Superstition mine question?

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
I checked the USGS Mineral Lands Assessment study (link provided by Cactusjumper above) and those "mines" are located on their map, even circled in fact. However according to their statements, the samples they tested which showed any trace of gold, silver etc are all listed, and in their words all the other "mines" prospects, diggings etc were "BARREN" so I would think these "mines" were likely tested or at least examined (why else circle them) and they saw nothing worth testing.

The 1982 report also mentioned that "hundreds" of such "mines" prospect pits, tunnels, shafts etc have been dug over the years, very often where no mineralization occurs.

If I should happen to be in the Superstitions in the future I may have to go investigate these "mines" - not that I think they are the LOST DUTCHMAN but just curious about them. :-\
Oroblanco

Nov 2, 2009
Curiosity killed the cat is a proverb used to warn against being too curious lest one come to harm. A less frequent rejoinder to 'curiosity killed the cat' is 'satisfaction brought it back'

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Santa,

[Curiosity killed the cat is a proverb used to warn against being too curious lest one come to harm. A less frequent rejoinder to 'curiosity killed the cat' is 'satisfaction brought it back']

How careless of me to leave out El Gato!

Joe Ribaudo

Ellie Baba

Mar 7, 2005
Laveen, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Alaska Bill wrote;

USGS performs field surveys periodically and publishes updated maps as the older ones are revised. I have a USGS, Florence Arizona quadrangle map that is dated 1900. It is a “1 to 125,000 scale” map and does not have these mines indicated. The map above looks to me like a more detailed map with a different scale than the 1/125,000 series of maps and therefore the mining sites were not included on my 1900 edition even though the sites might have been documented by USGS prior to 1900.

Hi Alaska Bill,

The 1900 topo you are referring to was designed to be used with the "Peralta Stone Maps". The stone house is depicted on the map, but the coke ovens are not. There is a reason for this discrepancy. Any other nonessential information was not used as this particular map was designed as a base depository area. If one were to order the 1900 Florence topo you have mentioned they would receive the 1901 revision. The original 1900 has some design flaws that were designed into it on purpose. The 1901 map was a corrected version. There are four other maps that must be used to help interpret the Stone Maps as we found out the hard way. After all was said and done we realized you had to follow the Stone Maps directions and study the hearts and study the maps to solve the puzzle. After all of these years we learned to follow the clues laid out on the ground depicted by the Stone Maps(and I mean years). You have to be very careful as the maps were made to take you on a wild goose chase. Once you have located the area to use the maps they will make perfect sense. Now you can start counting the years. The actual directions to the caches have to be solved in the field by relying on the large shadow monuments. These clues can only be observed twice a year. As I said in another post; you must document your work or it is all in vain.

I use to live in Alaska and I finally decided it was a nice place to visit and I hated the Alaskan State Bird, the mosquito.

Loved the Northern Lights and the bush,

EB

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Ellie,

I assume you are speaking of the crocosquito. It has the head of a crocodile and the body of a mosquito.
In addition to that horrifying apparition, they are the fastest things on earth. While you could never outrun them,
it was advised that you run just as fast as you can if one ever comes after you. Even with knowing you couldn't get
away from them, it was considered a good idea to get as close to a hospital as possible before they caught you. :tongue3:

Take care,

Joe

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Bill,

I've had that report for a number of years now. Started out with one of my friends sending me a hard copy, and found the report on the Internet by chance.

Take care,

Joe

alaskabill

Jan 5, 2009
Alaska
Detector(s) used
White's GMT
Ellie Baba said:
The 1900 topo you are referring to was designed to be used with the "Peralta Stone Maps". The stone house is depicted on the map, but the coke ovens are not. There is a reason for this discrepancy. Any other nonessential information was not used as this particular map was designed as a base depository area. If one were to order the 1900 Florence topo you have mentioned they would receive the 1901 revision. The original 1900 has some design flaws that were designed into it on purpose. The 1901 map was a corrected version. There are four other maps that must be used to help interpret the Stone Maps as we found out the hard way. After all was said and done we realized you had to follow the Stone Maps directions and study the hearts and study the maps to solve the puzzle. After all of these years we learned to follow the clues laid out on the ground depicted by the Stone Maps(and I mean years). You have to be very careful as the maps were made to take you on a wild goose chase. Once you have located the area to use the maps they will make perfect sense. Now you can start counting the years. The actual directions to the caches have to be solved in the field by relying on the large shadow monuments. These clues can only be observed twice a year. As I said in another post; you must document your work or it is all in vain.

I use to live in Alaska and I finally decided it was a nice place to visit and I hated the Alaskan State Bird, the mosquito.

Loved the Northern Lights and the bush,

EB

Hi Ellie Baba,

Thanks for the comments. I have not done much analysis of the Stone Maps, but have read several books about them and various interpretations. Interesting reading, but I have found no one or a published source that logically explains how to decipher the symbols and leads to a mine or treasure. Are we sure they are not forgeries and if not, are we sure they lead us to mines or treasure of some kind? Amy Mosier in her book Treasure Maps of the Superstitions published in 2002 claims that a mentor she calls "the Tin Man" explained to her how to interpret the Stone Maps but does not tell us the details, only bits and pieces to keep the reader engaged. Her book has lots of symbols and photos, but not enough explanation and analysis to suit me. She does discuss a book by Charles A. Kenworthy and includes a copy of what she claims is a copy of Kenworthy's mining claims in LaBarge Canyon: Quo Vadis I through VII. I comment on Kenworthy's book in the next paragraph and have to wonder why Kenworthy did not include that mineral claim information in his own book published in 1997.

One of the most interesting books I have read recently was not about the Stone Maps. Treasure Secrets of the Lost Dutchman by Charles A. Kenworthy, 1997 included verifiable evidence of his success and conclusions, although some of his analysis is still unconvincing to me mainly because I have no first hand knowledge of Spanish/Mexican/Jesuit or other protocols for making maps, using symbols, and their interpretations. Nevertheless, there is some logic in his methods that I can accept. He provides the locations of key terrain features and the actual location of the LDM (his opinion, no verifiable proof) according to the known clues we all have read about. My trip in 2007 was an effort to verify some of Kenworthy's observations and findings by doing an on site survey. I attempted to contact Kenworthy through his publisher a few years ago and was saddened to hear that he had passed away. If any of the Forum members have read this Kenworthy book, I would be interested in your comments. I'll start a new thread on this book and see if I get any responses.

I sure appreciate the several postings about Alaska - The Great Land. Yep, it gets cold, dark for a while, the bears are BIG, and the mosquitoes are like incoming missiles at times. But we do not have poison ivy, snakes, scorpions, or poisonous spiders. I guess every place has a trade off. We love it here. Fishing, trips to the Bush, the Iditarod, and Northern Lights are just a few of the attractions. So far this Fall, we have had no snow and temps have been around 35 F during the day. Sounds better than many places in "the Lower 48" to me. :icon_thumleft:

There I go again. Sorry for the rambling...

Bill

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HIO BILL: You posted -->

'we do not have poison ivy, snakes, scorpions, or poisonous spiders'
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Unfortunately you DO have Alaskans though ! he hehehe

Nope, not really sorry, since many, many of my friends are native born Alaskans and have a good sense of humor.. And I am an Arizonian.

Don Jose de La Mancha

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome, Alaska Bill,

At least the Alaskan mosquitoes cannot spread disease. They are of a variety that only one sex bites, and then she does her procreation thing and dies. An Alaskan mosquito only bites one time.

Again, welcome!

B

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
mrs.oroblanco said:
Oh, by the way, there is a town in Arizona called Tusayan - it is about 5 miles from the Grand Canyon National Park.

It is strictly a tourist trap with no history of its own. They chose the name because it sounded 'Indian' and 'authentic'.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread