Is the Pit Mine really the Lost Dutchman mine?

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jim,

I have been given permission to post excerpts from the manuscript, it was apparently written by Andy Syndbad, and is based on an oral recounting he received in 1953. But until the discussion returns to topic, I have no interest in contributing further.

Thanks for the info deducer - maybe you can start your own thread. I never met Andy Syndbad but have heard and read a bit about him - I think he spent some time in the Dacite Mine / Carney Spring area.

I wonder if the "Syn Doad" inscription is actually "Syndbad"?

By the way - I DID take your advice about using the ignore function and it definitely is worth it :)

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
jim...andy was german and he spoke german so him and herman got along right off the bat....herman told andy everything he knew before he died (not just the spewl that he gave the tourist's but the facts as he knew them)...he also told andy that he passed this info onto him because andy never asked him what the dutchman said...everyone else that showed up at hermans place was only there to learn what herman knew....not to visit herman so he fed them full of b.s...andy was his friend and helped herman alot so he repaid andy and passed the torch before he died

OK...now this is starting to ring a bell...I don't know how you guys can remember all this stuff...Hey on another note, was trying to talk my Uncle into taking his new truck up for a Tip-Top mine run and then up to Crown King in May...you may know him, he hangs out with Woody sometimes...anyway I haven't been out there for awhile and was planning on checking some mine dumps (if they're not all claimed up again) was wondering if you might feel like going...if so I'll txt ya once everything gets ironed out.

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Dave,

Andy Syndbad is interesting. Probably be a good idea to ask Tom Kollenborn about him, as he knew him. The stories that seem to touch on him are strange to say the least.

Take care,

Joe

Thanks for the tip, Joe. Took me awhile to find it. Best, Jim

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Andy probably knew that Waltz died before Herman came down from Montana. Don't believe Waltz could have told him anything.

Take care,

Joe
..lol...that could be..but whatever herman knew...he got from his brother and julia...and the truth be told..whatever info julia and rhiney got from waltz didnt help them find squat...maybe because they had never done any mining and didn't know what to look for once they got in the area..or old waltz was too senile or sick to make any sense..but one thing is for sure...whatever herman knew ..he got it from rhiney and Julia

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Dave,

Andy Syndbad is interesting. Probably be a good idea to ask Tom Kollenborn about him, as he knew him. The stories that seem to touch on him are strange to say the least.

Take care,

Joe[/QUOTE

joe..i got my info from a better source than tom....a friend of mine befriended andy toward the end of his life and whatever andy knew ..he passed the torch to my friend....i cant divulge his name because he is still kicking and actively searching for the ldm

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
..lol...that could be..but whatever herman knew...he got from his brother and julia...and the truth be told..whatever info julia and rhiney got from waltz didnt help them find squat...maybe because they had never done any mining and didn't know what to look for once they got in the area..or old waltz was too senile or sick to make any sense..but one thing is for sure...whatever herman knew ..he got it from rhiney and Julia

I think it quite likely Herman also added things that others told him, at least whatever he thought might fit his version of the puzzle.
And he was probably aware of much of the history of mining throughout the area, including that of the mines along that ridge.
After all, he had become and remained a "local" for a long time....until his passing on.

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
I think it quite likely Herman also added things that others told him, at least whatever he thought might fit his version of the puzzle.
And he was probably aware of much of the history of mining throughout the area, including that of the mines along that ridge.
After all, he had become and remained a "local" for a long time....until his passing on.

wayne..for sure herman would ad-lib to the story....ldm hunters would bring food and beer to entice herman to talk..but he only told them what he wanted them to hear...and he was definitely well aware of the mining near iron mountain

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
lol...if you guys would post something interesting we wouldn't have to beat up on each other:occasion14:

It may seem harmless to you, but it's exactly what ruined the old LDM forum where the trolls would invariably show up after a great discussion got going in one of the threads, then the posters started responding to the trolls, and the thread, and I mean literally every thread got derailed. It drove away the giants of LDM research, like Peter, Roger, and Steve, to name a few.

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other
It may seem harmless to you, but it's exactly what ruined the old LDM forum where the trolls would invariably show up after a great discussion got going in one of the threads, then the posters started responding to the trolls, and the thread, and I mean literally every thread got derailed. It drove away the giants of LDM research, like Peter, Roger, and Steve, to name a few.

Who are these giants Peter, Roger, and Steve you speak of, I never heard of them, But I think the only time things get derailed, is when someone questions the status Quo! That seems to be a theme here.

BM1

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008

i have been in ron's old forum since about 2004...i was there when it fell apart...it wasnt really from people poking fun at each other...there was a whole lot more involved than that..there were a few personal feuds going on back then...as far as i can tell nobody on this forum has any bad thoughts about other members...if you were in ron's forum i don't remember seeing you there..unless you went by another name...i use the same name in all the forums i'm in

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
i have been in ron's old forum since about 2004...i was there when it fell apart...it wasnt really from people poking fun at each other...there was a whole lot more involved than that..there were a few personal feuds going on back then...as far as i can tell nobody on this forum has any bad thoughts about other members...if you were in ron's forum i don't remember seeing you there..unless you went by another name...i use the same name in all the forums i'm in

I have never gone by any other username than deducer. My only involvement with the LDM forum is that when I did my initial research, I read every thread in that forum, and most of them more than once or twice.

The pattern is the same, pretty much most of the time- a troll gets involved and the thread quickly derails, killing off the discussion (as it does here, sometimes).

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the info deducer - maybe you can start your own thread. I never met Andy Syndbad but have heard and read a bit about him - I think he spent some time in the Dacite Mine / Carney Spring area.

I wonder if the "Syn Doad" inscription is actually "Syndbad"?

By the way - I DID take your advice about using the ignore function and it definitely is worth it :)

Paul,

You are absolutely correct- the spelling is in fact Syndbad. My mistake for misreading it- everything is handwritten and not easily decipherable.

Anyway, I was only going to quote the parts of it as it pertains to the discussion I was having with Marius- as far as it pertains to the Peraltas involvement in the mountains, and the scope of their operations- it was quite massive. So I'm not sure it justifies a completely new thread. There are many interesting things in the manuscript including the fact that the LDM was actually called the "Padre's mine" by the Mexicans. It predated their presence in the Superstitions.

Fair warning to Jim and others, the manuscript, while it is a fascinating story that contains many details, doesn't contain any information about the LDM itself, nor does it offer any explosive clues. It did confirm several suspicions that I had about how exactly the Peraltas came to be in the Superstitions. Let's say they had a little "divine" assistance, so to speak.

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Paul,

You are absolutely correct- the spelling is in fact Syndbad. My mistake for misreading it- everything is handwritten and not easily decipherable.

Anyway, I was only going to quote the parts of it as it pertains to the discussion I was having with Marius- as far as it pertains to the Peraltas involvement in the mountains, and the scope of their operations- it was quite massive. So I'm not sure it justifies a completely new thread. There are many interesting things in the manuscript including the fact that the LDM was actually called the "Padre's mine" by the Mexicans. It predated their presence in the Superstitions.

Fair warning to Jim and others, the manuscript, while it is a fascinating story that contains many details, doesn't contain any information about the LDM itself, nor does it offer any explosive clues. It did confirm several suspicions that I had about how exactly the Peraltas came to be in the Superstitions. Let's say they had a little "divine" assistance, so to speak.

for those not familiar with andy synbad..he lived on apache trail north of the mammoth mine...he spent his life looking for treasure in the mountains...he financed his hunts by holding yard sales on his property....he is probably most well known for his involvement in the excavation of the spiral staircase on the southwest face on the superstition mountain

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other
Deducer

If the syndbad manuscript is based on information passed on by Petrash, What would make you believe the Peralta's were
even involved in the Lost Dutchman's Mine. All the Peralta stuff came after most likely after Petrash passed. That would make one to believe the author embellished the manuscript.

babymick1

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tread lightly babymick1...You're contradicting their gospel...They just may call you a troll and ignore you...lol

Last edited:

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Paul,

And so "dies" the Syn Doad manuscript...the Syndbad manuscript still sounds like a good read, though.

Link to Tom K.'s blog on same subject:
Tom Kollenborn Chronicles: Andy Syndbad's Revolver

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well GN ya'll...It has been another uneventful day of gospel reading in the world according to the misinformed seekers of the LDM...Or should I say the informed seekers of the LDM???Oh well...Maybe one day one of ya'll may actually find something that ya'll can post that just might be worth reading...Not John Smith stated, or so Jack Jones said that John Smith stated...Or so I have heard or I have been told by so on and so forth...lol...

Well then again I may be wrong...Shoot...That just may be how legends continue to persist...rofl

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other
Tread lightly babymick1...You're contradicting their gospel...They just may call you a troll and ignore you...lol

Well it all started simple, Waltz dies, gives Julia how to find he's Mine. She looks for it, the news papers of the day prove it. Holmes jumps in there no mention of Peralta's,
Travis finds maps kept them mostly to himself, What made public by Moel, 1973
Moel solicited funds to search for the Treasure, Then what after al these people pass, Ohh Travis tried to use the fake maps to solicit funds, 2016 the mother of all misguided accounts by Ryan and often supported by Frank, Travis was
dishonest and faked the maps. It's how one simple thing morphed into a mess so distorted from its original story.

babymick1

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's The Time Line For The Dutchman's Mine, 1891

Time Line For The Stone Maps, 1949

The rest is garbage.

So What's left to search for Dutchman's Mine Clues pertaining to the original time frame. 1891
and the Stones, The symbols on them.

babymick1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread