Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 109 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
Like Tree4151Likes

Thread: Is the Pit Mine really the Lost Dutchman mine?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    pw
    Apr 2003
    New Mexico
    BS
    1303 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubfan64 View Post
    ...It still amazes me to look at a photo like this because unless you experience trying to move around in that sort of environment, it looks like it should just be a casual stroll down through some brush to the location down below. Unfortunately, when you're there and really try it, you literally have to fight for every 10 feet in some cases. It can take hours to get somewhere you'd swear you could have thrown a rock to!!
    My credo is always, "Travel light," but if you can't find an open path and you're determined to fight your way through the buck brush, there's a choice to make: 1) beat yourself half to death; 2) carry a pair of pruning loppers to greatly facilitate your progress. Get the kind with the telescoping handles.

Quote Originally Posted by Cubfan64 View Post
    ... sometimes I wonder what I'm actually looking for out there, and you're right, that maybe it's just the search . I can't think of a better place to search - ...
    That's what Pedro de Castaneda said too, following the Coronado Expedition: "Granted that they did not find the riches of which they had been told, they found a place in which to search for them." At least when you return home you won't fare as poorly as Coronado did.
    ​Adios, amigos - it's been interesting.

mx
    Nov 2004
    Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
    11735 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Ladies & Gentlemen: somewhere I have a picture of a mine shaft, I will look for it. the shaft exits in plain sight, but no where is there any sign of the excavated barren rock. Where is it? As a result, during the rainy season, it is quite dangerous since two or three steps out of the surrounding brush and your life expectancy is greatly shortened = long way down with no way back up if somehow you survive the entry.

If it was in the states I wonder how many quads would be / are are at the bottom with their drivers??

Don Jose de La Mancha
    "I exist to live, not live to exist"

us
    Sep 2012
    Apache Junction
    113 times
    Quote Originally Posted by somehiker View Post
    While I'm sure things like that happened, especially in Waltz's day, I tend towards the "Waltz hears miners breaking rock .

Would you be up to checking this out? Go to the very end of the "box" where we were watching the coyote in the cave. You will see a sloping ledge going down from right to left, from the top almost to the bottom. The ledge ends below and to the right of the "teepee" mark. From the "camp" with the old ironwoods you may be able to see some letters above the ledge, about halfway down. Might be worth checking out the area below the lower end of that ledge. But I doubt you'll want to do the ledge itself....
    "The Mexican miners that Waltz jumped" That is what i tend towards as far as how Waltz got it- I was saying the Mexicans and most likely Spaniards/Jesuits before them probably first discovered the gold with the help of natives.

"Would you be up to checking this out?" Was up in there when you an frank went around the back side of the mountain that day.....Yep will go in at some point an poke around again and take you some good pictures of the whole ledge.
    RG1976 likes this.

Feb 2004
    Mesa Arizona
    2855 times
    Mining Map of Arizona from 1881. A close up of the mineralized area east of the mountain. The map shows most well know areas in Az at the time. A simple question? Why would you spend years searching a barren area of the mountain where nothing much has ever been found. Waltz who was not on his death bed when he told his friend Frank the mine was off Pinto creek near Iron mountain. Waltz wanted Frank to partner with him. Two stories. One from a man in his prime asking a fellow German for help. Or one from a old sick afraid man needing care on his death bed. Time for a new set of clues don't you think. Ill go with Waltz the prospector clues. Clues that lead into a area with gold and silver. Lots of it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-3341117481.jpg 
Views:	390 
Size:	577.8 KB 
ID:	906931

Name:	image-2486019639.jpg 
Views:	316 
Size:	616.1 KB 
ID:	906932

Feb 2004
    Mesa Arizona
    2855 times
    How many years has it been debated where the LDM may be located. We now have a possible location. I must admit I'm a bit disappointed a group has not attempted to search the Pitt area (not for gold) for artifacts that may indicate this is a possible site of the LDM. Anyone who has spent time at a site will leave items behind. Does not mater if it is the Spanish, Mexicans or Waltz. The items can be dated. It's apparent this Pitt was worked over the years by different groups. It is reported the Pitt was covered with logs under dirt. Are the logs still at the site? Was anything ever found near the base camp area. Did anyone ever bother to look. Someone that knows what they are doing with a good detector can find these items. I should know I've done it in the past. What about other hidden cache sites. I know Jack found one where the rocks had been put back in place. I've heard there are those who went over the mine dump with detectors. From what I've seen of the samples a regular detector won't pick up the rock contents. A Falcon will. That is what they were designed for. A hidden cache. I have a one of a kind heavily modded Minelab and a 25" coil that will pick up a truck engine at 12 ft. I was using the Minelab to go over a 6 foot pile of quartz with a 6" coil and picked up a ammo can at 6 foot Now I know the area is covered with heavy brush. In some spots this would need to be cleared first. I hate that type brush. Snake heaven. I've seen rattlers up in that type brush waiting to snag a bird.
    I just find the whole thing very odd. I know at least most of you are not arm chair Thunters. True some are old and some live in other areas. Some have been to the site. What about the rest of you? Perhaps it's time for a new expedition.

donald peterson

Jan 2013
    somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
    Whites prism III
    1961 times
    Relic Hunting
    iron mountain burned up back in 1967 or so...big fire...the brush moved in after the oak and other fauna burned off.wasn't all that difficult to move about in before then...
    cactusjumper likes this.

Dec 2005
    Arizona
    4863 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pippinwhitepaws View Post
    iron mountain burned up back in 1967 or so...big fire...the brush moved in after the oak and other fauna burned off.wasn't all that difficult to move about in before then...
    Donald,

Iron Mountain is not the location of the Pit Mine.

Hope you had a good Thanksgiving.

Take care,

Joe

donald peterson

Jan 2013
    somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
    Whites prism III
    1961 times
    Relic Hunting
    ok..but the big fire burned the area around iron mountain...
    perhaps i should drive down an go look at this pit. use my education for something beside boring dutch hunters at dinner
    above rogers trough?

Feb 2004
    Mesa Arizona
    2855 times
    My old 3-D topo program shows it W of a Iron mountain map reference. Yes I'm working up a map for the location just in case I can get a group off their ass for the next episode of the naked prospector. Or in this case the naked Dutch hunter. I have producer friends from gold show Alaska and they may have a interest. We will need some popcorn girls though to maintain interest in the show. Ill bring a extra big sleeping bag in case they get cold!

Name:	image-365900009.jpg 
Views:	282 
Size:	705.0 KB 
ID:	907018

us
    Jan 2012
    Pinal Mountains,Arizona
    Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD. White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013 Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
    515 times
    Prospecting
    Somero and I are in. He has a 4X4 pick up.
    I have a Garrett groundhog,7.5 coil and 10.5 coil, and a Goldmaster V/sat.
    We can go up light at first with no Mds if ya want.
    Somero and I where in the area last month.

Somero you in?
    Somero likes this.

Feb 2004
    Mesa Arizona
    2855 times
    The LDM expedition is gathering. Perhaps best to meet to discuss after membership is final. Lets get a list of those interested.

um
    Nemo me impune lacesset

Jan 2005
    DAKOTA TERRITORY
    Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
    6926 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtfda View Post
    The LDM expedition is gathering. Perhaps best to meet to discuss after membership is final. Lets get a list of those interested.
    Count me out - too far away; also, I think it may be very premature to call it the "LDM expedition" when you are heading up to look at a mine in an area that was known to have over two dozen silver mines and not one gold mine. Gold was found in some of them, but they were basically silver mines. I noticed that no one has offered an assay result from ore from the Pit mine. I don't expect that the assay would match, assays from ore samples vary considerably, however one feature would be a high gold to silver ratio. Gold veins from silver mines usually have quite a lot of silver in with them - and Waltz's ore had very little silver in it compared to the gold.

The fact that the Pit mine is located in the area where so many other active claims were being worked in the late 1870s is a huge red flag for me, if that were really the LDM, then it stands to reason that Waltz should have been extremely nervous about others being in his area digging, and he would have no further reason to avoid filing a claim on his mine.

One thing too - if you find a rich pocket of gold, or for some of us, of silver, (I know some of you would not deign to soil yourselves by packing out worthless silver) but if you go out looking for a lost mine and find a rich deposit of precious metals, does it really matter if it was the LDM or another mine? For myself, that is not an issue - however please do continue with the case for the Pit mine being the LDM.

Oroblanco
    SUPPORT THE BEEF INDUSTRY - EAT BEEF
    "We must find a way, or we will make one."--Hannibal Barca

us
    Sep 2012
    Apache Junction
    113 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtfda View Post
    IM IN FRANK....FALCON, ACE, WHITES..pans, shovels.....4x4....i gotz it!

us
    Feb 2006
    New Hampshire - USA
    Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
    1611 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Yet another reason I wish I lived in AZ
    "There is no getting away from a treasure that once fastens upon your mind" - Joseph Conrad (Nostromo)

Feb 2004
    Mesa Arizona
    2855 times
    Roy. You never know on these things. Now lets say we find a 45lc casing from the period and a napkin from the ice cream shop. Name a other pinpointed area. We will check it. I was nugget shooting and I found a rare shell casing. 100 feet away I fount the bullet that was fired from that casing. What is nice in this area things don't sink into soft dirt. It's all rock.
    Tim your in. One thing this time of year the weather is perfect. I'm going to run this past Jack and see if he may be interested in some involvement. Paul you can jump in when you get out this way. This won't be done in a day. Perhaps we can clean up the area while we're at it. We will need to clean out the junk anyway to get at any old items.

Page 3 of 109 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links