ANyone know & willing to share "Pipps hiding place"...

Curious_George

Jul 15, 2013
MN
Primary Interest:
Other
ANyone know & willing to share "Pipp's hiding place"...

On pg 32 of Thomas Glover's Holmes MS, there is a picture of Brownie Holmes at what he considered to be "Pipp's hiding place," which was stated as being located across from and in sight of the LDM.

Anyone willing to share thoughts/ info about the location of this place that Brownie believed was Pipp's hiding place?

George

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
George,

I doubt Brownie had any idea where the LDM was. He, like many Dutch Hunters searched all over the place. They heard a new story or clue, and started a new search. Not at home right now but will check the manuscript this evening. Believe Thomas did not follow the manuscript to the letter for his book.

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
George,

The only information of the location of the area where Pipps found the LDM, was in Jack San Felice's book, "When Silver Was King". On page 231, Jack writes ".....he observed an old man working an outcropping, in a rough mountain area somewhere north of Miners Needle". It would appear the source for this story is said to be Dick Holmes.

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo

Jan 6, 2010
George

Pipps (Phipps?) hiding place was supposedly across the canyon from the pit area where Waltz worked the mine. It may have been a shallow cave or rock overhang which was hidden by the contours of the land , along with some strategically placed boulders/rocks at the entrance. If the stories are to be believed , Pipps was close enough to read anger on Waltzs face when he discovered the area was disturbed by someone else on one of his trips in. Is the clue valid? Who knows. One more thing..the hiding place had "holes" in the ceiling. Good luck.

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok,but Pipp never got any gold from it did he?
Is there any record of this Pipp guy?
Say a true name or such.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
One alternate spelling is Phipps; he claimed to have sneaked into the LDM and stolen some gold, nearly got caught and would not return while Waltz was alive.

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok,so just another I was there person with no proof.
Oh well,thanks for the responses.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Ok,so just another I was there person with no proof.
Oh well,thanks for the responses.

In Phipps defense, his death might be the strongest evidence that he did know where the mine was located. According to the story, he had camped with some cowboys by a stream (I cannot recall the name of the stream) and decided to try a little panning; he was working by a deep hole with a cut bank, and the cut bank fell in on him; he screamed for help from the cowboys whom were stunned, and promised to show them the richest gold mine in the world if they could only save him. They did not manage to save him in time as he drowned. So who knows?

Another point that helps was in his story, that he was hiding in his spot, and watched the Dutchman leave then sneaked down to steal some gold. He heard something and spotted the Dutchman coming back, so he ran and hid; he said that the way that Dutchman looked, he would not return to that place again while Waltz lived, which has something of the ring of truth to it. But as you said, no gold to show that I know of either.

Gregory E. Davis

Oct 22, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Detector(s) used
eyeball it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning Gentlemen: "Who is Pipp's" See the article "Pipps, 'Dutch' John Monk, and The Lost Dutchman Gold Mine" in the Superstition Mountain Journal, Volume 13, 1995, page 34-39. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
How would I or where do I go to read this article or section of these journals.
I googled it and came up with a few possibilities.
The superstition mountain museum being one.
So I will have to check and see what they have for these papers or such.
I know a lady who works there and is a friend.

Garry

Apr 19, 2009
Good morning Gentlemen: "Who is Pipp's" See the article "Pipps, 'Dutch' John Monk, and The Lost Dutchman Gold Mine" in the Superstition Mountain Journal, Volume 13, 1995, page 34-39. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

Greg Davis is the author and this is a "great" article. He includes 5 accounts of the story with 3 of them from contemporary newspapers who published articles of the incident, a firsthand account by Frank Alkire and of course the Dick Holmes story from the Brownie Holmes manuscript. Sadly, the Holmes account seems to be the primary one that treasurehunters pick up on and they miss "the rest of the story". The Holme's account is readily available and it ties the story to Jacob Waltz.

Dr. Glover and Paul Shimek, along with the Superstition Mountain Historical Society and others have put together DVDs that include the first 20 years of Superstition Mountain Journal. Roughly about 1981 to 2001. They cover a "lot" of ground regarding the LDM.

It is well worth the price if anyone is interested in the background, stories and tales surrounding the Superstition Mountains. I'm sure there are well over 100 different articles (My "very" rough math.) It could be over 500 depending on how you count. :)

My wife and I visited the Superstition Museum this spring and I was trying to fill in some of the missing issues of the SMJ from the past 10 to 12 years. There do have some miscellaneous issues for sale but they apparently didn't have several issues. (it was a hectic place though) I know it is asking a lot but it would certainly be great if these later issues could also be saved for posterity in digital format.:wink:

Garry

Last edited:

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Curious George

I believe the Pipp's hidden lookout was in the blue square . Across is the horse head stone mark which is close to the LDM . All this are north from Weaver's Needle and south from Maricopa County .

pipps lookout.jpg

Good luck

Somero

Sep 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Curious George

I believe the Pipp's hidden lookout was in the blue square . Across is the horse head stone mark which is close to the LDM . All this are north from Weaver's Needle and south from Maricopa County .

View attachment 1001448

Good luck

118.jpg

119.jpg

Interesting location Marius :hello:

Last edited:

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Yes , it is . Congratulation ! You are very close . If you are willing to search , I could give you the exact location for a quick approach .

Marius,

Can you tell us the size and direction the horse is looking? Also, what the approximate size of the cave opening is?

Thanks,

Joe

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marius,

Can you tell us the size and direction the horse is looking? Also, what the approximate size of the cave opening is?

Thanks,

Joe

Joe

I can't tell now because Eric is very close . I want to give him an opportunity to find the mine , of course if he want and he trust me . Now the tangle starts unfolding .

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Joe

I can't tell now because Eric is very close . I want to give him an opportunity to find the mine , of course if he want and he trust me . Now the tangle starts unfolding .

Marius,

Telling us the size and direction the horse is looking, as well as the approximate size of the cave opening will not put anyone closer to the location. The Supe's are fairly large, for a man on foot.

That being said, it's your call.

Good luck,

Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions