spainish molds for gold bars

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Bowman,

"now some of you may have noted that i did not say the mines were founded in 1488 as the date is beleived to read over the crypt we beleive we have found . i did that for a good reason . the date 1488 is the brith date of the founder of the jesuits , IMHO it was simbolic more than a dated crypt ....the date makes sense this way ...."

Does the fact that St. Ignatius Loyola was born on December 24, 1491 make any difference in your theory?

Joe

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...or maybe that Columbus didn't have his first pina colada until 1492?

Mike

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BB,

So many inaccuracies, I don't know where to start???

>First; Michel de Montaigne was French not Spanish. Although a Roman Catholic, he would not have been able to found or claim ANYTHING in the name of Spain.

>De Montaigne was not born until 1533.

>He NEVER set foot in the New World.

>Much less founded the city of Havana.

>............................and once again, for old times sake....

Columbus didn't hit the beach until 1492.

>>>Diego Velázquez de Cuéllar was the man who founded the city of Havana in 1515.

Best,

Mike

OP
OP
T

the blindbowman

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2006
i guess its been to long of a week and its time for me to walk away ... good luck to all of you !

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Bowman,

No need to take all this so seriously. There is an easy fix for your problem:

Start your week around Wednesday or Thursday, and you will hit your peak on the weekend. Works swell for me. ;)

Joe

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
HOLA buscaderos de tesoro...

Just found this thread, was looking for a new thread on the Kino silver/gold bars and happened upon this. I know that mi amigo Real de Tayopa mentioned it in passing, but would like to expound on this tidbit, for those who are looking for Spanish gold casting moulds.

At most remote mines the common practice was to simply make a depression in damp sand, and pour the molten gold (or silver, or gold-silver alloy dore) into the depression and let it cool. If you look at some of the gold bars recovered from some Spanish treasure ships, you can almost see that the mould was formed by a human finger! The sand would be almost like brick after use, and could be re-used repeatedly.

Fight nice kiddies, and remember tossing barbs around isn't going to win many friends or influence people. We may disagree about many things, but have many more common interests than differences.

Dang it Randy you are learning some prospecting techniques, roasting ore for example. I hope you had good luck on your expedition to the Bradshaws.

Oroblanco

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
Oroblanco said:
HOLA buscaderos de tesoro...

Just found this thread, was looking for a new thread on the Kino silver/gold bars and happened upon this. I know that mi amigo Real de Tayopa mentioned it in passing, but would like to expound on this tidbit, for those who are looking for Spanish gold casting moulds.

At most remote mines the common practice was to simply make a depression in damp sand, and pour the molten gold (or silver, or gold-silver alloy dore) into the depression and let it cool. If you look at some of the gold bars recovered from some Spanish treasure ships, you can almost see that the mould was formed by a human finger! The sand would be almost like brick after use, and could be re-used repeatedly.

Fight nice kiddies, and remember tossing barbs around isn't going to win many friends or influence people. We may disagree about many things, but have many more common interests than differences.

Dang it Randy you are learning some prospecting techniques, roasting ore for example. I hope you had good luck on your expedition to the Bradshaws.

Oroblanco

Yucca stems were useful for this. The impression they made in the casting sand resulted in half-round cross sections that stacked nicely since one surface was flat.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Springfield, good to see you again buddy!

I had not heard that one before but it makes perfect sense and explains the shape of some of the long bars that don't look like a finger made the mould! Now all I have to do is find some of those bars...! ;D :D ;)

Good luck and good hunting to you, I hope you find the treasures that you seek.

your friend,
Roy ~ Oroblanco

rush

Aug 24, 2009
cactusjumper said:
Bowman,

Don't really know anything about this picture.....a friend sent it to me. It may not be Spanish, may not be old, and may just be something someone made up in their backyard. There was also a picture of some ingots. I assume they were found in the same place as the mold......assuming it's legit'.

Joe
from rush please see my post on what is it forum 'strange metal by rush note the shape sim to your mold /?

Twisted Fork

Sep 2, 2007
UTAH
Detector(s) used
tf900 & a good old fashioned willow forked limb
Just a note, the average distance of a smelter to the mine is 1/4 mile give or take. Gold bars are often buried at the most functional guard position over looking the incoming trails to the mine. Sometimes a bolder or two propped up

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004
Dear group;
The object in the first photograph is this thread is not a Spanish colonial ingot mold. Can anyone study the photo carefully and explain why this is so?
Your friend;
LAMAR

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Dear Lamar,

I can only guess, but the mold looks to be made of concrete.
The shape of the mold seems too perfect. My best guess is
that the shape is wrong for the era in question:

goldbarschristies.jpg

The above picture is of gold ingots from the Atocha. Here is a link
to more information on the Atocha's gold bars:
http://www.imacdigest.com/atochagoldbars.htm

Take care,

Joe

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004
Dear cactusjumper;
Very good, my friend. The item in the first photo is not a Spanish colonial ingot mold because the first time that a trapizoid shaped ingot was used was by the US mint in the late 1800s. It was discovered that during transport, rectangular shaped ingots lost too much weight due to frictionial losses, that being that the bars would rub against one another, thus shedding weight. By casting the ingots in a trapizoidial shape and by placing a thin layer of dunnage between the layers of ingots, the ingots could be stacked and shipped anywhere with virtually no loss of weight noted at the end of their journey.
Your friend;
LAMAR

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Joe:
The photo title is appropriate.I will swing around to a place that I used to work for,where they used one as a door stop.There was a masonry contractor's yard next door.If it's still laying around,I will get a photo.
Meanwhile:
"Frog

Most hand-made bricks have a hollow on one of the larger surfaces called the "frog " or "kick."

The object of this is to afford a key for the mortar. The reason why there is not a hollow on both sides in hand-moulded bricks is that the top of the brick is struck off to a flush surface by the moulder.

Bricks should be laid with the hollow uppermost.2

Wire-cut bricks (see above) have, of course, no frogs.

In some machine bricks made by pressure there is a frog on each side."

Regards:SH

....would certainly make a handy low budget mould,though,if one had something interesting to pour into it :laughing7:

Attachments

• bricks01.gif
    bricks01.gif
    6.7 KB · Views: 552

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread