DEERINGS TRAIL......

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
DEERING'S TRAIL......

Some of you may have seen this before. If so, I am the only one who could have posted it.:dontknow:

Told to me by a friend:

[The trail you ask about starts near where Canyon Lake is and crosses over to the confluence of Tortilla Creek and Peters Canyon. It Then goes up Geronimo head Mountain and snakes its way in a "zig-zag" fashion up to the top then across over to Malapais-then to the saddle between Malapais and Peters Mesa... Length approximately 7 miles... In some places the trail still shows it was well worn....down to rock.]

That "well respected" friend, has been dead for a number of years now.

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo

Last edited:

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom's article about the Deering/Chuning Trail.....http://www.ajpl.org/aj/superstition/stories/Deering Story.pdf

The trail IS well worn in many places....down to rock and sometimes even into the rock itself.

Deering Chunning Trail.png

One of Deering's trail markers ?
From Tom's article....
"At this time, I came down off a big mountain and through a canyon and there I built four monuments of long slender stones with
four or five smaller stones laid around to support them"

Deering Marker.png

Regards:SH.

Last edited:

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
North end of Malapais....

N Malapais.png

Enlargement of NW end...

Deering trail 2.png

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Some of you may have seen this before. If so, I am the only one who could have posted it.:dontknow:

Told to me by a friend:

[The trail you ask about starts near where Canyon Lake is and crosses over to the confluence of Tortilla Creek and Peters Canyon. It Then goes up Geronimo head Mountain and snakes its way in a "zig-zag" fashion up to the top then across over to Malapais-then to the saddle between Malapais and Peters Mesa... Length approximately 7 miles... In some places the trail still shows it was well worn....down to rock.]

That "well respected" friend, has been dead for a number of years now.

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo

In my opinion, this is one of the most important threads one can read here. I didn't see it until just now, but fing wow. Do you know the history of Malapais, the name? Of Geronimo? I will make a prediction here. When something resembling the DLM is eventually found again, this quote will be much talked about. Thank you for sharing it.

Is it important to keep your source confidential or will you write about them? How you heard it and how that person heard it?

Last edited:
OP
OP
cactusjumper

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
In my opinion, this is one of the most important threads one can read here. I didn't see it until just now, but fing wow. Do you know the history of Malapais, the name? Of Geronimo? I will make a prediction here. When something eventually resembling the DLM is found again, this quote will be much talked about. Thank you for sharing it.

Is it important to keep your source confidential or will you write about them? How you heard it and how that person heard it?

Hal,

My source was Steve Creager. I don't know his source, for sure, but believe it was a conclusion that Peter Espinoza and Matthew Roberts, his partners, also believed. For me, that points to Clay Worst as the source. I could, of course, be mistaken in that conclusion.

I know that Peter did a lot of research into the two soldiers story and thought it a key clue in locating the LDM.

Good luck,

Joe

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The "deering/chunning" timeline thread is still one of my favs on the other forum.

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
The "deering/chunning" timeline thread is still one of my favs on the other forum.

Pretty good discussions by some very, very knowledgeable posters. It's a shame none of them, like Roger, Peter, et al. are around today.

The only bad thing about that forum is the domineering moderator hijacking every single thread.

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
The LDM does have a moderator that interferes with every single discussion; you can't put him on ignore because he has moderator privileges.

OP
OP
cactusjumper

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Hal,

I never used GE to create a trail. I always used "Topo" programs. Take the path of least resistance.

Take care,

Joe

OP
OP
cactusjumper

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
The LDM does have a moderator that interferes with every single discussion; you can't put him on ignore because he has moderator privileges.

deducer,

Joe, the Webmaster, is the only one with those kinds of power. He seldom interfered with the discussions. You are mistaken.

Joe Ribaudo

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
deducer,

Joe, the Webmaster, is the only one with those kinds of power. He seldom interfered with the discussions. You are mistaken.

Joe Ribaudo

I am not talking about him.

When I try to put this particular moderator on ignore, all I get is this message:

You cannot add administrators and moderators to your foes list.

motel6.5

Mar 27, 2012
Nevada,Calif.,Utah,Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the Trick in the Trail is the Key to the LDM, which is the same as Deerings lost mine. The trick is not really
in the trail, it is close to the trail,Left or Right, it is there for sure.

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
I believe the Trick in the Trail is the Key to the LDM, which is the same as Deerings lost mine. The trick is not really
in the trail, it is close to the trail,Left or Right, it is there for sure.
Where for sure?

OP
OP
cactusjumper

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Where for sure?

Hal,

If the trail is in West Boulder, and I believe part of it is, there is a huge boulder (house size) that blocks the canyon. During rainy times, it has a waterfall on the west side of it and a nice pool forms on the north side. If you check the east side, there is a narrow passage around the boulder. The last time I was there, someone had cut away the branches that protruded out of the east side of the passageway.......in order to make enough room for his pack-horse to get through. You need to be right there to see you can get by.

Good luck,

Joe

Last edited:

motel6.5

Mar 27, 2012
Nevada,Calif.,Utah,Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hal, The Dutchman knew of a secret door that led to a sunken valley not visable from any other area.
The valley had a gold source that was worked by the Peraltas.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Motel,

The trick in the trail was pretty well described. You have to go up above Waltz' Mine, then come back down to it through a trick in the trail.

Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions