new show on the dutchman

Advocat

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truly enjoyed the show! I feel that it gave viewers a pretty good idea what searching for the LDM entails in general, including demonstrating that clues can be vague and there is a good deal more "out there" than the LDM. The scenery was sublime, no other word for it. And while I hope the show doesn't cause a surge in people heading out there to look, at least the risks and perils were pretty adequately shown or demonstrated ... which hopefully will be a deterrent to most.

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Somehiker who posts here fairly regularly has been to the "bat cave" a couple times in the last few years and posted lots of photos here on TNet although I don't have a link right now. That ladder has been there quite awhile.

I have to admit, several thoughts crossed my mind when I saw they were going up to the bat cave and going to climb that ladder

1) Serious sickness can occur from inhaling bat guano

2) I hope nobody gets seriously hurt trying to climb that ladder

3) I hope the Forest Service gets up there soon and tears the whole thing down because that area is going to get more attention now that people think there is a cross embedded in the wall up there and it's seriously a danger to both humans and the bats

It was discussed a few years ago on another site - I thought this was a good post about it...

Bat Cave.JPG

Last edited:

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So....this whole "no fly zone" thing. Since when is it a no fly zone? Maybe for civilian...

They say that drama for people who don't know any better. "MILITARY AIRCRAFT AND LAW ENFORCEMENT" can fly anywhere they please except over the White House unless specified by the White House. Any area that is a "NO FLY ZONE" is for civilian aircraft. Whatever aircraft they claim was flying in a "NO FLY ZONE" WAS/IS military!

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Frank mentioned that he and the others would be more than happy to answer some questions once the season was over. Now that it's over, I hope he will answer some- I know I have a few of my own that I'd like to ask.

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So its curious, the cast members flew over the Wilderness area in a helicopter on camera without issue or fear of it being a "no fly zone", and the pilot talked about the altitude from the ground being the only limitation. Yet when they see other helicopters from the ground, its suddenly a "no fly zone"? Hmmmm.....

Last edited:

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clue to producers and cast: steel wire was not something that existed when the Spanish and the Jesuits were in New Spain. If you find long pieces of wire, no matter how black or corroded, they are from modern times. They are not Jesuit or Spanish in any way, shape, or form.

Island Maser

Mar 9, 2015
Scottsdale
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clue to producers and cast: steel wire was not something that existed when the Spanish and the Jesuits were in New Spain. If you find long pieces of wire, no matter how black or corroded, they are from modern times. They are not Jesuit or Spanish in any way, shape, or form.

I agree 100%. Most likely an old ranch fence that got washed into the canyon from above. That ladder is also no older than 50 year at the most. What was with the blue painters tape it had around it in spots and the steel cable that was attached? The cross was pretty cool. Looked like it was cemented into place. Sealed shaft or vault? Is that area located in the wilderness? Great ending for the show. I hope there is a season 2.

pkdmslf

Feb 26, 2015
Aridzona
Detector(s) used
El Tesoro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As was posted earlier in this thread there are several people who know where that bat cave is loacated. They said it wasn't far from the road. Also the lower portion of the ladder was made of angle irion with square stock sections welded on. The Jesuits must have been pretty skilled in their day. The presumption from the show is that it is an old cave that the Jesuits placed the cross. With the 'modern' ladder, it would make sense that someone else has already been there. I hope that nobody gets hurt trying to find that cave in that canyon or someone climbing that ladder in the bat cave to see that fake cross (which was more than likely placed somewhere else for filming). I guess the show must go on.

P.S. Frank and Woody sure do get spooked easily. Guys who prospect in the desert get scared that easily? Frank wants to discharge his gun at noises?
As goofy as it is, I admit I still watch it...and shake my head a lot. :icon_scratch:

Last edited:

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Frank mentioned that he and the others would be more than happy to answer some questions once the season was over. Now that it's over, I hope he will answer some- I know I have a few of my own that I'd like to ask.

First question. I didn't see the six shows but some posts claim that they filmed parts in the SWA. If so, were they filming with the required commercial film permit? If so, what evidence did you present to convince the park archeologist to support your application for the permit? That's not an easy thing by any measure.

If no permit was issued or applied for, why did they film in the SWA despite the federal regulations, if indeed they did?

Island Maser

Mar 9, 2015
Scottsdale
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As was posted earlier in this thread there are several people who know where that bat cave is loacated. They said it wasn't far from the road. Also the lower portion of the ladder was made of angle irion with square stock sections welded on. The Jesuits must have been pretty skilled in their day. The presumption from the show is that it is an old cave that the Jesuits placed the cross. With the 'modern' ladder, it would make sense that someone else has already been there. I hope that nobody gets hurt trying to find that cave in that canyon or someone climbing that ladder in the bat cave to see that fake cross (which was more than likely placed somewhere else for filming). I guess the show must go on.

P.S. Frank and Woody sure do get spooked easily. Guys who prospect in the desert get scared that easily? Frank wants to discharge his gun at noises?
As goofy as it is, I admit I still watch it...and shake my head a lot. :icon_scratch:

My exact question also. As an ex cop you fire warning shots when you here some banging,lol.

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
I'm sure Deducer will you tell you. If a actor draws the intended response from the audience he played his part well. It's a TV show. Business is booming in AJ and the legend lives on.
I went to the Treasurer Hunter of the year dinner in AJ last night. Wayne received a special award and Jack San Felice treasure hunter of the year. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1426532042.146413.jpg

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
I'm sure Deducer will you tell you. If a actor draws the intended response from the audience he played his part well. It's a TV show. Business is booming in AJ and the legend lives on.
I went to the Treasurer Hunter of the year dinner in AJ last night. Wayne received a special award and Jack San Felice treasure hunter of the year. View attachment 1132027

So, you were acting. You are an actor and your goal was simply to drive traffic into Apache Junction and Tortilla Flat.
There it is. A spark of honesty. Well, I for one benefit by proxy from the traffic in TF and thank you for that. All business is good business, even monkey business.

Now go one step further. Your friends want to know. Were any of the things in question planted or staged or intentionally misrepresented by cast or crew? Or by associates? A simple YES or No will work.

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Are you sure?

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From another thread:

"It seems there are also a limited number of reasons such tales are created and believed to begin with 1) People without hope of wealth cling to the idea of becoming wealthy 2) tales are spread to draw people to an area for economic reasons (to draw in tourists) 3) People desire to elevate their status by claiming to know things that are not known by others 4) People make money from selling stories to media or the sale of maps 5) Delusions brought on by environmental factors or mental illness."

From an earlier post here:

"If a actor draws the intended response from the audience he played his part well. It's a TV show. Business is booming in AJ and the legend lives on. "

I rest my case.

Last edited:

Advocat

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sgtfda -- do you know whether or not there will be a New Season? If you don't know yet, how soon will you find out?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions