Maps

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The translation like the Stone Priest Map is in Spanish and Portuguese combo slang. I have a picture of a fish symbol but your not going to like it because most don't believe it. It's in shadow symbol in the same area on the Catalina Range below the giant "Seeing Eye Bird". It's also an ocean fish not a river or lake fish.

Bill

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Here are some pictures of the Kochera ore:

They were given to me by the man who took them. He told me he knew they came from the Pit Mine.:dontknow:

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Uuhhhmmm, it's a word written on a hand drawn map, drawn/written in 1960. No ancient symbols, no ancient language and no shadows. The map is posted in this thread.

The Indians picked up the slang from the Spanish.
It was a universal language just like in Africa the miners all speak slang.
John Kochera must have spoke some of it if he used it on a map.
Or possibly he heard it from another older Indian. I don't know but it is what it is.
Slang

Last edited:

Grandma Kochera

Greenie
Mar 12, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
More Kochera gold pics
gold.jpg

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With this letter I am enclosing a copy of the assays I had made on the ore we found. They are not too impressive

Always found that statement interesting when compared with the affidavit from 1991, photos of Kochera ore and assays. It's always possible he was writing about 2 different sets of "ores he found," but it does make one wonder doesn't it?

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Always found that statement interesting when compared with the affidavit from 1991, photos of Kochera ore and assays. It's always possible he was writing about 2 different sets of "ores he found," but it does make one wonder doesn't it?

That $49,000 gold-in-quartz Kochera ore works out to about 5% gold by weight per ton at 35$/tr oz, but when you take into consideration that gold's specific gravity is about seven times heavier than the quartz that contains it, then by volume the gold accounts for something less than 1% of the sample. This seems to fairly well match the visual richness of the Kochera ore photos. It's very good ore of course, so maybe Kochera was just being facetious with his "not too impressive" statement. On the other hand, when compared to the so-called matchbox ore - which contains much, much more visual gold in its matrix - maybe Kochera realized that his ore wasn't in the same ballpark.

Grandma Kochera

Greenie
Mar 12, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
I thought he was writing about 2 different sets of ore. I don't think the letter he wrote to Jake was just "out of the blue". I think they must have met in person prior to March 1974 and Kochera showed Jake some of the ore he had just found during that trip to gain Jakes trust and friendship. I think it worked and they at least became "acquainted." ("You seem to be an honest person and since you have about all the maps available"--Jake must have showed him some maps he had.) I think Kochera was still unsure about Jake and was only telling him about the ore he had showed him during their meeting. I think he was just starting to trust Jake with some info. Just the map. The letter doesn't sound like he had told Jake the story before. But this is all just my opinion and "possible" explanation.

Grandma Kochera

Greenie
Mar 12, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Some people must have thought Robert Simpson Jacob aka Crazy Jake was honest at one time or he wouldn't have been able to scam so many investors.

Grandma Kochera

Greenie
Mar 12, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, I agree he was not an honest man and has a very shady history. But would John Kochera know this in 1974 and would he actually write in a letter to Jake: "You seem to be a DIS-honest person and since you have about all the maps available I would like you to have these also." I think he was trying to stroke Jake's ego with his remark of Jake seeming to be an honest man in his letter. Again, just my opinion.

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, I agree he was not an honest man and has a very shady history. But would John Kochera know this in 1974 and would he actually write in a letter to Jake: "You seem to be a DIS-honest person and since you have about all the maps available I would like you to have these also." I think he was trying to stroke Jake's ego with his remark of Jake seeming to be an honest man in his letter. Again, just my opinion.

Or Kochera was simply fooled like everyone else. If a man like Lou Burkett could be duped into working for Jake, anyone could.

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This letter was posted by "novice" on another site. The letter is related to the Kochera/Haywood maps posted earlier in this thread.

<<Letter written by John B. Kochera on April 4, 1974 to “Crazy Jake” (Robert Simpson) Quote:

4 April 74

Dear Jake,

With this letter I am enclosing a copy of the assays I had made on the ore we found. They are not too impressive. Just thought you might care to know. Also inclosed is a map that I will detail to you. I don’t have the money to search for it. I am a darn good prospector but a piss poor salesman. I can’t get any money men to sponsor me in a search. So I am giving it to you. You seem to be an honest person and since you have about all the maps available I would like you to have these also. I hope you find it and if you do remember me in some small way. In 1960 I met an Apache Indian named Haywood, he was from the Verde river country in Arizona. He was in Milwaukee going to vocational school, which the government sent him to along with some others. We became good friends and one night he was over at my house and we got to drinking heavy. I started talking about finding gold in Mexico and then he told me this. In the spring of 1942, he and fourteen other men went on horses up the salt river to Labarge canyon Then up Labarge canyon to squaw canyon. They turned up squaw canyon, passed by the box canyon, then passed on the north side of three red hills. Then turned north about 1 mile and turned west to a hill north of the box canyon. There is a tunnel at the south side base of the hill, with brush and small trees nearly hiding it. They then went to the top of the hill and uncovered a pit. They took out about $50,000 in gold. When they left they covered the pit again. The vein of gold is in a soft black rock and on both sides of the black vein is red rock. Haywood was thirty-seven years old when I met him. He believed strongly that something bad would happen if he told a white man, but since I am part Indian, he thought it would be all right. In July 1960, he and another guy was killed in a head on crash with a trailer truck. For fourteen years I’ve kept this to myself and you are now the only person I’ve told this to. I hope it does some good to you. I personally believe this is the dutchman’s mine. I wish I could search for it, but just don’t see how. I would appreciate hearing from you on what you think of this. I’ll close for now and if you have any questions I’ll be glad to help you out. I believe you are the person all this was predestined for.

Good Luck and best wishes,

Johnny Kochera
RT 1 Box 34
Yuba, Wis 54672

P.S. Thes are machine copies of the originals

Affidavit written by John B. Kochera on December 7, 1991 for Ron Feldman
(Ron had purchased about 6 specimens of gold ore from Kochera)

Quote:
The gold ore specimens, now in possesion of Ron Feldman were found by my brother Joe and I in April 1962. We were headed up squaw canyon in search of a mine, the directions of which were given to me by a man named Haywood. Joe and I decided to cut over black mountain (Malipai) and go into the head of Charlebois canyon, and then down to the spring, then back out to Bull Pass. While we were crossing the saddle on Malipai we came across a pile of gold ore. It had been in an old rotten leather or rawhide bag. There was 24 pounds of it. We searched all around but could find no more, nor was there any bones or skeletons. We thought that there must be a mine nearby where it came from, but after years of searching we never could find it.

The ore assayed $49,728.00 per ton at $35.00/oz. The smaller pieces assay at only $28,111.00 per ton so we thought the little pieces came from a stringer off of the main ore shoot. This still did not help us locate the source.

John B. Kochera
7 Dec. 1991>>

Great stuff! Thank you for sharing!!!

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
This letter was posted by "novice" on another site. The letter is related to the Kochera/Haywood maps posted earlier in this thread.

<<Letter written by John B. Kochera on April 4, 1974 to “Crazy Jake” (Robert Simpson) Quote:

4 April 74

Dear Jake,

With this letter I am enclosing a copy of the assays I had made on the ore we found. They are not too impressive. Just thought you might care to know. Also inclosed is a map that I will detail to you. I don’t have the money to search for it. I am a darn good prospector but a piss poor salesman. I can’t get any money men to sponsor me in a search. So I am giving it to you. You seem to be an honest person and since you have about all the maps available I would like you to have these also. I hope you find it and if you do remember me in some small way. In 1960 I met an Apache Indian named Haywood, he was from the Verde river country in Arizona. He was in Milwaukee going to vocational school, which the government sent him to along with some others. We became good friends and one night he was over at my house and we got to drinking heavy. I started talking about finding gold in Mexico and then he told me this. In the spring of 1942, he and fourteen other men went on horses up the salt river to Labarge canyon Then up Labarge canyon to squaw canyon. They turned up squaw canyon, passed by the box canyon, then passed on the north side of three red hills. Then turned north about 1 mile and turned west to a hill north of the box canyon. There is a tunnel at the south side base of the hill, with brush and small trees nearly hiding it. They then went to the top of the hill and uncovered a pit. They took out about $50,000 in gold. When they left they covered the pit again. The vein of gold is in a soft black rock and on both sides of the black vein is red rock. Haywood was thirty-seven years old when I met him. He believed strongly that something bad would happen if he told a white man, but since I am part Indian, he thought it would be all right. In July 1960, he and another guy was killed in a head on crash with a trailer truck. For fourteen years I’ve kept this to myself and you are now the only person I’ve told this to. I hope it does some good to you. I personally believe this is the dutchman’s mine. I wish I could search for it, but just don’t see how. I would appreciate hearing from you on what you think of this. I’ll close for now and if you have any questions I’ll be glad to help you out. I believe you are the person all this was predestined for.

Good Luck and best wishes,

Johnny Kochera
RT 1 Box 34
Yuba, Wis 54672

P.S. Thes are machine copies of the originals

Affidavit written by John B. Kochera on December 7, 1991 for Ron Feldman
(Ron had purchased about 6 specimens of gold ore from Kochera)

Quote:
The gold ore specimens, now in possesion of Ron Feldman were found by my brother Joe and I in April 1962. We were headed up squaw canyon in search of a mine, the directions of which were given to me by a man named Haywood. Joe and I decided to cut over black mountain (Malipai) and go into the head of Charlebois canyon, and then down to the spring, then back out to Bull Pass. While we were crossing the saddle on Malipai we came across a pile of gold ore. It had been in an old rotten leather or rawhide bag. There was 24 pounds of it. We searched all around but could find no more, nor was there any bones or skeletons. We thought that there must be a mine nearby where it came from, but after years of searching we never could find it.

The ore assayed $49,728.00 per ton at $35.00/oz. The smaller pieces assay at only $28,111.00 per ton so we thought the little pieces came from a stringer off of the main ore shoot. This still did not help us locate the source.

John B. Kochera
7 Dec. 1991>>

Here are two interpretations of Haywood's journey.

Last edited:

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Last edited:

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Why do these sworn affidavits show assays as $$$ @ $/oz? I never heard of such an assay! Any assay that I've seen is grams and/or oz per ton and/or ppm.

$49,728.00 per ton at $35.00/oz. = over 44,000 ppm/grams per ton. Big commercial mines will mine one ppm/grams per ton.

Last edited:

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
This is just an idea....
I cant help but see a connection between this line and a profile of the Superstitions from a distance. Not sure where a person would need to be standing to view
View attachment 1130624 this but wanted to ask for some opinions.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread