Examples of Superstition Mountain gold

jim beam

Greenie
Mar 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting history and knowledge you all seem to have.
Im more of the Larry the cable guy, when it comes to remembering history lol.
Come to think of it more, methinks it was a bell made out of gold, that bandits stolen and stashed up there in the mountains. Far as anyone knows, it never been recovered.

Jim

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
And we know this ... how?

If it exists, as described in legend, and if it was still trading at $1842oz at the time of recovery, it would be "easily" worth the cost. However, that's a lot of ifs.

If a substantial find of gold is made one day in the Superstitions and the discovery made public, I think that you will see general pandemonium. It would be a nightmare for the Department of the Interior.

The reality of the situation is this. If a rich hidden gold mine is rediscovered and the find reported, the finder will never see one dime of it. So, why report it? Take out what you need, conceal it again, and quietly live life well.

I suspect that this has happened several times over the years however, on a much smaller scale.

Last edited:

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And we know this ... how?

Which part?

I know the bell is a different story. Ref: Father Rojas Silver Bell

From Waltz' description of his mine: :His mine could make twenty men millionaires. Even if exaggerated, that would indeed be a rich mine. Judging by the Match Safe (which also agrees with his description) the best of the ore is about 30% gold. Maybe you can explain a way that (if found) it would not be worth recovery?

Tell you what, you go out into any mountain range and find a vein showing 30% visible gold, then come tell me about it. I don't care what mountain range it is in, I will spend the time, effort, and whatever money it takes to recover it.

Mike

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
Which part?

I know the bell is a different story. Ref: Father Rojas Silver Bell

From Waltz' description of his mine: :His mine could make twenty men millionaires. Even if exaggerated, that would indeed be a rich mine. Judging by the Match Safe (which also agrees with his description) the best of the ore is about 30% gold. Maybe you can explain a way that (if found) it would not be worth recovery?

Tell you what, you go out into any mountain range and find a vein showing 30% visible gold, then come tell me about it. I don't care what mountain range it is in, I will spend the time, effort, and whatever money it takes to recover it.

Mike

So much faith is required. You must believe that Waltz said that AND that it was sorta accurate. Is there good evidence? And then, why wasn't he a millionaire? Is there some proof of where that match box gold came from?

And even if it existed in the SWA that secret tunnel to get it out from under the FS peeps would be pricey :D

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other
So much faith is required. You must believe that Waltz said that AND that it was sorta accurate. Is there good evidence? And then, why wasn't he a millionaire? Is there some proof of where that match box gold came from?

And even if it existed in the SWA that secret tunnel to get it out from under the FS peeps would be pricey :D

I don't see, FAITH IS REQUIRED! Waltz moved to the salt river location to retire. Raise some chickens what ever,to get by, maybe some odd jobs now and then. Then things changed, cashing in gold ore, gifting Julia to help her out in a small town things like that travel real fast. People believed he had a mine some where they follow him some spent there whole life searching. These were people who new him or of him who were convinced he had a gold mine. Times have changed from now till then, you can store your money pretty save now days back then a man of money would be a target every bushwhacker would surely target. So flaunt your money would not be to smart.

So now if you found it, a thirty pound back pack of gold ore a day would set you up damm good. That would be around 12000 pounds a year.

Wrmickel1

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Couldn't be further from the truth if you tried. I won't go into all the details that have been found in the last twenty or so years that lend more believe ability to the LDM.

Also, doesn't matter where it is, the fact that it was a working mine previous to the 1984 Wilderness Act that made the SWA, trumps that act. The only issue is that the mine was not previously officially located. Let the lawyers figure that out. But an 18" vein of 30% visible gold, I will take the chance!

Mike

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Asking questions here is research, though limited by certain people being a certain way. But thanks for your part in not advancing knowledge.

CN,

The part you aren't getting is that 99% of this same information has been hashed and rehashed over and over on a couple of different forums, as well as in person at LDM Rendezvous and such. When we answer those same questions for people just getting into the debate, we feel like it is not our responsibility to provide page, paragraph, and line where the information came from (since it has been rehashed so many times). Some of the more obscure information I don't mind going through the gory details, but things like "What Jacob Waltz said to Rhiney and Julia about his mine..." and the like are well known and all over the internet, so we feel you should be able to invest a little more of your time as we have over the many years we have been involved in researching to get the basic info.

Like when someone asks about the Pit Mine. Not many people outside Apache Junction know anything about it, and we understand info is tough to come by. But, if you want book, page, paragraph, and line for what Jake said to Rhiney and Julia, thats on you because its out there.

Mike

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Asking questions here is research, though limited by certain people being a certain way. But thanks for your part in not advancing knowledge.

Ill advance knowledge all day long for someone I feel is willing to put In their part. You come off here like you want everything handed to you. That's not gonna happen little buddy. Put in some effort, and stop being so conforntational and accusing. It will get you a long ways.

Go read some books. Go to the library, it's free. There's another forum with answers to the basic questions. Start there.

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010

You are dead on. Questions are the first step to researching any topic.
It's an art form here on TNet, formulating them that is, and you need both thick skin and a sifter to make any headway.

Unfortunately, many questions that are asked here on TNet just feel insincere. For most, there is simply no motivation to respond. That is not directed at you,

But, keep asking.

PS. A little courtesy never hurts. : )

Tread Lightly!

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
I don't see, FAITH IS REQUIRED! Waltz moved to the salt river location to retire. Raise some chickens what ever,to get by, maybe some odd jobs now and then. Then things changed, cashing in gold ore, gifting Julia to help her out in a small town things like that travel real fast. People believed he had a mine some where they follow him some spent there whole life searching. These were people who new him or of him who were convinced he had a gold mine. Times have changed from now till then, you can store your money pretty save now days back then a man of money would be a target every bushwhacker would surely target. So flaunt your money would not be to smart.

So now if you found it, a thirty pound back pack of gold ore a day would set you up damm good. That would be around 12000 pounds a year.

Wrmickel1

Is this just your opinion or do you have new insight into his reasons for relocating to Pumpkinville, I mean, Phoenix?

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CN,

If what you are here to do is create attitude and drama, then Good Job. If you are seriously interested in the LDM (or at least getting some knowledge from people knowledgeable on the subject), then when someone answers your question, and you respond with derision and demands for book, chapter, page, and line, then you may want to tone down your attitude a bit.

Randy and I have both said the same thing to you a number of times. We aren't here to be YOUR personal research division. People ask us, and we answer. If you want something more detailed, then I suggest you do what we did. Buy and read books on the subject. Talk to people knowledgeable on the subject and be a little humble. A little humility goes a long way if you are asking someone for something.

Just Sayin' - Mike

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Right. If that equates to logic science credibility justice purity and truth. Then yes, I am as crappy as they get in your humble opinion.

These things sound very superhero like.
FYI... Just remember to fact check any "knowledge" that has been advanced to you.

btw that's a great film.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EVERYBODY LOOK AT THE BIG BRAIN ON BRAD!

Yeah, I guess you're right. You want information. You ask others for that information. They give you answers to your questions. You then demand book, chapter, page, and line from them. Yeah, its not you. Its us. You have absolutely zero obligation to do anything for yourself. Just ask a question. That's all the research you should have to do. We will all spend time, money, and boot leather to find the information for ourselves, but God forbid you should have to do anything like that!

Good Luck. You'll go far!

Mike

Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
Look. If you throw stuff out there it is up for scrutiny. If you have answered the same old questions so many times why don't you just make a document where you can cut and paste from? But make it a legit response not a rasher full. If the internet is too much for you, then you should consider your options. I in no way mean to imply you should give up, just man up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread