Gold Laundering

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Then why did you highlight the part about the taxes?
There ain't nothin there about washing the gold. I do that when I get home.
An old toothbrush works fine for them little bits of rock.
Everything in there is covered in a grey dust. Some places pretty thick.

Last edited:

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1425400338.608674.jpg

As told to Garman by Herman and from Garmans book

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Then why did you highlight the part about the taxes?
There ain't nothin there about washing the gold. I do that when I get home.
An old toothbrush works fine for them little bits of rock.
Everything in there is covered in a grey dust. Some places pretty thick.

You thought that I was posting that to your off topic post? Wasn't. I was posting to the op.

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The possibility exists that Jake never actually had a box of gold under his death bed. Could it be that any gold supposedly bequeathed was actually gold already possessed by the recipients, but that it was ill gotten and they needed a cover story to have received it legitimately?

It would explain why the census has him as a farmer and why the gold went to a 'surprise' recipient. The ensuing lost mine fuss could have been just a distraction to legitimize the gold and avoid scrutiny. Also explains why he was of modest means, or at least lived so. Explains why the source has never been determined and no mine ever found.

Has this angle been bantered about yet?

I don't think anyone has, CN, but I suppose it's possible. Since it was Dick Holmes who had the gold after farmer Waltz died, and Holmes spent some time in the mountains both before and after that, perhaps it was actually he who had found and continued to work the gold mine. He just made up the story to make everyone else think there was no use in searching for the source of HIS gold, since they would now believe it came from Waltz.

Last edited:

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Chis, shallowly 'buried' under my bed, yes Was it ever clarified ??

Clarified? No. But then again its a story.

The page from the book says under his floor. As Hal pointed out he was named Walzer not Waltz in that book. It also says gold ore. Gold ore looks a whole lot different than the gold in quartz that many "believe" belonged to waltz/walzer/waldo.

Being that the flood was 18 feet above normal a small cottonwood tree wouldn't have saved anyone.

The only thing that makes any sense on that page is that they took him to julia instead of taking him to a doctor. (That is if julia really owned an ice cream parlor). I always want ice cream when I'm sick!

OP
OP
ConceptualizedNetherlandr
Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
Clarified? No. But then again its a story.

The page from the book says under his floor. As Hal pointed out he was named Walzer not Waltz in that book. It also says gold ore. Gold ore looks a whole lot different than the gold in quartz that many "believe" belonged to waltz/walzer/waldo.

Being that the flood was 18 feet above normal a small cottonwood tree wouldn't have saved anyone.
Do we know the elevation of the tree base compared to the normal river level?
The only thing that makes any sense on that page is that they took him to julia instead of taking him to a doctor. (That is if julia really owned an ice cream parlor). I always want ice cream when I'm sick!

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know if there was even a tree? The page from the book said he climbed a small tree.

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Makes sense for someone who's house was crumbling as the water level rose....to climb a tree.
His house may have been constructed on the highest part of his property as well, leaving him no other avenue for escape from the flood waters.
Happens a lot to people in similar circumstances. The many who had to be rescued from their rooftops in New Orleans, for example.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread