new show on the dutchman

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I often thought that these were part of the trail, crafted as the path the Burro's naturally take through these areas as they migrate and graze.

There were some other markings that show they are also a trail from the old mission over the border south, up through the Dragoons, and through other parts of the Eastern valley of Phoenix

There is a very large Heart Shaped Stone near the Pima reservation to the south, and if this trail was a long trail, it would surely be a turning point from the trail to head through the easiest way to New Mexico

My guess (which others have said as well ) is that this is some sort of set of speaking stones that were crafted because of the magic looking similarities in the stones and the mountainous ranges.

Ones that were known to form in a certain shape from the original time when the earth was molten and electric, as these arcing bolts were the cause of the rivers and the formations that were seen to make the gold concentrate in certain areas, holding almost the same shape throughout most of the Southwest.

Eldo,

KX has claimed to work in the film business for 15 years, so you both have something in common.

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eldo,

KX has claimed to work in the film business for 15 years, so you both have something in common.

And darned if NP hasn't mentioned the "burro migration" many times, as well as the "mission" .
Sure gets confusing, trying to match which folks first mentioned these things........

But thanks Eldo, since your burro migration reminded me of something I hadn't though about for years now.
Back in 1996, the year after I made my first visit to the Sups, I was asked if I could put together an ultralight trike for a group of idealists who wanted to train young trumpeter swans to migrate south. These were an endangered species at the time and chicks were being raised in both Canada and the northern US, in order to revive the population. Problem was, the breeding adults could not be released into the wild because of the rapidly dwindling poulation, and so could not teach the young ones the migration route. There is a bit more to the story, but that trike, on floats and wheels, is featured in this film. I had never seen this vid myself until a few minutes ago .... so I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. At the very end, a very short takeoff is demonstrated. Typical for one of these.....60 hp Rotax + 3 blade composite Ivo prop. I still have the drawings I made for this and one other trike, which I repaired and modified for a friend back then.

Regards:SH.

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
SH. i remember that movie, i think it was called fly away

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SH. i remember that movie, i think it was called fly away

Actually "Fly Away Home" is the movie you're thinking of.
It was based on an earlier project with Canada Geese and Bill Lishman, "Father Goose",who mentored this project.
The first wing mounted on the trike in the video I posted came from the ultralight Bill used in that movie.

The neat thing about trikes, is that they can be folded into a small package and carried into the desert or mountains in the back of a 4x4 (in the bed of a PU, or on a rack on the back of a Jeep). It takes about 20 min to set up, takes off and lands on any short and flat area, and flies high and slow enough for use in searching, photography or movie making. The training and licensing requirements are less expensive and time consuming than for a regular P. Pilot Permit as well.

Last edited:

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some wannabes never get very good with that third axis anyway.
And some forget to make sure the fuselage drains are cleared on an open cockpit aircraft, during the preflight inspection. That's real important cause even five gallons of water, sloshin back an forth from firewall to tailfeathers can very quickly result in what the pros call unusual ( and all too often fatal) attitudes.
Even seen one post a photo on this site of an instrument panel, and trying to tell us the plane was at 6,000 ft, but didn't know apparently that the altimeter ain't like a clock, and when the big hand points up and the little one points down, yer toolin along at 5,000 ft., and quite likely to smite some immovable terrain what you never saw coming.

I've never flown a trike. Never got around to taking them up on the offer to, after they put the wing on her.
I've heard though, that the hardest adjustment to make is the backaswards control swings, where push is up and pull is down, and right banks left and left banks right. Other than that, it's a snap....:laughing7:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions