Was Waltz Depressed?

Oro22

Jan 17, 2015
MA
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
New to this forum but wanted to throw out some ideas with the caveat that you all are clearly more experienced and knowledgeable at this than I. That said...

Ely hints that Waltz became depressed after the loss of Wiesner. We will never know, but if Waltz did suffer from depression and this was a strong bout....then it is hard to hold him to the standards we are used to in judging actions. That is, he may not have been making rational decisions, planning well, or thinking clearly. Did depression drive him to live a life of apparent poverty? His actions make a lot more sense if there are seen through this frame.

On the same theme, it seems Silverlock and Mahlom, who found verified gold, ended up in a psychiatric hospital. Seems odd that with over one hundred years of folks searching, one of the few agreed upon discoveries is by two men who turned out have (or develop) serious mental illness. Was there something about the history that made more sense to them because of such.

Of course, we cannot go back in time to ever know, but trying to think beyond the facts and instead what was the mental status of those living those facts may help to explain the odd and separate out some fact from fiction? And no, I am not stating everyone interested in the LDM is crazy or trying to insult anyone (or myself) at all. Rather trying to approach this from a different angle.

Would welcome your thoughts. Thanks for hearing me out.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Oro22,

Silverlock and Malm found float gold. They dug trenches and prospect holes but could never find a source for all the float gold they found by the Massacre Grounds. Here's what they found: When the Apache were fighting the Peraltas that were trying to get all their hand cobbled gold ore back to Mexico, the mules got away with full packs of this rich looking ore. As they bucked and kicked, their packs eventually came off. Scattering this rich hand cobbled gold ore all over a small area. Over the years, those packs and straps rotted away, leaving the rich ore still sitting right on the surface.

Normally, when a prospector finds rich "float gold" that means the source of that float is nearby somewhere. That's why S&M spent all the money from their float find hunting for the source of the float that was nowhere near there. They only found what had been thrown off the mules in the 1800s.

To this day, people still happen across rich ore right on the surface near the massacre grounds. There is no mine or blowout nearby. They only found the remnants of the Peralta Massacre.

Mike

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread