Sims Ely book - why no mention of the Dick Holmes side of the story?

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Mike - stone maps? Could not Travis have been fooled?

As to the origin of the "feud" between Julia and Holmes, a lot is surmise and not so much documented. What we have (from Ely) is that the gold was gone, and from Holmes we have that Waltz gave it to him.

"Don't forget to take the candle box of ore under my bed" (Waltz to Dick Holmes, The Lost Dutchman Mine of Jacob Waltz Pt 2 the Holmes Manuscript, T.E. Glover, pp 61)

Of course the Holmes Manuscript has also been questioned as to authorship, but Dick Holmes did spend many years searching the Superstitions,and then his son Brownie after him and Clay Wurst to this day, which certainly says something.

Good luck and good hunting amigos I hope you find the treasures that you seek.
Oroblanco

Some Dude

May 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
GMT, GTI-2500 & Falcon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Cubfan,

Sims perspective remains a bit of a mystery. Holmes is not the only thing conspicuously missing from his book. For a lifetime of pursuing “how to find the LDM” plus multiple interrogations of Julia and comparing what Rhiney said to Bark – where are the directions? The best Sims can muster is “over the hill and across a creek” (literally). Clearly, Sims wrote the book to give his own experience.

In reading The Holmes Manuscript, Holmes Senior is almost paranoid with his information; telling Brownie that if he does locate the mine not to do anything, except casually stroll out of the hills as if nothing happened - because people were sure to be watching him. I would therefore conclude that whatever information Holmes had, he was not about to share with anyone. The result being that there was quite simply nothing for Sims to write about Holmes with the possible exception of the suspicion that Holmes ‘stole’ the gold – a subjective opinion at best. Better to just leave Holmes out of the picture alltogether and get on with the story.

Best,
Some Dude

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread