Bita and Pieces

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Nde Hatalii,

I don't believe anyone really cares about the story behind the Ely book and why there was such secrecy beginning with the Ely family and Wm. Morrow who conspired together to keep the co-authors name secret. <snip>
Matthew

Well I am interested in the story behind Ely's book, and know several others with the same interest. What I find puzzling is your reversal here about who/whom authored the book; you never answered my question to you some time ago on your statement. Did you change your view, or was that early post a mistake? We all make mistakes, I make more than my fair share, and since you seem to not wish to address this I won't bother you further about it.

Thank you to everyone for the information provided.
Oroblanco

OP
OP
T

TEGlover

Jan 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As noted: “The simple fact is spelling has never been one of my strong points – I sometimes seem to follow Thomas Jefferson’s “advice” or whatever: Those who spell words only one way lack imagination.”

In fact, sometimes when typing I will look at the screen and a word I know well just all of a sudden looks “wrong” and I have to check it. I somewhat envy Matthew’s spelling as in the letters and such of his I have he seems to have the gift of the right “spelling genes.” For the rest of us, two thumbs up for Spell Checkers !!

This thread, however, seems to be going in a direction that may not contribute to illuminating an aspect of the Dutchman legend, i.e., Ely’s book. The purpose of the thread was simply to share some of my good fortune concerning information/data that has come my way.

What is important to me is the data, e.g., the letters from William Morrow and Co. and from John Wiley and Sons, and/or info. from the Ely family. If my spelling has raised an issue or caused a difficulty all I can say is it not the first time. I regret if it has caused any miscommunication.

At this point I feel it is probably best to close the thread in a day or so. For as we all know the Dutchman has been obfuscated more than enough. It does not need more.

Wish I had stayed the course of not posting again. (A path I will now follow assiduously.)

TE Glover

PS: Some might be interested in the below (it provides a bit of solace for some of us):

Genetic influences on reading and spelling ability and disability:

Abstract
The reading skills of 285 pairs of 13-year-old twins drawn from the general population were studied. The twins were independently tested using standardized measures of intelligence, reading and spelling ability. The genetic contribution to reading ability was assessed by examination of correlations in monozygotic (MZ) and same-sex dizygotic (DZ) twins, and by analysing differences between MZ and DZ twins in concordance of reading disability rates. The results suggested that, at this age, genetic factors play only a moderate role in general reading backwardness or specific reading ******ation. However, when spelling ability was investigated, a heritability of 0.53 was obtained, increasing to 0.75 when intelligence was controlled. Strong genetic influences on spelling were also found when concordance rates for spelling disability were compared for MZ and DZ pairs. (A twin study of genetic influence... [J Child Psychol Psychiatry. 1987] - PubMed - NCBI)

Abstract
The reading skills of 285 pairs of 13-year-old twins drawn from the general population were studied. The twins were independently tested using standardized measures of intelligence, reading and spelling ability. The genetic contribution to reading ability was assessed by examination of correlations in monozygotk: (MZ) and student-sex dizygotic (DZ) twins, and by analysing differences bi Mccen MZ and DZ twins in concordance of reading disability rates. The results suggested that, at this age, genetic factors play only a moderate role in general reading backwardness or specific reading ******ation. However, when spelling ability was investigated, a heritability of 0.53 was obtained, increasing to 0.75 when intelligence was controlled. Strong genetic influences on spelling were also found when concordance rates for spelling disability were compared for MZ and DZ pairs. (onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1469-7610.1987.tb00207.x/abstract)

Last edited:

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Nde Hatalii,

I don't believe anyone really cares about the story behind the Ely book and why there was such secrecy beginning with the Ely family and Wm. Morrow who conspired together to keep the co-authors name secret. The focus by the same old group is to misrepresent what is said, twist the interpretation to fit their agenda, argue, fight and attack. Nothing new.

Since English isn't your native language and you don't understand the use of the words in the comments, here is something you will understand and sums up my final feelings on the issue. Akoh. Go dakehego nohwich' 'i' hasdzih, akoh.

Matthew

Matthew,

You are correct that "The focus by the same old group is to misrepresent what is said, twist the interpretation to fit their agenda, fight and attack. Nothing new." Just curious, is that somewhat akin to making up stories and representing them as history? That seems to me to be a serious misrepresentation.

There seems to be an effort here, to discredit Dr. Glover and his upcoming book?:dontknow: I believe many of the posters here might believe the same agenda is at play. On the other hand, I'm personally happy that you have stated your "final feelings on the issue."

Joe Ribaudo

Nde Hatalii

Greenie
Feb 5, 2008
HOME OF THE THUNDER GODS
Primary Interest:
Other
Nde Hatalii,

I don't believe anyone really cares about the story behind the Ely book and why there was such secrecy beginning with the Ely family and Wm. Morrow who conspired together to keep the co-authors name secret. The focus by the same old group is to misrepresent what is said, twist the interpretation to fit their agenda, argue, fight and attack. Nothing new.

Since English isn't your native language and you don't understand the use of the words in the comments, here is something you will understand and sums up my final feelings on the issue. Akoh. Go dakehego nohwich' 'i' hasdzih, akoh.

Matthew

You believe wrong thinking no one really cares about that story. Instead it will just become another secret and conspiracy lurking under the bed that only a select few will ever hear about just like so much of the rest of the information unable to be shared with common folk. All a silly game of "I know something you don't know."

regarding your final feelings on the issue, i guess it is what it is.

Somero

Sep 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am glad Dr. Glover shared some information with us and I also understand his reluctance to post on a public forum.
Looking forward to the book :occasion14:

Very sad that some need to conspire to have conspiracy theories surround their opinions. Remember, you can't spell conspiracy without piracy.

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Eric,

A lot of people are looking forward to Dr. Glover's next two books. I would say there may be one or two folks out there who are not so anxious for them to hit the market.

Take care,

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions