Examples of Superstition Mountain gold

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
A thread to show off your examples of gold from the Superstitions. That's what the LDM is all about. Gold. Otherwise most would care less about the fine details of the area history. So come on and post a few photos. Now all you old timers don't tell me you don't have a little sample from the mountain. If that was the case there is something very wrong here.
I have said the Superstition gold looks noticeably different. Here is a example. The gold on the left is Morristown Az gold. The gold on the right Superstition gold.

image-2097501982.jpg

And here is 1 oz of Superstition gold

image-830430187.jpg

The above samples are from a area Waltz was reported to have been seen entering. This area is also on the stone map trail. You think this is why Waltz had a drywasher made? If you post a photo of Superstition gold you can keep the area in the mountain it was found to yourself if you want. The above samples are from the SW mountain area.

Wet it and put it in the sun or use a flash it looks like nice yellow gold. But it is a dark gold. Very little fine gold in this area. Mostly chunky stuff.

image-2680315147.jpg

Last edited:

Not Peralta

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sgtfda, now I know for sure who's operating your dry washer, Its" mary" , be sure to pay her in nuggets before you send her back, that's all she's good for is finding nuggets.
and making:coffee2:, good luck. np:cat:

OP
OP
sgtfda

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
Sgtfda, now I know for sure who's operating your dry washer, Its" mary" , be sure to pay her in nuggets before you send her back, that's all she's good for is finding nuggets.
and making:coffee2:, good luck. np:cat:

Is Mary a hot babe? Not running my drywasher yet. Just doing a little testing scooping up a little dirt here and there and running it in my Gold Well Sluice at home. That way I can jump in the pool if I get too hot. I use dowsing rods to find a test spot the a Falcon MD 10 to confirm. Scoop up some dirt. 9 out of 10 samples have nice gold. Though too hot to go back there this time of year. That and I get bored easily. Time to look at the stone maps again to find some more spots. They are just mine and gold location maps. At least so far.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Ought to be monsoon season soon I hear. Interesting color and "chunky " character. Thanks for the informative pics sgtfda. Sorry none here to share not having been there and pulled any.

OP
OP
sgtfda

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
Well I thought we could try something different. Get away from the same old stuff. Waltz was no dummy. He would be prospecting in areas of the mountain that has gold and lots of it. That was then and this is now. The intent of the thread is to show what can be found in the mountain. Hopefully others can show examples. I suspect the wrong areas have been beat to death with not much found over the years.

Not Peralta

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sgtfda, no she has a face like O well youknow, and a body like a bulldog, happy hunting, a very good place you should check out is past first water turn off about a mile down the road on right hand side
going toward the lake get up to first and second ridge line. np:cat:

OP
OP
sgtfda

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
sgtfda, no she has a face like O well youknow, and a body like a bulldog, happy hunting, a very good place you should check out is past first water turn off about a mile down the road on right hand side
going toward the lake get up to first and second ridge line. np:cat:

NP. I can say your pretty much right on. A friend made a right on First Water and just up the road a little filled a pill vial with nuggets laying on to of the ground in a little wash. That gold had a lot of copper in it but it was gold. Sold it to our club and the members are fighting to get a piece.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi sgt" I rather suspect that He used his dry washer to work a placer, like you' In many ways it is not practilcal for tracing float

Your doing just fine, here's your coffee. :coffee2: Wanna a little of Oro private stock in it ??

Don Jose d La Mancha

Not Peralta

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sgtfda;either you didn't have a wet one or you didn't have someone else doing it. relax have some :coffee2: np:cat:

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Just for reference:

aematchbox-of-waltz-ore.jpg

<borrowed from under Fair Use provisions http://www.losttreasure.com/sites/default/files/aematchbox-of-waltz-ore.jpg>

I would like to find the mine that produced THAT ore!

OP
OP
sgtfda

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
But where is that mine Roy? Did the match box gold come out of the soap box? If so where did Waltz get it. I doubt the Superstitions. Waltz sold a few claims. How was he paid. Gold? If so where did the gold come from. You can see where I'm going with this. I'm tired looking at the match box. It's a clue that does not match descriptions of the lost mine gold. I'm not saying it was not from the soap box. We just don't know where it was dug up. Lets see gold that did come from the Superstitions.

Last edited:

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
But where is that mine Roy? Did the match box gold come out of the soap box? If so where did Waltz get it. I doubt the Superstitions. Waltz sold a few claims. How was he paid. Gold? If so where did the gold come from. You can see where I'm going with this. I'm tired looking at the match box. It's a clue that does not match descriptions of the lost mine gold. I'm not saying it was not from the soap box. We just don't know where it was dug up. Lets see gold that did come from the Superstitions.

We know you were a cop, sarge. I'll bet you were a good one. What do cops want? The truth, no matter where or what it leads to.

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other

Sgtfda

Looks like this one is heading to the cold case file.

Babymick1

OP
OP
sgtfda

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
We know you were a cop, sarge. I'll bet you were a good one. What do cops want? The truth, no matter where or what it leads to.

I've found most tales have a element of truth. As the tale is retold things get added. Along the way even that element of truth can be lost. Then you have those who figure out how to make a buck from it and the add stuff. Julia Thomas is a good example. Yes she searched, failed and found a way to make a buck. As many quote the clues they fail to mention Julia was a nutball I will not follow nutball maps and clues into those mountains I will look at a Garman map or a Tom K notation. Not to find the LDM or the stones treasure but a gold prospecting area.
Springfield who has more fun than us? In the past I've located some sites using those skills. Also discovered some surprises along the way. I pick up on things and have a nose for things that are not right. But Springfield their are people who don't want to hear the truth. They have their own thing going on. That includes some cops. In my case my friends know what is going on. We share info and I'm happy with a little gold.
You never know Mick. Perhaps you may share a photo

Last edited:

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used

Ooookay fine - I do not know the location of the LDM, and have only the word of Dick Holmes that matchbox came from the Waltz stash. On the other hand, how do we know that the gold you have shown, came from the Superstitions, and not say, Rich Hill or California or Colorado? Only your word right? :dontknow:

I have stated it before, but the total amount of gold that I ever found in the Superstitions, would not fill the small glass vials they sell; it would not make a tenth of an ounce, and is placer dust not gold quartz. If I had gold quartz found in the Superstitions, I would have had a much hotter clue as to where to look. I have seen quartz sure enough, black sands, and some gold dust, but nothing to get excited over. I think what you are asking for, is not going to be seen because no one has found the LDM to have the gold to show. :dontknow:

OP
OP
sgtfda

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
Roy other than my partners who helped dig and 400 members of my club who bought some for raffles I have no witnesses. Who knows in a hundred years it will be magnified to a rich mine with millions in gold. I have a soap box too. People will be quoting clues to the spots. Oh I must include my wife and friends who visited from Pennsylvania. Took them to the spot and they got some gold. We will add them to the clues.
All I was saying other than Waltz no one knows where his gold came from. As I know where my gold came from. I know your just making a point and that post was not aimed at you. My area is not the LDM. There is gold in the mountains. I've only found placer so far and have a good idea the area it's from. Very nice placer. No small stuff though other than a few specks of it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sgtfda

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
Unlike Waltz I have some trusted friends on this forum who have a copy of my map and know exactly where I'm prospecting They go with my blessing to find their own spot in the area. Including Bob Wards nephew. I'm not going to croak and take it with me. It's sad that Waltz did not have trusted friends. In the end it's only gold. I would rather have a good friend.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Roy other than my partners who helped dig and 400 members of my club who bought some for raffles I have no witnesses. Who knows in a hundred years it will be magnified to a rich mine with millions in gold. I have a soap box too. People will be quoting clues to the spots. Oh I must include my wife and friends who visited from Pennsylvania. Took them to the spot and they got some gold. We will add them to the clues.
All I was saying other than Waltz no one knows where his gold came from. As I know where my gold came from. I know your just making a point and that post was not aimed at you. My area is not the LDM. There is gold in the mountains. I've only found placer so far and have a good idea the area it's from. Very nice placer. No small stuff though other than a few specks of it.

I am more in agreement with you than may appear. The Lost Dutchman legend has very little solid evidence to support it, and if anyone finds it, I believe it will be by the old tried-and-true prospecting methods by which the mine was discovered in the first place. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread