UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An old timer in Ouray had a framed a photo of the original assay and told me the story.
I know this is a long shot, but do you happen to recall that gentleman's name, and did you take any photos of that assay he had framed?

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Man, don't leave a brother out! I already have all the maps and approach vectors plotted!

Oh I won't, I promise. I don't know anything about this legend, so you'll be my first call.

Goose MKII

Oct 22, 2014
Niwot, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
When I see the guys on this show with their mostly empty day packs, and huffing and puffing away in the Superstitions, I kinda smile. I am used to hiking around in the high Rockies between 10,000 and 12,000 feet looking like this:

321354_10151321085839123_1886085127_n.jpg

That pack is loaded down with food, md coils, metal detector, waders, picks, pry bar, crevice tools, water filter, emergency tent, mini-shovel, gold pans, magnets, rain gear, and all kinds of other sundries. Around 100 pounds.
I'm curious as to what kind of personal protection/defense items do you carry with you?

Goose MKII

Oct 22, 2014
Niwot, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
For those who want to catch up with past episodes, tonight is your lucky night.
They're showing past espisodes in the History Channel all night long until 3am est

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did that one guy get shot twice? Never says he died, right? 1959 , Lavern Rowlee was shot by Ralph Thomas,1960 Lavern Rowlee was shot by Ralph Thomas,

Zombie....New Years Eve 1959.....was wearing his "Zombie Lives Count Two" tee.

Last edited:

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I know this is a long shot, but do you happen to recall that gentleman's name, and did you take any photos of that assay he had framed?

I was too young and stoned then to even think of photographing his framed assay photo. Seems like the assayer worked out of Silverton (maybe)? Somewhere nearby, anyway. The old guy (in his 70s in 1974) was called Buddy and was a great guy with a fun wife. He lived a couple-three-four blocks or so east of where I lived at the time, which was the top floor of a corner house across the highway from a coffee shop on the north end of town. Buddy hired me to run his Punjar for him for about a month in his one-man mine (two, with me) outside of Ouray. It was in the amphitheater area in a kind of weird secret place behind a locked gate. I always rode in his truck with him to the site. It seemed easy enough then, but that was 40 years ago already.

Here's a cache you haven't heard of in the area, I'll bet. The miners in the Idarado Mine on Red Mountain Pass in 1974 were all Mexicans from Montrose (except for a few hippies from Durango). The full-timers all high-graded the mine when possible - for gold ore and also valuable mineral specimens - and the company looked the other way because they knew these guys would just go work somewhere else otherwise. The mineral specimens they sold to Benjie's Rock Shop in Ouray, but since gold was still illegal to possess then, they had to black-market the sale of their ore. A Red Chinese agent made the rounds every year to buy up what was available, discount price, cash only, no questions asked. My pal V______ T______'s dad worked a very rich stope in the Idarado, and one day I was at his house in Montrose with VT and saw about four wooden powder boxes in his garage full of cobbled picture rock and also a light greyish quartz shot through with little flecks of fine gold. About two hundred pounds of rock. A yearly "bonus" of several thousand dollars, maybe more.

VT's dad's stope partner - call him Rudy - was paranoid about keeping his high-grade at his house, so he always stashed his in a secret place "in the rocks" near a dirt road not far from the highway between Mpntrose and Ridgeway. Well, Rudy dropped dead one day in about 1972 of a heart attack, leaving only his wife. He never bothered to tell her or anyone else exactly where the stash was. Some of Rudy's miner buddies hunted for the stash off and on for months for his wife, but never found it and eventually gave up. There's a lot of rocks on that road. I don't know if the ore was in boxes, bags or what - it was always a temporary stash until sale day.

There you go, Matt. Maybe a couple hundred ounces of gold values - a nice find at today's prices. Maybe much more value as specimens. Just waiting for you right off the highway.

Last edited:

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm curious as to what kind of personal protection/defense items do you carry with you?
In my pack lower side pocket I have a big can of pressurized triple strength bear pepper spray within easy reach, on the other side I have a large Rambo survival knife, and I also have my prospecting pick. I haven't carried a gun yet, and never needed it, but thinking seriously about doing so. I also have a marine blast horn, which is pretty effective at getting large critters to move away. I've seen bears and cats at a distance, but they never got close at all. Probably the smell. :laughing7:

I also have a high tech walking stick with a spring shock absorber and a magnet in the end and an LED light in the handle. Its actually picked up some horse shoe nails on trails. That's just my metal detector rod in the photo. Its usually just broken down and lashed to my pack.

I like Frank's walking stick with a knife in the top, been thinking about making something custom like that.

Last edited:

Goose MKII

Oct 22, 2014
Niwot, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
In my pack lower side pocket I have a big can of pressurized triple strength bear pepper spray within easy reach, on the other side I have a large Rambo survival knife, and I also have my prospecting pick. I haven't carried a gun yet, and never needed it, but thinking seriously about doing so. I also have a marine blast horn, which is pretty effective at getting large critters to move away. I've seen bears and cats at a distance, but they never got close at all. Probably the smell. :laughing7:

I also have a high tech walking stick with a spring shock absorber and a magnet in the end and an LED light in the handle. Its actually picked up some horse shoe nails on trails. That's just my metal detector rod in the photo. Its usually just broken down and lashed to my pack.

I like Frank's walking stick with a knife in the top, been thinking about making something custom like that.
That's good.
I carry also a Grizzly strength pepper spray, plus a 5' walking stick with a half an inch sleeved pointy metal shaft.
I feel safe, but having a gun is essential when you really need yo have one.
There's a lot of fun to be had hiking, but you never can't be too prepared...

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by TheHarleyMan2
Didn't you see him using that 9 iron for a walking stick?
laughing7.gif
laughing7.gif
laughing7.gif

=Goose MKII;4425245]Those are good to club iguanas with... :D

Goose, thanks nice to watch from start to....
but why do you want to club a iguana?
grubs and roots are better eating

Goose MKII

Oct 22, 2014
Niwot, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
quote_icon.png
laughing7.gif
laughing7.gif
laughing7.gif

Nah, I wouldn't club an iguana, it just sounded funny :)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I see the guys on this show with their mostly empty day packs, and huffing and puffing away in the Superstitions, I kinda smile. I am used to hiking around in the high Rockies between 10,000 and 12,000 feet looking like this:

321354_10151321085839123_1886085127_n.jpg

That pack is loaded down with food, md coils, metal detector, waders, picks, pry bar, crevice tools, water filter, emergency tent, mini-shovel, gold pans, magnets, rain gear, and all kinds of other sundries. Around 100 pounds.
Nice picture of you UM....

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
quote_icon.png
laughing7.gif
laughing7.gif
laughing7.gif

You don't actually club them! You practice your golf swing and line drive them to the next cave opening! :laughing7: :laughing7:

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CN,

We are arguing semantics. The simplest explanation is that while we have a lot of rock formations hundreds of millions (or billions) of years old, when a new geologic event happens, it can force itself up through the older formations causing veins, shear zones, volcanic upthrusts, etc. that are much newer and contain minerals that didn't form in the older (original) rock formations.

You may have also misinterpreted some things I have said. If you think I believe completely that I believe the quartz vein in the LDM is from one of the three volcanic actions that formed Supers Caldera Rings, you have misread my thoughts. Without going back into my older posts I will restate what I previously stated several times:

I think the quartz vein in the LDM is in the rock that underlies the Dacite/Tuff Volcanic Overlay. Where that mineralization shows through are from Volcanic Upthrusts, Shear Zones, Landslides, Earthquakes, and water/wind erosion. Places like that are where the Peraltas found their rich veins.

Here is a quote from Glover's Book:

THE DACITE QUESTION

If volcanic terrain is known to produce rich gold deposits, like Goldfield, Nevada, why do many geologists dismiss out of hand gold deposits in the volcanic terrain of the Superstition Mountains? The answer lies in the Dacite and Tuff Rocks. You see, most of the Superstition Range is formed from just two types of rock; Dacite, which forms from either a pyroclastic flow or as a thick, viscous lava and tuff, which is always formed from pyroclastic flows. Why is this important? Simple, pyroclastic material is not mineralized with metals.

When some volcanoes erupt, they eject a huge amount of ash , and some of this ash may flow down the sides of this volcano in what is called a pyroclastic flow - a mass of very hot (up to 1000 degrees C) ash, gases and rocks traveling up to 100 miles per hour. It was the pyroclastic flow of Mt Vesuvius that first buried the ancient Roman City of Pompeii. After a pyroclastic flow, the material that started out as ash and gas cools into a thick layer of solid rock - layers of non mineralized rock that can be hundreds of feet thick. To get a gold deposit in such country, one of two things must happen. First, the Dacite must overlay a mineralized region, and then, either a vein of material must push up through the dacite from below (post dacite intrusion), or the dacite must be eroded away to expose the pre-dacite material. Since the Western Superstition Range is composed of old volcanic calderas - like Goldfield, Nevada - there is a good chance that the dacite overlays a mineralized region. So, what one needs to find are either a location where erosion has worked down to the pre-dacite underlying rock or where post-dacite intrusions have pushed up through the dacite. However, post-dacite intrusions intrusions present an interesting problem, one that has fooled many a Dutch Hunter.

Just what is a post-dacite intrusion? It means where another, younger rock has pushed its way up through the dacite, such as a vein of quartz. For example, if you drive a nail into a board, the board must be there for the nail to enter it, one might say that in relation to the board, the nail is younger. Let the nail represent the vein and the board represent the dacite, and it would seem obvious that wherever you find nails "veins" in the dacite, you have post-dacite intrusions. And the dacite of the Superstition Mountains is laced with such veins and in places columns of rock that appear to push right through the dacite. Post-dacite intrusions right? Unfortunately, it ain't necessarily so. Dacite is a strange rock in which both the dacite itself and veins or columns in it can form at the same time from the same non-mineralized pyroclastic or lava flow. It is as if the board and the nail in it somehow formed at the same time.

Once the pyroclastic or lava flow has started to cool into dacite, a crust forms and as this crust cools, it shrinks and cracks. These cracks expose the still molten material inside the crust to changes in temperature and pressure. Since the type of rock formed from the flow depends on the temperature and pressure it cools at, veins and columns of non-dacite rock , including quartz, form in the dacite where temperature and pressure are right for their formation. One gets newly formed dacite complete with veins. These different rocks formed at the same time have different hardnesses. After centuries of erosion, the harder rock is left behind, and one has a terrain with what appears to be columns and veins of post-dacite intrusions, but they aren't.

Does this mean that there aren't any post-dacite intrusions? Not necessarily, but it does certainly muddy the waters, making it much harder to identify the true post-dacite intrusions. Just one more nuance to Dutch Hunting.

Mike

azblackbird

Sep 27, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI Pro, GMT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think the quartz vein in the LDM is in the rock that underlies the Dacite/Tuff Volcanic Overlay. Where that mineralization shows through are from Volcanic Upthrusts, Shear Zones, Landslides, Earthquakes, and water/wind erosion. Places like that are where the Peraltas found their rich veins.
You just described (more or less) pretty much every gold bearing area in Arizona. So if the Peraltas were able to find those rich veins, don't you think that over the past 150+ years that the 1000's of people (many of them highly trained geologists) that scoured the land were able to discover, interpret, and even mine the same exact geological features that the Peraltas did years prior? :icon_scratch:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread