Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was recently contacted by Greg Howard, son of Dale Howard. Many of the facts of that story, as I remembered, were in error.:o Greg sent me the real story, and I will try to get him to post it here.

Joe Ribaudo

Nice coincidence Joe - I just happened to see a post by ghoward over on DUSA attached to a "jesuit gold" story that was fairly old. I posted a response and asked if he would be willing to share what he knew if I started a thread under the "True Stories" section.

Doesn't matter to me one way or another where he tells his story, but I'm sure folks would be interested in hearing it.

See you in a couple weeks God willing :).

Paul

ghoward

Oct 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the positive response. It is fascinating to me that people are still interestd in this! My main interest is to clear up some of the inaccuracies in the stories already floating around out there about my father Dale Howard and the tunnel and ore sample he found in the Superstitions.

My parents, Dale and Edna Howard, lived in Phoenix in 1947-49. They lived at 24th Street and Thomas, which at that time was the very eastern edge of the city, with nothing but desert between them and the tiny hamlet of Scottsdale many miles to the east. The only road that connected Phoenix to Scottsdale back then was Camelback or Highway 60 (Van Buren) which connected to the dirt version of Rural Road which would lead you to the very small Scottsdale downtown. Together they backpacked and camped in and around the Superstitions, including the area around Reives Ranch. I believe it was during this time that they met Al Morrow and Chuck and Peggy Aylor, a couple who lived in the mountains and prospected and placer mined (I think near what is now Goldfields?) for many years until Chuck died in the early 60s. My parents moved to northern California in 1950, but my father came back to AZ several times as he had gotten interested in the Lost Dutchman stories.
My father and a friend, a retired railroad engineer named Jack (still trying to remember his last nameā€¦) who my parents knew from Oakland, CA, were prospecting on Blacktop Mountain in the early 1950sā€¦not before WW II as suggested in other versions of this story. Neither Jack nor my father was in the war either. Dale was in the CAP for a while in Washington, and Jack as a railroad engineer was in what was considered essential work; plus he was quite a bit older than my father, so Jack would have been maybe 45 or 50 during the war.
The story has been told elsewhere, but here is a more complete version: Jack and Dale were climbing around on Blacktop in the late spring. Jack, who was much taller, stepped up on a boulder to check a ledge for snakes before putting his hands up there; the stone rolled aside and they saw a small tunnel proceeding into the rock face. My father described the opening as about 2 Ā½ or 3 feet high about 2 feet wide at the base, with a smoothly rounded arched top. He said you could clearly see the chisel marks on the stone. The tunnel went back about 20 feet and then curved smoothly to one side (Iā€™ve forgotten which, but my dad remembered it vividly!). About four feet inside the entrance a single chunk of rock a little smaller than a football was lying in the middle of the floor. They were concerned about noxious gases and snakes, so they twisted up a bunch of dried grass and lit it. When they held this inside the entrance, the flame bent and sucked forward, indicating that there was some other opening somewhere close enough to create a significant draft. After tossing their temporary torch forward and letting it burn out, they guessed it was safe. One of them crawled forward into the tunnel almost to the curve when he encountered a rattlesnake and retreated rapidly! They had just been hiking around and had neither guns nor flashlights and it was late in the day. They took the rock with them, rolled the boulder easily back in front of the opening, and spent the last remaining daylight drawing a diagram of sorts. (It should have been pretty accurate; Jack was a retired construction engineer who had built railroad bridges during his career.) The map included compass readings and major landmarks visible from the ledge in front of the tunnel opening, including Weaverā€™s Needle. They also paced off the location from the large petroglyphs carved into a slab of rock on the top of the mountain up the slope above the tunnel. (You could still see a piece of this rock in the late 1970s-the last time I was on Black Top, although much of it had been destroyed and/or stolen even back then. It was already smaller and much more damaged then than it was when I first saw it in the mid-1960s! I donā€™t know if it is still there or notā€¦)
They returned to San Raphael, CA, where my parents lived at the time, and had the rock assayed in the SF county assayers office. The rock was mostly rose quartz and had visible lines of gold about the width of a pencil line on the surface. The rock was assayed and contained gold, silver and a trace of lead.
(Note: Sometime later, I believe I heard that this ore was similar to the ore from the Vulture mine, and the Dutchman was often accused of having ā€œhigh-gradedā€ from the Vulture, so my father and his friend suspected that there might be a connection. Or at least they considered this a possibility, I thinkā€¦Tracy Hawkins was sort of an advocate of this theory, considering the tunnel a ā€œcacheā€, rather than a ā€œmineā€)
Jack died in the early 60s from Parkinsonā€™s; I can dimly remember how frail and wasted he had become and how much he shook like with palsy. In the era of his decline and death, the instructions (there was never an actual map) were lost. All that my father had was an abbreviated version of them he had sent in a letter to my mom from Phoenix before driving back to CA. They came back to AZ once about a year or two later, but had an accident, Jack got hurt, and they never made it in to the mountains. One thing and another, it was some years before my father was able to return to Arizona. He started prospecting in the area again in the mid-60s and filed claims for parts of the mountain near where he thought the tunnel was. ..but the ā€˜lookā€™ of the mountainside was very different from what he remembered!
In about 1967, he met a guy named Jerry Pinta who was prospecting not too far away, somewhat farther down the slope. Jerry Pinta is the guy who was later shot to death by his own wife (I think this was around Christmas in 1967 or 68); I have seen a website posting which associated this story with my father -which is completely incorrect, but helps show some awareness by some people of the vague connection between Dale Howard and Jerry Pinta.
Sometime before he was shot, Pinta got in an argument with either some other prospectors or some rangers or both. I am not clear on the whys, but apparently Pinta swore he was giving up on the area and rather than pack it out, he set off a bunch of dynamite he had stored in his excavated cave or tunnel on the slope of Blacktop. It was supposedly several cases! Some stories said four, some claimed as many as 14! Either way, it was a huge blast. Al Morrow claimed it knocked him flat on his back as he was walking out of his tunnel with a couple of cans of fruit (he used to have stacked wooden orange crate shelves with canned goods in there where it was much cooler) in his camp which was several miles away. The blast shattered a lot of the once vertical face of the mountain at that point and sent it crashing down. Jerry Pinta claimed he had almost buried himself, as the blast and rockslide was way beyond what heā€™d expected. (He and my father later got in a fist fight over this episode at a horse stable in Glendale where they both boarded their horses, and Pinta pulled a pistol out of his car, but the owner of the stable pointed a rifle at him and ā€˜persuadedā€™ him to get in his car and leave. Hard to imagine perhaps, but Phoenix has always had some element of the ā€˜wild westā€™-especially back in the 60s!) Both my mother and I were standing there when this fight took place.
I think it was this blast that toppled and broke in half the large petroglyph on the crest above and caused huge rock slides. It also altered and largely buried the part of the slope where my father believed his tunnel had been. He spent the next 7 or 8 years every chance he got trying to dig back to the original vertical face-if it still existed-and to try and find the distinctive two-tiered ledge that had been in front of the opening. Through the years several men worked with him on this project, starting with Bob Acres in the early 60s. In the mid-60s he met Ernie Province and through Ernie he met Chuck Ribaudo. (The story of their meeting is pretty funny too, especially the way Ernie told it.) His most long-term and dedicated partner was Tracy Hawkins, who I think he met in late 1969 or early 1970, shortly after my mom died in a car accident. He and Tracy prospected together (sometimes with Ernie and others) up until about 1976, when my father got too sick to do it anymore.
I know that both Ernie and Tracy have died in the last couple years, and Iā€™m sorry to hear it. They were both good guys; role models to me and my brother, and friends to my father- especially when he was dying of cancer. He passed away Oct. 17th, 1977, and one of my last conversations with him was about what would happen to ā€œhisā€ mountain and his grandfathered in claims in what had become Wilderness area. I regret that I had neither the resources nor the knowledge nor the inclination to do much to try and keep those claims alive at the time.
This is the basic story of Jack and Dale and the finding of the tunnel as well as I can remember it. I know this is a very long post, but believe me when I say this actually leaves out a lot of the details. I heard it many times, and I can still vividly recall the intensity with which my father told it: it was one of the most dramatic and exciting moments in his life; which already included a number of dramatic incidents going back to his boyhood during the Depression and life on a Wyoming cattle ranch. But there was no other story he told with such focus, such almost-religious intensity. Some of that was the lure of hidden treasure, perhaps, but more than that, it always seemed to me that he was trying to ā€œbear witnessā€, to communicate through his own intensity the amazement of the experience which he could be emotionally moved by even 25 years later. He was a good storyteller-though probably not as good as Ernie- but there was no other story made his eyes gleam like this one.
I hope this narrative helps set straight some errors and confusion I see on these Superstition/Lost Dutchman sites. I think I can say without arrogance that I doubt there is anyone left alive who had the advantage of the first-hand perspective I have on these events and that era. I knew all these people; as well as Al Morrow, Peggy Aylor, Crazy Jake, and the infamous Bob Brady. If anyone is interested, in another installment, I will tell the story of the Bob Brady treasure cave expedition-which, by the way, I was supposed to go along on until my mother changed her mind at the last minute and made me stay home.
I welcome questions and comments and addendums to this story, as well as any legitimate memories of Dale, Ernie or Tracy. Thanks. -GH

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks to Greg for the post, and for Joe initializing it.
Greg,do you mean Black Mountain, or Blacktop Mesa?
I can only find a Black mountain on a 1966 topo. Unless it was changed later. Or I need to look on an earlier map.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cactusjumper

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Thanks to Greg for the post, and for Joe initializing it.
Greg,do you mean Black Mountain, or Blacktop Mesa?
I can only find a Black mountain on a 1966 topo. Unless it was changed later. Or I need to look on an earlier map.

RR,

It's Black Top Mesa (also called Black Top Mountain). It was a favorite location for many years.

Gregg,

I also appreciate your posting your story over here. There are a lot of those facts, that I had wrong. I will always come down on the side of true history. Thank you.

Take care,

Joe

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn't really matter to me where you posted your story ghoward, but thanks for telling it.

If you don't mind posting what you know/remember about the Brady story, I'm sure there are a large number of people who would like to hear that as well.

Don't know if you have or would be willing to do so, but if you have any photos of your dad or any of the other folks associated in your stories, that always adds some "life" to it as well.

Thanks again for telling your story.

OP
OP
cactusjumper

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Gregg,

You are most welcome here. Many of the members will appreciate your stories, as well as reading about your dad. Dale Howard is a part of Superstition Mountain lore. You can bring Dale to life for those who never had the pleasure of meeting him in person.

With 67,651 members, TNet has the potential of reaching more treasure hunters than any other site. We will all be the richer for your knowledge of Dale's experiences in the Superstitions.

Thanks again,

Joe Ribaudo

Dr. Syn

Feb 15, 2011
Lakeland, Florida
Yes very interesting to say the least.

And just a thought after hearing it, even if you had step by step directions to the mine. Man, nature, and/or both could have changed the terrain so much that you'll walk right past it and never know.

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
Wonderful story! Thank you for posting it. I was cleaning my garage this week. Had 5 boxes of old west magazines I was donating to Cathy at Cordes Station. Most from the 60's First magazine on top was true west Dec 72. Story caught my eye. I packed Al Morrow out of the Superstitions. By Amos Hawkins as told to Jean Long. A interesting point. Amos said Al told him why he picked that spot to dig his mine. He had found blocks with the date 1761 and 1847 cut into the stone. A short way beyond his camp a stone with JW carved into it. The rest of the story was about Al's body recovery. Just though that was interesting. Always wondered why Al picked that spot for his mine.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Ghoward thank you for posting that story, I hope you will post more.
Oroblanco

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Roy,

Gregg told me he would post more when he gets the time. I am anxious to read them as well.

Take care,

Joe

Joe, think you can poke Gregg after the holidays and see if he's willing to share some more stories?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread