Is the Pit Mine really the Lost Dutchman mine?

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
I may be wrong of course ... but in many years reading here I do not believe I have ever seen it posted if the Pit Mine was covered when found. However, excavation in the area may reveal the answer to your question. Photos suggest excavation was required for/during the most recent exploitation.

Any idea of exactly who first re-discovered it and how? That part seems to get glossed over.

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
I was told that the mine was covered when first re-discovered. It was not opened by the person who found it.

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was told that the mine was covered when first re-discovered. It was not opened by the person who found it.

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo

And then , how knew the person who found it the mine was covered in the LDM manner ?

nobodie

Jul 17, 2015
Phx. A.Z.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So no one knows how it was covered, and yet people call it the LDM. If it was not covered the way Holmes said it was than how can it be Waltz's mine. And does the PIT some how face west so the afternoon sun shines into it?

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So no one knows how it was covered, and yet people call it the LDM. If it was not covered the way Holmes said it was than how can it be Waltz's mine. And does the PIT some how face west so the afternoon sun shines into it?

As i wrote , none of the Waltz clues fits with the Pit mine .

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
As i wrote , none of the Waltz clues fits with the Pit mine .

I was told that is was azdave but my source is iffy. If that's true, the guy deserves some credit for the discovery. Come to think of it, having found it and loosing whatever was there might explain his obnoxious behavior here. Explain, not excuse.

nobodie

Jul 17, 2015
Phx. A.Z.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
According to Holmes description, the LDM is only 6 feet wide with a shelving that he laid logs criss crossing. Now if the pit mine is the pit that Waltz talked about is there any place that a tunnel could have been dug to make it easer to get to the gold that he filled in with rocks. This means the pit has to be on a mountain , hill , ridge to be a tunnel below. If it is then the one with the logs is near by, that is the one we should be still of looking for.

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
You should all get Jack San Felice's new book, "Lost El Dorado of Jacob Waltz". In the book are quoted clues and pictures that indicate the Pit Mine fits the legend.

AZDave is not the person who found, in modern times, the Pit Mine.

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hal,

Dave and I started off a little contentiously at first, but he is a good guy, and very knowledgeable. Happens a lot online, where you can't really tell how someone intends a comment to be taken. Like I used to be ready to whip Donald's (Pippinwhitepaws) Behind, until we met at the Rendezvous. After that, we got along famously until he passed away. Glad we met in person.

Mike

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Hal,

Dave and I started off a little contentiously at first, but he is a good guy, and very knowledgeable. Happens a lot online, where you can't really tell how someone intends a comment to be taken. Like I used to be ready to whip Donald's (Pippinwhitepaws) Behind, until we met at the Rendezvous. After that, we got along famously until he passed away. Glad we met in person.

Mike

A mutual friend that Dave and I share told me something similar recently. The problem is, his posts don't reflect it and while I enjoy challenging ideas and beliefs, especially my own, I don't see the need to insult and belittle other members and their ideas.

And doing so anonymously now?

Its a guessing game, for all of us until its not.

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
You should all get Jack San Felice's new book, "Lost El Dorado of Jacob Waltz". In the book are quoted clues and pictures that indicate the Pit Mine fits the legend.

AZDave is not the person who found, in modern times, the Pit Mine.

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo

Thanks for clearing that up cactusjumper.

nobodie

Jul 17, 2015
Phx. A.Z.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had read some where that the Peraltas had in-laws named Gonzalez and that they had a pit mine. And the Peraltas in Mexico didn't want to have anything to do with them, for leaving and not helping the Peraltas when they were attacked. The pit mine was suppose to be not to far away from the Peraltas mining area. Maybe the pit that has been found is the Gonzalez pit, might be why some of the clues match.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had read some where that the Peraltas had in-laws named Gonzalez and that they had a pit mine. And the Peraltas in Mexico didn't want to have anything to do with them, for leaving and not helping the Peraltas when they were attacked. The pit mine was suppose to be not to far away from the Peraltas mining area. Maybe the pit that has been found is the Gonzalez pit, might be why some of the clues match.

nobodie,

I believe you read that in Chuck Kenworthy's "Treasure Secrets of the Lost Dutchman" *INCLUDING INTERVIEWS WITH THE PERALTA GONZALEZ FAMILY

The story goes that most all the mines in the Supers belonged to the Peraltas. The Gonzalez Family only owned one mine in the Anza-Borrego Desert in SoCal. When a Gonzalez married a Peralta, they gave the couple a 35% ownership of one of their Superstition Gold Mines. Stop. Here is directly from the book:

ACCORDING TO THE DESCENDANTS OF THE PERALTAS AND GONZALEZ FAMILIES WHO I INTERVIEWED BEGINNING IN 1982.

It seems that there were eight (8) mines in the greater Phoenix Area that were worked/owned by the Peralta/Gonzalez Families. Two (2) of these mines were gold mines of near equal richness. The original Peralta Mine remained 100% owned by the Peralta Family. The other one was located by a Gonzalez wherein his locating/finding "bonus," (including marriage gifts from the Peraltas), gave the Gonzalez Family a 35% ownership of this mine. This second mine came to be known between the families, as the Gonzalez Mine even though the Peralta Family owned a majority share (65%) of this second mine. This was the funnel shaped mine..............THE DUTCHMAN MINE.

The third mine was owned solely by the Peraltas. It was some distance away from the major two mines and was of far less richness, however the Peraltas continued to allocate workers to mine it. This mine is on the Southern Edge of the mountains near what is known today as Miner's Needle.

The fourth mine (GOLD) was fully owned by the Gonzalez Family. The maps show this mine on the Nrth Side of the Salt River on a small hill in Mormon Flats, page 83.

The fifth and sixth Gonzalez Mines were along the Gila River. See TOPO and information on the "Gila River Mines" Chapter page 79.

.......................and a bunch more.

Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread