Another Dutch Hunter Crosses Over

OP
OP
cactusjumper

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Ray G. Ruiz passed away August 25, 2010. Ray was the very well known owner of Ruiz Marina and the Bluebird Mine Curio Shop on the Apache Trail. He purchased the Bluebird in 1967. He was buried at the City of Mesa Cemetery on Sept. 1, 2010.

This information came to me from Tom and Sharon Kollenborn today. They were good friends of Ray.

Joe Ribaudo

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cactusjumper said:
Ray G. Ruiz passed away August 25, 2010. Ray was the very well known owner of Ruiz Marina and the Bluebird Mine Curio Shop on the Apache Trail. He purchased the Bluebird in 1967. He was buried at the City of Mesa Cemetery on Sept. 1, 2010.

This information came to me from Tom and Sharon Kollenborn today. They were good friends of Ray.

Joe Ribaudo

I was lucky to have met him last year when I visited his curio shop. It was fun looking at all the stuff in there and especially interesting to see all the old photos on the walls and hear some of the stories behind them from him.

OP
OP
cactusjumper

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
I received the sad news this morning, from Larry (Buscar) that Tracy Hawkins had passed away.

Tracy was an "Old Timer" in the Dutch Hunting community and a close friend and partner to my Uncle Chuck and Ernie Provence. Tracy was the man that Bus Bonner sent Tracy to, when he was unable to help him in his search for the LaFrance cave of gold bars.

I have a CD that we did of an interview with Tracy, giving all the details he could remember about that search.

Tracy was one of the few men who had ridden over the Main Mountain starting in Hieroglyphic Canyon. He spent many years exploring the Superstitions with Ernie and Chuck. They shared many adventures in Arizona. As far back as I can remember, Tracy worked in an auto parts store.

Our prayers are with Tracy and his family.

Joe Ribaudo

Last edited:

Loke

Mar 24, 2010
Republic of Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry to hear that ...
It just makes the rest of us realize that we are not getting any younger - and at some point there is a 'bullet' with our name on it.

I'm sorry, Joe - and I'm sorry for Tracy's family - yall will be in my prayers ...

OP
OP
cactusjumper

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Victor,

Tracy was more of a close friend to my Uncle Chuck than to me. We exchanged a number of email's over the years and Carolyn and I visited him in his home a few times.

Not much of a personal nature passed between us, unless we were talking about Chuck.

I was saddened by his passing, but considered him a friendly acquaintance.
If you wanted to hear some interesting stories about folks adventures in the Superstitions, he was a good one to sit down with.

"...apologize for any defensive or insulting replies in past posts."

I appreciate the apology, but I give just as much as I take on these forums. Strong personalities make for uncomforable exchanges. Unless I am personally attacked, outside of the debate, I don't take offense. On the other hand, I do bite back. :boxing: :)

Thanks again,

Joe

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ANOTHER DUTCH HUNTER CROSSES OVER

I just got a sad message from a friend - about another dutch hunter crossing over.

Peter Weber - who is known here and there by many, passed away in Northern Arizona.

Peter was well known for his "jaunts" into the Superstitions, and for his "caches" of beans, water and sleeping bags, stashed across the mountains.

I don't have all the details, but I will update them when his sister gets back with me.

Beth

Here's to you, Peter - your red bull, your beans and your sleeping bag. (and your Solomons).

Attachments

• peter weber at lost sombrero mine.jpg
    peter weber at lost sombrero mine.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 1,217

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Beth,
I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.
I didn't know him, but am saddened even more ...
Knowing that folks like you guys did, and I missed out.
At least I know you all, so all isn't lost.

Heart felt sympathies, and fond wishes to his family and you all.

May sweet memories rule the day.
My condolences.

Thom

Furness

Aug 23, 2008
Lancs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Joe,

My condolences on the loss of your dad,
I've been away for a few days and missed the start of the thread,
I've never been religious, believing more in mans humanity to man than the prescribed religions,

but i have for a long time believed in reincarnation, and that when the body dies what we call the soul finds a new host to live in and experience their life,

so perhaps our loved ones can perhaps thought of as just, --- moving house,

regards to you and yours,

John S

OP
OP
cactusjumper

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
John,

Many thanks for the condolences. My dad passed away on February 14, 2007. It's been awhile now, but I still appreciate the sentiments.

Take care,

Joe

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Didn't post until I was able to confirm,
Bud Arnold better know to some as Mesa Buddy passed the Night of July 2-3 in Palm Springs

We had over the years spent hours going over and discussing signs and legends.
I will miss him.
I know he spent a lot of time researching and had walked many of the trails to cover the Dutchman signs and landmarks.
I know he was a friend to many dutch hunters.

Blindbowman

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i did nt know him .. in fact i dont know you ... but i know what losing a friend or families all about all to well .. he must have been a good preson you remember him ... i guess that says somerthing about you also ...ether your old or you were a true friend to him ... i know its hard to walk past ...they say theres treasures in heaven too... :coffee2:

Loke

Mar 24, 2010
Republic of Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry to hear that ...
I know it is inevitable - but it still hurts ...

My condolences to those left behind - and for anyone that knew him.

Dirty Dutchman

Dec 27, 2010
Arizona
Detector(s) used
My Brain
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rest in Peace Mr Jim Hatt.

I didnt know Jim very well, but I did get to spend some time with him over the last year talking about his favorite subject. I'll miss the banter and the stories he was willing to share with a newcomer. I'll tip my hat to you whenever I make a trip into the mountains.

So long Cowboy,
Travis

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mesa buddy and I had an appt to guzzle coffee and bs for a couple of days, but like many things in life, I kept finding things that were more imortant to do first, soooo sigh.

One good thing though is that since I am not a true LDM hunter, I will live forever, or at least to the age that I have posted in my profile, 162.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dirty Dutchman said:
Rest in Peace Mr Jim Hatt.

I didnt know Jim very well, but I did get to spend some time with him over the last year talking about his favorite subject. I'll miss the banter and the stories he was willing to share with a newcomer. I'll tip my hat to you whenever I make a trip into the mountains.

So long Cowboy,
Travis

Hate to hear that Travis. No matter what else, you gotta respect someone who has the courage and will to quit a good job to chase a dream in the Superstition Mountains. I know Clay has said on more than one occassion that no matter what the outcome of any of his years of searching, he doesn't regret one moment doing something he has that kind of passion for. I'm guessing Jim would have said the same thing.

My condolences to his wife and family.

Blindbowman

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i am sorry i was crying . he was a friend .. i dont met to many people i like . jim i liked ..we talked about his dreams and why he wanted the find what he was looking for out there and we talked about his dream of haveing a sailboat and just taking off on the open sea . i had taken a sailboat from sd to hawiai and he love the idea of sailing . that was his dream ...he had a interest in the number 7 and if i had found anything out there about it and the secert hearts .. i am packed and ready to pull out tomorrow morning at 10:00. and i can not see my screen threw the pain of his passing ... you rest in peace jim .. your sail boat is already waiting for you ...

i will miss you old friend ... :coffee2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread