Is the Pit Mine really the Lost Dutchman mine?

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
I don't get raked up in a pile about whether or not there were untoward activities involved. Wouldn't be the first time and probably won't be the last time.

I do have some interest in whether or not the dig site can be confirmed to be the LDM. If it is ....good for them. Regardless, my feeling are there is more just like it in that area, yet to find.

What DOES frost my chops is ............. the lack of information.

The Forest Service and the BLM, both of which were involved, are funded by me and you and everyone else that made a donation yesterday (tax day).

I don't care if Mr. Feldman and company were charged for the services they used, it still should be public information. We aren't running a private for hire organization out there. Its public business and should be public information.

For instance........there were required archeologist on site. Where's their report?

Samples of the timber uncovered were removed and carbon dated (or whatever newer method).

Where are the results? For historic reasons that information should be public. What time period do they point to? Department of Interior under Historic preservation SHOULD have that information and SHOULD have made it publically available including retaining samples for further testing as methods are updated. Where are they? Do they date to pre Columbian, Spanish or later? That would go a long way in settling a lot of the unknowns.

If that information is "out there" I haven't found it and I'm usually pretty good at searching for information. If it there, I humbly apologize for not being able to find it. If its in Mr. Feldman's book nobody has talked about it. And I shouldn't and you shouldn't have to buy a book to know the answer. That's why the danged Government was involved in the first place. For the benefit of "We the People".

Rant over.........

Lynda

Lynda,

The archeologist did a report on what was found at the Feldman Dig. A copy was sent to me not long after the fact. I haven't looked at it since I first read it. All I remember now is that it was a pretty dry read. You should be able to find it, but maybe not on the Internet. There is no big secret about the dig.

The Pit Mine is also no big secret. It's been well documented and I provided many pictures inside and outside. Sorry you are angry about being outside the loop on this one. As I have said many times, In the Dutch Hunting community, it's not so much what you know as who you know. Start developing those "who" connections.

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo

Old

Feb 25, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Joe,

Thank you very much for the information. I do appreciate it. I do intend to find the report and the analysis. May take me some time but I've got time. <g>

Please don't read more into what I said than is there. I'm not "angry" at anyone in the Dutch Hunting community. Honest. The Dutch Hunting community is protecting their turf. Nothing wrong with that.

But; I am more than mad at the Department of the Interior. The minute they issued a permit, authorized a dig, and hired archeologist it became MY BUSINESS also. Its their job to have this information, have it readily available, and to make it public. Not hide it under a basket and make me go Easter egg hunting for it. Playing Tag you're It with Uncle Sam is a pain in the backside.

I've seen your pictures of the mine and they are fabulous. Nice job of documentation, kudos to you. I certainly enjoyed seeing them. Feldman's pictures are nice also.

Again, thanks for the information....every little bit helps.

Lynda

Last edited:

Ponchosportal

Nov 19, 2004
Primary Interest:
Other
Lynda,

The archeologist did a report on what was found at the Feldman Dig. A copy was sent to me not long after the fact. I haven't looked at it since I first read it. All I remember now is that it was a pretty dry read. You should be able to find it, but maybe not on the Internet. There is no big secret about the dig.

The Pit Mine is also no big secret. It's been well documented and I provided many pictures inside and outside. Sorry you are angry about being outside the loop on this one. As I have said many times, In the Dutch Hunting community, it's not so much what you know as who you know. Start developing those "who" connections.

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo

Would that be the photos that were removed from this website Cactus Jumper?

Thanks in advance,
Poncho

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
On a side note, Scott Woods retired his position with the Forest Service last month. I just thought that it would be appropriate to thank him publicly for making time to listen and to advise. Thank you Scott and all the best to you!

Hal Croves

OP
OP
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
On a side note, Scott Woods retired his position with the Forest Service last month. I just thought that it would be appropriate to thank him publicly for making time to listen and to advise. Thank you Scott and all the best to you!

Hal Croves

Ditto, thank you Scott! (nice post Hal!)

Old

Feb 25, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hal Croves[/QUOTE

Congratulations to Mr. Woods. Does anyone happen to know the name of the individual that took over his position?

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010

Hal Croves[/QUOTE

Congratulations to Mr. Woods. Does anyone happen to know the name of the individual that took over his position?
There is an interim archeologist until Scott is officially replaced.
His name is available by calling the station in Mesa.
If that doesn't get you the name, PM me and I will forward it.

SGnAZ

Aug 20, 2008
I thought it was well known that a bunch of vest wearing,dually driving cowboys dug up the pit mine and bought a ranch out of state to spend the summers at.

Old

Feb 25, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a FYI note to let you know...........a targeted, detailed and specific FOIA request was filed April 21, I opened for $100, Forest Service raised me $500 and change on April 30. I called their raise today. We will see what the record shows.

PS: The Forest Service has been very responsive. Seems to be a nice group of people.

Lynda

OP
OP
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Ye gads that is over $600 just to get information that should be public! I have had to shell out to get information too but not quite that much so far, I hope this will turn out to be worth what it is costing you. I wonder where those funds will vanish into?

Perhaps this expense might be able to be listed as a business deduction, as long as you are pursuing treasure hunting as a business venture and not a hobby.
Roy

Old

Feb 25, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL, its a hobby. Maybe a silly one, but a hobby. I figured it was about the cost of 3 books on the subject. I've done sillier things.....not often but when I'm on a quest.

I agree, it SHOULD be public information. That's what frost my chops about it.

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Just a FYI note to let you know...........a targeted, detailed and specific FOIA request was filed April 21, I opened for $100, Forest Service raised me $500 and change on April 30. I called their raise today. We will see what the record shows.

PS: The Forest Service has been very responsive. Seems to be a nice group of people.

Lynda

OMG

RG1976

Mar 30, 2015
Scottsdale, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq & Vaquero

Leupold BX-3 Mojave & RX1200i Rangefinder
Primary Interest:
Other

Lynda

You're my hero! Thanks for doing this. Can't wait to learn and read more.

Because the area isn't legally documented (the area in my video, at least) - I'll be quite curious what they say. I feel confident they know of, and have been to, the location.

What's the time frame you've been quoted?

Old

Feb 25, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Time frame is 20 working days. Hard to tell if that means from initial request or from date I confirmed the costs. Latest would be June 4.

OP
OP
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Time frame is 20 working days. Hard to tell if that means from initial request or from date I confirmed the costs. Latest would be June 4.

Isn't that interesting, that they need a period of time, <20 working days!> simply to collect up some documents? One almost wonders if there is more than collecting and compiling going on there. ??? :dontknow:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread