Williams Camp

John_Arizona

Jan 30, 2013
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Spanish Death Rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Does anyone know how Williams Camp at the south end of Bluff Spring mountain got it's name ?
Who was William or Williams ? Did Crazy Jake have a camp there ?
Who would I ask that might know about place names in the superstitions ?

Goldmine

Tom Vann @ A&B Prospecting Store in Mesa

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Does anyone know how Williams Camp at the south end of Bluff Spring mountain got it's name ?

Goldmine

Goldmine,

The natural guess would be Charles Williams, but that's not 100%. The site was said to have been first worked by Adam Stewart in the 20's. Linesba worked it later on. Tom Kollenborn would be the man to ask.

Joe Ribaudo

OP
OP
G

Goldmine

Dec 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will try and get ahold of Tom Vann and Tom Kollenborn, one or both should know the answers.
Was Charles Williams a cowboy? miner? rancher?

Gregory E. Davis

Oct 22, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Detector(s) used
eyeball it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good evening Goldmine: You can find the story of Charles Williams starting with the Phoenix Gazette and Arizona Republic, January 5th. 1935 and going to January 12th. and a few stories beyond that date. Also in "Peoples Magazine of Arizona", Volume II, No. 1, November, 1939. However, I cannot confirm if this is the same Williams, as "Williams Camp". Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

Gregory E. Davis

Oct 22, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Detector(s) used
eyeball it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
P.S. Goldmine: If Williams had a camp where the maps indicate, there is a good chance he had a mining claim in the area. If so there would be a record of it at the Recorders Office. You may want to look at their Books of Mines to see if Williams had a claim at that location. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other

Goldmine

Special Collections at either ASU or the University of Arizona. May even be online?

OP
OP
G

Goldmine

Dec 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Special Collections at either ASU or the University of Arizona. May even be online?

Thanks all for the suggestions, Im looking into all these places. Book of mines and ASU special collections, two more good leads !

Goldmine

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Charlie Williams Superstitions.JPG

Photo of Charley Williams and his family from the 1935 Arizona Republican newspaper article Gregory mentioned earlier in this thread.

Personally I do not know if the Williams camp on the south side of Bluff Spring Mt. was called that because of Charley Williams or not. I'm 95% sure it was but cannot confirm it. The area is connected with Williams so one would have to put some weight with that argument. Crazy Jake told me it was named for either Tex Barkley or his son Bill, I don't recall which, who were both named William. I don't know where Jake got that from but he was good friends with Bill Barkley so maybe he was right ? The Charles Williams story is an interesting one, Gregory knows it better that I do, maybe he will tell that story here. I never put much stock personally in Williams gold but strange things happen in those mountains.

Matthew

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
All,

Tom Kollenborn called me over the weekend and we had a long talk. I did ask him about Williams Camp, and he did not have an answer as to who it was named for. If Tom doesn't know, I doubt anyone else has a satisfactory answer.

They are in good health and Bucky is the best dog they ever had.:dog:I have to agree.....He's a good boy!

Joe Ribaudo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread