that disappears as each generation passes on - we owe it to ourselves and our kids to save as much of that as we can!
    cactusjumper likes this.

us
    May 2007
    Western Colorado
    335 times

Joe,

I'm sure you have seen the instant experts,
    the ones who know just enough to really get hurt.
    Those are the ones I think you spoke of.

Then there are guys like Djui5 and AZstomper and Cubfan
    This type hunter will find the grail and end up saving lives.
    These are the best legacy old guys like us can leave.
    I'm not sorry i met these guys.

Thom
    cactusjumper likes this.
    "Everybody dies"

us
    May 2007
    Western Colorado
    335 times

But then again .....
    I'm not so old as to be counted out yet.
    LOL
    I ain't quittin yet.

LOL
    Thom
    OD
    cactusjumper likes this.
    "Everybody dies"

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links