Fun with G.E.

Somero

Sep 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a random thought for today and all those Google Earther's out there.

This is Elephant Butte

4929418.jpg

This is Elephant Butte on Google Earth...............................any Questions about why G.E. is not a reliable tool?

4929418.jpg

Side note.............my computer is quite capable of rendering anything high end, so don't even try to play that card.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Somero

Sep 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Couple more problematic images, while one is close it still does not reflect what is actually visible from being there in person.

I think this is the right angle for Cactusjumpers picture.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Somero

Sep 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Miners Needle

7274375.jpg

Just not quite right :icon_scratch:

Still not right :dontknow:

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clearly you're just not doing it right!!! I'm taking my ball and going home :)

OP
OP
S

Somero

Sep 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So to summarize.............................

This is a good tool for sightseeing, it tends to get a little cattywampus when dealing with rugged terrain.

Paul's Ball 8-)

While these are fantastic tools for getting up close and personal in the real world.

Not trying to dissuade anybody from looking, but if your going to post ideas and locations, G.E. images are just not quite right for the job. Apologies if this upsets anyone but a real picture is worth a thousand words.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Somero

Sep 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol..up there in tennis shoes...lol...old school...someone might mistake you for an apache sneaking around protecting lost mines.

Not quite tennis shoes, Basketball nice and comfy with good ankle support. Yes precious very sneeksy

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Not quite tennis shoes, Basketball nice and comfy with good ankle support. Yes precious very sneeksy

Just one encounter with a Jumping Cholla (it happens) should cure the tennis shoe sickness.

I would never go into the Supe,s without good leather boots. I speak from personal experience.

Take care,

Joe

OP
OP
S

Somero

Sep 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Already had a few of them nasty things stuck in my shoes, so far been lucky nothing got through. Nails are another story though, :censored: that tetanus shot is pretty bad too.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol..up there in tennis shoes...lol...old school...someone might mistake you for an apache sneaking around protecting lost mines.

Leather uppers dont set off the detector. Remember to take off your toe rings lol.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Ditto to the kudos for posting this - I really DO like Google Earth, but is really does NOT give you a good idea of what the ground is like when you stand on it.

Two thumbs up Somero for posting this thread. :icon_thumleft::icon_thumright:
Oroblanco

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
Ditto to the kudos for posting this - I really DO like Google Earth, but is really does NOT give you a good idea of what the ground is like when you stand on it...

Yeah, it's only a click above worthless. Street View rocks for checking out the old childhood neighborhood, though.

txtea

Nov 16, 2009
It's like when someone shows you pictures of their vacation to the Grand Canyon...BORRRRIIINNGG. :sleepy2:
You have to be there to experience it.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gentle men ??? coffee?. I used tennis shoes on the trip to the Yucatan looking for Mayan ruins, leather doesn't last long in humid tropics, As for the Us SW desert, if you haven't had a leather shoe pinned to your foot with a nice stout Cholla or Hecho cactus needle, you haven't had any fun. In the end, one just has to grit their teeth and pull the shoe off regardless. oooouch.

The Yaqui just used twigs to pull off Cholla buds, then flip them unto a naked captive until he was covered completely with cholla buds then turn him loose. If they were actually p---ed off at you , they first simply skinned the soles of your feet, then to the chola treatment before setting you free.

As I always have said, tis best to be friends.

Side thingie, haven't you ever started to slide towards a cliff with the only thing to stop your slide to damnation is a stout Hecho, Pityaya or f Organ pipe cactus?? You find yourself very happy to wrap your ever lovin arms around something with 1t0 3 inch long sharp, spines.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread