Is the Pit Mine really the Lost Dutchman mine?

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
View attachment 1286042

I'm reading it now. It does address the Pitt mine issues. Even has a few pages about the old Sarge.

does your copy have these imgs too 120$ steep
Lost El Dorado of Jacob Waltz by Jack San Felice: Jack San Felice 9781890216085 Soft cover, 1st Edition - My November Guest Books

a couple of articles Jack San Felice did, maybe i can borrow a copy from
somewhere to read, sounds like a good read
Military trail of Jacob Waltz - Apache Junction/Gold Canyon Independent | Apache Junction/Gold Canyon Independent
Lost Dutchman Mine

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
The new Lost El Dorado book is over 450 pages. Contains the old book stuff but greatly expanded. Back says 24.95
Jack has been around in those mountains. Gives directions to sites along with history and photos. It will be a must have. Tons of new information. Written by a cop getting ready for court.

EarnieP

Jul 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The new Lost El Dorado book is over 450 pages. Contains the old book stuff but greatly expanded. Back says 24.95
Jack has been around in those mountains. Gives directions to sites along with history and photos. It will be a must have. Tons of new information. Written by a cop getting ready for court.

I didn't find it on the amazon Sgt, where's it listed?

Last edited:

Roadhse2

Mar 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get it by a google search of this...Lost El Dorado of Jacob Waltz by Jack San Felice....scroll down a ways and it shows it as an Amazon Review...go there and then click on "buying options"

Only shows one copy, used, $175

I would post a direct ink..but it takes the page to my account for all to see also....

EarnieP

Jul 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get it by a google search of this...Lost El Dorado of Jacob Waltz by Jack San Felice....scroll down a ways and it shows it as an Amazon Review...go there and then click on "buying options"

Only shows one copy, used, $175

I would post a direct ink..but it takes the page to my account for all to see also....

Ok, found that. But like Sgt says it looks to be a 2007 version.
Don't know why it didn't show up before, maybe amazon as me on ignore. :hello:

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
You won't find it online. Jack is having it printed in small runs. They are selling faster than he expected. The book presents a refreshing view of the issues.
Jack is now using [email protected]

Last edited:

Roadhse2

Mar 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wife is a college librarian...had her check the inter library database and not available there either. it covers all US public and college libraries, including the Library of Congress....so not going to be easy to find one to borrow!

Absurd-Ginger

Jun 3, 2015
Gilbert
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
There is still a few books left at the lost Dutchman museum and Goldfeild that are signed *Last i was there*. If not Jack is a kind man who responds really fast Via Email Sarge posted above and is happy to send you a book but S&H is 2.50. Amazing book by the way.

nobodie

Jul 17, 2015
Phx. A.Z.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Walter Gassler's manuscript pages11 and 12 :
"Tex Barkeley told me he knew a very old Indian woman, an Apache over in Superior to whom he did a favor one time and she said when she was a small girl of about 6 years of age she went with her mother and a small tribe of Apaches up into the Superstition Mountains, she said they had a camp on top of a small ridge and it took the women almost 6 months to cover up a mine, she said it was coneshaped and a huge treepole in the midle with a iron chain you could grab and walk or climb into the pit by going around and around , she claimed they threw the pole the chain and the tools all in the pit and started to cover it with boulders and rocks then dirt and planted trees and bushes so it looked natural , so that sould give anybody a idea just what a job it is going to be to open the place"

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nobodie,

I have heard the same story. I believe it was Apache Jack that told it. In his version, it was several mines and they left one open that was situated high on a ridge, and was almost impossible to see. That was supposed to be the LDM. His version didn't have the chicken ladder or the chain though.

There is also some other verification of that story. It is a not very well known story. I have only shared it with a couple of people. I can't say who the person that shared it with me told it to previously. I will retell most of the story, but will leave some parts out.

This person's mother was a full blooded Apache, who was born in the Supers. She told her son that she was shown a cave on a particular mountain. She gave her son a vivid blue broken geode. She told him that should he decide to look for this cave, he would need to have that blue rock and know the correct prayers to gain entrance. That part is very close to a well known Apache (N-Deh) Story about finding the cave guarded by a rattlesnake. Females have to have a white stone, and males have to have a blue stone. They al;so needed to know the correct prayers, or the rattler would kill you. That is not the part I am referring to.

His story went on, that long after his mother died, he was in the Northern part of the US and broke. He wrote a bad check, and caught a bus to Arizona with a couple of bucks left. On this particular mountain (the one his mom told him about), when they started to dig for the cave, the soil changed abruptly at one point. It was rich and dark brown. They took a bucket of it to a Local College Geologist. They were told that this bucket was full of river bottom dirt, that was dug from a river channel. He could not fathom how it got to be near the top of a mountain. I believe that cave may be one that was hidden by the Apache (N-Deh).

Mike

nobodie

Jul 17, 2015
Phx. A.Z.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I heard a story about a blue and white stone, male and female and a special prayer, but I don't remember where. Maybe you told it before.

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
You won't find it online. Jack is having it printed in small runs. They are selling faster than he expected. The book presents a refreshing view of the issues.
Jack is now using [email protected]

Frank,

Received my copy from Jack today.

For those who are looking for clues that match many of the alleged Waltz clues, you won't want to miss this book. The Pit Mine starts, pretty much, with chapter 11. That being said, there is a wealth of good information from someone who knows the legends and the mountains very, very well. Kudo's to Jack on another fine addition to my library. You can all get in touch with and order a book from Jack here:
[email protected]

Take care,

Joe

Last edited:

nobodie

Jul 17, 2015
Phx. A.Z.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I may have missed it but has anyone sayed if the pit mine was covered when it was found and with what?

Ponchosportal

Nov 19, 2004
Primary Interest:
Other
I may have missed it but has anyone sayed if the pit mine was covered when it was found and with what?

I may be wrong of course ... but in many years reading here I do not believe I have ever seen it posted if the Pit Mine was covered when found. However, excavation in the area may reveal the answer to your question. Photos suggest excavation was required for/during the most recent exploitation.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread